Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

benji888

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2006
United States
so, on apple.com, they updated the iphones with iOS 7, but not anything else, still iOS 6 on iPads, ipod touches.

looks like this is GM for iPhones, and the last beta for iPads.

iOS 7.0 Sept. 18th release to public for iPhones only.

iOS 7.0.1 coming to iPads next month (& iPod touch).

Anyone know status of Apple TV 5.4?

everything-i

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2012
London, UK
Few questions...

When restoring your iPhone or iOS Device, do you guys get an option of downloading the iWork suite, iPhoto and iMovie for free. I.e Can people with older iPhones set up their iPhone as a new one and download iWork for free?

What happens when iOS 7 is released to the public next week? If this is the same one, does one still have to upgrade on Sept 18th?

My understanding was that you only get the apps free with a new device. I could be wrong but that is what seemed to be said in the keynote.

tywebb13

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2012
looks like this is GM for iPhones, and the last beta for iPads.

I don't think so. I put the GM on a ipad 3 and the file I downloaded from apple's ios dev center is called

ios_7_gm_seed__ipad_wifi__cellular_model_for_att__11a465.dmg

That's a GM seed, not a beta.

I reckon the last beta for ipads was beta 6.

They may decide to do public releases at different times for different devices. Maybe this has more to do with managing server overload than what constitutes a GM or beta.

Last edited:

Yumbo

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2011
Australia
LTE got disabled for me here in Australia on Vodafone.

As in it won't detect anything above 3G.

Anyone else?

Also, the lock screen image from camera roll will only show on boot up.
Picking an Apple image causes it to zoom and blur.
Hmmm, lock screen image is now working.

I did an update and not restore.

4G is now showing again.

Seems like some background verification is going through the motions.

Last edited:

tywebb13

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2012
That's interesting.

I'm from Australia too. I have an ipad 3 on ios 7 and an ipad 4 on ios 6 which I was keen to update to ios 7 too soon till I saw your post.

This is going to cause a storm if it is a widespread problem in Australia.

I'm on Telstra. Maybe it's just a Vodafone problem. But I'll do the update when is becomes publicly available for the ipad 4 and let you know what happens.

brentg33

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2007
I was able to update to the GM using the current regular release of itunes, not the 11.1 beta. I did get an error, however, i did restore my iphone successuflly and do have build 11A465 (the GM) installed. I guess you need the itunes beta for syncing with itunes/mac?

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
Since the GM is the same as the release version, does it mean that after installing the GM, when a new version of iOS 7 is available say 7.0.1, I will be able to update via OTA to it as normal? Thank you.

Belmont31R

macrumors 6502
Nov 23, 2012
Went from beta 6 to GM on AT&T iPhone 5 and the GM is definitely better. Fully charged before bed, unplugged while sleeping, woke up, and at 95% battery. Phone has only gotten warm when downloading all my music. Safari is smoother. Was getting crashes prob 2-3 a day on beta 6. None so far on GM.

Was able to install it on a Mac running 10.8.2 using option Restore. Can't sync with iTunes but that Mac isn't mine. iCloud backup worked fine from one I did earlier yesterday on beta 6.

So far I am happy and the GM looks to be a pretty solid build.

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
Recently my iPhone 4 seems a bit slow on iOS6. Should I even bother updating to iOS7? Is it possible that iOS7 could perform better on my iPhone 4 than iOS6?

My experience so far is not that great. There seem to be slight delays when opening apps or folders and many animations seem to lag a bit (e.g. Notification Centre and Spotlight). Some third-party apps are much worse even, especially Whatsapp. I also noticed some graphical glitches with older apps, where the menu would not be completely rendered for a split-second or some UI elements are messed up (e.g. Facebook comments and Dropbox). I suppose these are the things that have to be sorted out by app developers, but it might be worth the wait for a couple of months. I am going back to iOS 6 for a while.

BTWhite

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2013
Why are people asking about Windows? This is for iOS developers. You can't develop for iOS without XCode which is Mac only.

There are other reasons to have early access, other than to develop apps. We use iPhones in our enterprise environment and we need to be sure that when iOS 7 drops to the public that all our users won't have issues getting their email, calendars, etc. from our exchange server.

NNowak19

macrumors member
Jul 29, 2013
iPhone 5 Transparency

Any one having trouble with the Control Center and Notification Center not being transparent with your background? I'm running GM version iPhone 5.

taptic

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2012
California
So did anyone find out whether or not restoring your device to the GM allows you to download the iWork, iLife apps free?

brentg33

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2007
i restored my iphone 5 to GM. Just went to the app store. pages and numbers are still listed @ $9.99 each

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Any one having trouble with the Control Center and Notification Center not being transparent with your background? I'm running GM version iPhone 5.

In Settings, go to Accessibility, and look at Increase Contrast. Is it on? If so, turn it off. If it's already off, turn it on, then back to off. Let me know if any of that fixes it.

So did anyone find out whether or not restoring your device to the GM allows you to download the iWork, iLife apps free?

No, it does not. It only works for devices whose initial activation is September 1st or later.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Went from beta 6 to GM on AT&T iPhone 5 and the GM is definitely better. Fully charged before bed, unplugged while sleeping, woke up, and at 95% battery. Phone has only gotten warm when downloading all my music. Safari is smoother. Was getting crashes prob 2-3 a day on beta 6. None so far on GM.

Was able to install it on a Mac running 10.8.2 using option Restore. Can't sync with iTunes but that Mac isn't mine. iCloud backup worked fine from one I did earlier yesterday on beta 6.

So far I am happy and the GM looks to be a pretty solid build.

Same experience here. Did an update to the GM vs. a restore, of course, all my data/settings were preserved.

Everything feels a bit quicker ... one +huge+ difference is cold start time: with Beta 6 it was long, with the GM, it seems about the same as 6.1.

Was the panoramic photo panning when used as a wallpaper supposed to make it through to the GM?

rayGT

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2012
Which seed do I download, AT&T or Verizon? I bought the phone as a Verizon unlocked (a1429) but currently using GSM T-Mobile.

JohnDoe98

macrumors 68020
May 1, 2009
Recently my iPhone 4 seems a bit slow on iOS6. Should I even bother updating to iOS7? Is it possible that iOS7 could perform better on my iPhone 4 than iOS6?

My experience so far has been positive. iOS 6 was fairly slow on my iPhone 4, and iOS 7 doesn't look any slower; however, I am not noticing any speed improvements, so overall my experience is about the same. It's too early for me to reach any conclusions regarding battery life. The only thing I find annoying, sometimes when I double click my home button, nothing happens, though admittedly I was having this issue on iOS 6, but not as frequently. So I have to resort to trying this a few times before I get the desired result.

agprint

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2003
California
Changes from b6 to GM noticed so far:
* Any reference to iCloud Keychain removed in iOS7, labelled as "coming soon" on Apple's website (!)
* New still and dynamic wallpapers
I am thrilled to have one of my photographs included in the new wallpaper images! It's the black and white image of Tenaya Lake with the granite ridges and clouds.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.