Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

myemosoul

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2010
Could someone please give me the step by step to install the GM on my iPhone 5 with a Windows PC, I paid the 99 dollar developer fee and have been using the os7 betas. I downloaded the GM seed from the dev portal but when I try to restore iTunes won't let me, I saw in a couple posts that you can restore from iCloud but you won't be able to use iTunes until 11.1 comes out, how do I do this?
Thanks.

chelle7i

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2013
iPhone Restore

Could someone please give me the step by step to install the GM on my iPhone 5 with a Windows PC, I paid the 99 dollar developer fee and have been using the os7 betas. I downloaded the GM seed from the dev portal but when I try to restore iTunes won't let me, I saw in a couple posts that you can restore from iCloud but you won't be able to use iTunes until 11.1 comes out, how do I do this?
Thanks.

I'm not sure why people are saying that you need to restore your phone, but I used the non dev link using Windows, and I just went into my phone>settings>iCloud>Backup. Then I opened iTunes (the latest Windows version, no beta), held the shift key and clicked "check for updates". It worked fine for my device. As you said though, I can't backup, restore, or sync on iTunes until the new iTunes comes out, but we can use iCloud until then from my understanding. I'm new to this as well! :)

uncleungie

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2007
Does anyone know if the GM added translucency to the iPhone 4? It's unlikely but you never know..

I doubt it...most of the translucency effects have been removed from the iPad 2! They were removed in the most recent beta...I thought they would be added back, but to no avail.

myemosoul

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2010
I'm not sure why people are saying that you need to restore your phone, but I used the non dev link using Windows, and I just went into my phone>settings>iCloud>Backup. Then I opened iTunes (the latest Windows version, no beta), held the shift key and clicked "check for updates". It worked fine for my device. As you said though, I can't backup, restore, or sync on iTunes until the new iTunes comes out, but we can use iCloud until then from my understanding. I'm new to this as well! :)

Can I do this with the offical dev download though?
When I click shift and Check For Updates the official update I downloaded doesn't show up so I can't install.

chelle7i

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2013
Windows Download

Can I do this with the offical dev download though?
When I click shift and Check For Updates the official update I downloaded doesn't show up so I can't install.

I use Firefox, and on the right of the address entry, it shows recent downloads and the progress of downloads. I always check here to see where the file is stored afterwards. Do you know where you stored the file? If it isn't there, you may have to re-download the link and pay careful attention of where you're storing it so that you will be able to find it.

myemosoul

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2010
I use Firefox, and on the right of the address entry, it shows recent downloads and the progress of downloads. I always check here to see where the file is stored afterwards. Do you know where you stored the file? If it isn't there, you may have to re-download the link and pay careful attention of where you're storing it so that you will be able to find it.

I downloaded the file to my desktop but when I Shift-click "Check For Updates" and check the desktop it's not showing.

chelle7i

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2013
Windows Download

I downloaded the file to my desktop but when I Shift-click "Check For Updates" and check the desktop it's not showing.

Hmmm...try downloading it again and storing it in a different location like documents and see if it will appear there. Let me know if it works! I can't think of why it wouldn't show up on the desktop unless it wasn't downloaded completely because it timed-out or something :confused:

sbailey4

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2011
USA
So you managed to install without a backup, you just downloaded itunes 11.1 beta, and installed IOS 7 from there? did you loose anything from your phone? messages, contacts etc?

So Andiss, I suppose the answer for you is to just do the shift (or option) + update.then select the file. That will perform an update not a restore. An update does not require to restore a backup. So if you are not going to wait util next week when iOS7 releases and most likely iTunes 11.1 releases as well I would recommend you update and not restore. Otherwise you need a backup on iCloud and perhaps iTunes as well so you will have more options when all released software is available.

Obviously it would be best to just wait until all are released products presumably next Wednesday.

Last edited:

boombashi

macrumors 6502
Feb 4, 2005
I think Apple decided, "We're paying for these animations, so we are going to make them as painfully slow and annoying as possible...", I was really hoping for a speed up.

myemosoul

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2010
Needs to be in the .ipsw format for iTunes to see it. Make sure you've extracted it in case it was zipped or rared.

This is the name of the file I downloaded from the dev center:
ios_7_gm_seed__iphone_5_model_a1428__11a465.dmg

I don't see anything on there listed in a ipsw format. Where can I find it?
Thanks for everyone's help so far, greatly appreciated.

TiBook550

macrumors member
Jan 6, 2004
Atl, GA

The .ipsw restore file is inside the .dmg file you downloaded. In OS X, you would just mount the dmg to get to it's contents. I'm not sure if Windows is the same. Maybe try double-clicking the file first to see if it mounts to your desktop.

chelle7i

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2013
.dmg file

I used a program called Power ISO from the download section on CNET. I don't know about others running Windows, but it can extract the ipsw out of a dmg. Here's the link http://download.cnet.com/PowerISO/3000-2646_4-10439118.html?tag=mncol;3

squall101403

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2011
Thanks.

You can install iOS7 GM using latest iTunes for windows. Then after that. iTunes can no longer detect devices running the GM. iTunes 11.1 is required

menano

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2011
Neverland
So Andiss, I suppose the answer for you is to just do the shift (or option) + update.then select the file. That will perform an update not a restore. An update does not require to restore a backup. So if you are not going to wait util next week when iOS7 releases and most likely iTunes 11.1 releases as well I would recommend you update and not restore. Otherwise you need a backup on iCloud and perhaps iTunes as well so you will have more options when all released software is available.

Why do you suggest the update is better than the restore?

amirite

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2009
Spot the erreur...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 118

patent10021

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2004
Recently my iPhone 4 seems a bit slow on iOS6. Should I even bother updating to iOS7? Is it possible that iOS7 could perform better on my iPhone 4 than iOS6?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Recently my iPhone 4 seems a bit slow on iOS6. Should I even bother updating to iOS7? Is it possible that iOS7 could perform better on my iPhone 4 than iOS6?
It can. One doesn't really relate to the other all that much.

eklof

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2011

I think it might actually. IOS7 looks a bit more lightweight than 6 actually, with none of those textures which must be harder to render for the gpu.

zhivkom

macrumors member
Jul 29, 2010
Things I've found so far:
-There are new sounds and wallpapers, but the default Tri-tone sound is also different, sounds more metallic. The Siri sound is also more metallic. And the lock sound too, but it doesn't have unlock one.
- There are new icons in settings for Notification and Control Centers, and Wallpapers & Brightness

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.