Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has seeded a new version of Mac OS X 10.6.5 to developers this evening. Build 10H548 comes only two weeks after Build 10H542 which was seeded on September 14th. The seed notes appear relatively sparse with no known issues and the following "focus areas":

- 3D Graphics
- iCal
- Mail
- QuickTime
- Time Machine
- USB Devices

Apple's 10.6.4 update was released back in June, 2010. The frequency of developer seeds seemed to have slowed surrounding the iOS 4.1 launch, and appears to be picking back up. A public release date for Mac OS X 10.6.5 remains unknown.

Article Link: Apple Seeds Mac OS X 10.6.5 (10H548) to Developers

rikers_mailbox

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2003
LA-la-land
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

My guess: 10.6.5 adds support for iOS 4.2, including AirPlay and AirPrint. watch for it in early November.

Possibly even a build for the mythical MacBook Air refresh.

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
Wtb

Who the @#$% rated this as negative??? Who actually thinks that this is a bad thing?

I'm assuming it has to do with stability, security, or ATV support. As usual :rolleyes: :apple:

What really ticks me off is how I get a million updates for stuff I don't have like how iTunes 10 featured Ping (I can't use the iTunes Store because I don't have Safari 4 < because I don't have 10.5.8< because of a glitch). Even worse is those updates that add iPhone compatibility as if it's trying to rub in my face the fact that I don't have an iPhone :mad: but it's not enough for me to go around rating these posts as negative like someone did.

So the negative rater either hated update notifications or was a troll :rolleyes:

macintoshtoffy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2009
New Zealand
3D graphics? Another driver update?

I'd probably say it has more to do with OpenGL rather than the drivers itself - the drivers aren't the problem, it the lack of OpenGL optimisation, the lack of GLSL 1.3 and the uniform_buffer_object extension. Hopefully Apple is moving closer to addressing those issues because not all of the performance issues are related to the driver on the hardware.

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
3D graphics? Another driver update?

Nice signature, slowpoke. I got into an argument about Mac OS X vs Windows and the other guy said that MS's OS was better than Apple's OS because Dells have better processors...wow what the heck so a processor is software :confused:

I said that Mac OS X can do everything Windows can do (while being stable) and way more so how is Windows better? He asked how. I said that I use a VM if I need to run a Windows app (which I do about once a month). He said "What's the point of wasting $1K if you use it for Windows?". I almost called him an idiot because I JUST SAID "and way more". Then he got mad at me :rolleyes:
That is my argument I use against Windows fanboys who won't listen unless I tell them about the VM. Otherwise, if I talk about how Mac OS X itsself is superior, it turns into aggressive yelling from the other guy "Mac OS is more stable...YEAH THAT'S BECAUSE IT SUCKS AND DOESN'T RUN ANYTHING. Mac OS doesn't use as much RAM or processor power...YEAH THAT'S BECAUSE THEY CAN'T BECAUSE THEY HAVE CORE i5s. Dude, you shouldn't need a 3.3 GHz processor to run an OS without lagging. BWAGSGASG"
That's what usually happens.

DigitalLifeDad

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2004
Not compatible with iTunes 10.1 ?

I just updated to the new build and then had an issue with iTunes 10.1.

Every folder and playlist was simply a white screen. Ping did not login.

SuperDuper'd back to previous build. Back to normal.

Might just have been me, but be aware.

Cheers

cav23j

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2008
here were the updates listed in the last build 10H542

- improve reliability with Microsoft Exchange servers
- resolve a delay between print jobs
- address a printing issue for some HP printers connected to an Airport Extreme
- resolve an issue when dragging contacts from Address Book to iCal
- address an issue where dragging an item from a stack causes the Dock to not automatically hide
- add SSL support for uploading files to iDisk
- resolve an issue with Wikipedia information not displaying correctly in Dictionary
- improve performance of MainStage on certain Mac systems
- resolve spacing issues with OpenType fonts
- improve reliability with some Bluetooth braille displays
- resolve a VoiceOver issue when browsing some web sites with Safari 5
- address stability and performance of graphics applications and games

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
I just updated to the new build and then had an issue with iTunes 10.1.

Every folder and playlist was simply a white screen. Ping did not login.

SuperDuper'd back to previous build. Back to normal.

Might just have been me, but be aware.

Cheers

Oh, now I see who rates these negative: People who have had problems with it. In that case, I should have rated 10.5.8 update negative because it screwed up my OS, forcing me to CCC it back.

Then again, not very many people have their hands on 10.6.5 yet, so most of the negative ratings must still be trolls or something ;)

But not you, Ethernnet (if you rated it negative). Are you part of the Apple dev program?

There are a lot of haters in this forum.

I don't hate anyone. I'm just really confused about why someone would rate this negative unless it somehow caused them issues.

here were the updates listed in the last build 10H542

- improve reliability with Microsoft Exchange servers
- resolve a delay between print jobs
- address a printing issue for some HP printers connected to an Airport Extreme
- resolve an issue when dragging contacts from Address Book to iCal
- address an issue where dragging an item from a stack causes the Dock to not automatically hide
- add SSL support for uploading files to iDisk
- resolve an issue with Wikipedia information not displaying correctly in Dictionary
- improve performance of MainStage on certain Mac systems
- resolve spacing issues with OpenType fonts
- improve reliability with some Bluetooth braille displays
- resolve a VoiceOver issue when browsing some web sites with Safari 5
- address stability and performance of graphics applications and games

Ah man, too bad I don't have Snow Leopard.

cvaldes

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2006
somewhere else
I don't hate anyone. I'm just really confused about why someone would rate this negative unless it somehow caused them issues.
No, I'm talking about people who hate Apple. People who hate Macs. People who hate the iPhone. People who hate iTunes. People who hate Steve Jobs. People who hate the AAPL shareholders laughing all the way to the bank. Et cetera ad nauseam.

Those haters.

They like to hang out at tech forums and vote down any article that doesn't explicitly criticize Apple.

smartalic34

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2006
USA
I'm pretty sure people are rating this negatively because of this tidbit:

The frequency of developer seeds seemed to have slowed surrounding the iOS 4.1 launch, and appears to be picking back up.

A lot of Mac users (myself included, though I'm not that passionate) are a bit wary of Apple devoting so many resources to iOS, at the expense of Mac OS X. Updates take longer (iWork is a perfect example, along with 10.6.x updates) and development occurs depending on whether iOS development is needed.

This may or may not be true, but that's what it seems like sometimes. Perhaps Apple needs to hire a few more software engineers?

cav23j

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2008
im hoping the release to the public coincides with the october macbook update

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
But Apple doesn't care about OS X.

OMG (Oh My Goodness!) - we agree on something. ;)

Or mostly - I don't think that "Apple doesn't care about OSX" - but there's a lot of evidence that Apple OSX and Apple computers are "back burner" compared to the Igadgets.

Imola Ghost

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2009
I'd like to see a more streamlined iTunes or something to take it's place. Why do we have Quicktime, iMovie, iTunes, iSync etc when they could make one program to do all of this.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
OMG (Oh My Goodness!) - we agree on something. ;)

Or mostly - I don't think that "Apple doesn't care about OSX" - but there's a lot of evidence that Apple OSX and Apple computers are "back burner" compared to the Igadgets.

In time . . . OS X = iOS and iOS = OS X.

It's better to welcome the change. Don't fight it. ;)

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
Nobody cares what's "better". Just use what you like. Once you discover this, you get into a lot less stupid merit-less arguments.

-Z

Nice signature, slowpoke. I got into an argument about Mac OS X vs Windows and the other guy said that MS's OS was better than Apple's OS because Dells have better processors...wow what the heck so a processor is software :confused:

OS X is fairly mature and doesn't need a really fast update schedule anymore.

I don't know about you but 10.6.4 has been rock solid for me. I haven't had any crashes, and performance has been excellent all around on all the machines I use it on. (2006 Mac Pro, 2007 iMac at work, and my 2010 Macbook Pro)

If anything I'd rather they continue to refine the OS for stability and performance rather than try to enhance it anymore. It is a beautiful system and there is little I would change about it right now.

-Z

I'm pretty sure people are rating this negatively because of this tidbit:

A lot of Mac users (myself included, though I'm not that passionate) are a bit wary of Apple devoting so many resources to iOS, at the expense of Mac OS X. Updates take longer (iWork is a perfect example, along with 10.6.x updates) and development occurs depending on whether iOS development is needed.

This may or may not be true, but that's what it seems like sometimes. Perhaps Apple needs to hire a few more software engineers?

mex4eric

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2009
Ottawa, Canada
10.6.4 is just fine, but ...

My main gripe is spinning beach ball on Safari opening "big" websites, could be Flash, but was the same when I installed click2flash. It may be all those "hover over" preloads the big sites use, but there must be a solution to the beachball.

This is a 2.4 MHz MacBook 5,1 (unibody).

Maybe 10.6.5 will help.

DigitalLifeDad

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2004
Oh, now I see who rates these negative: People who have had problems with it. In that case, I should have rated 10.5.8 update negative because it screwed up my OS, forcing me to CCC it back.

Then again, not very many people have their hands on 10.6.5 yet, so most of the negative ratings must still be trolls or something ;)

But not you, Ethernnet (if you rated it negative). Are you part of the Apple dev program?

I am part of the Apple Developer Program for Mac and iOS.
I did not rate this story negative.

johnnymg

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2008
Who the @#$% rated this as negative??? Who actually thinks that this is a bad thing?

I'm assuming it has to do with stability, security, or ATV support. As usual :rolleyes: :apple:

What really ticks me off is how I get a million updates for stuff I don't have like how iTunes 10 featured Ping (I can't use the iTunes Store because I don't have Safari 4 < because I don't have 10.5.8< because of a glitch). Even worse is those updates that add iPhone compatibility as if it's trying to rub in my face the fact that I don't have an iPhone :mad: but it's not enough for me to go around rating these posts as negative like someone did.

So the negative rater either hated update notifications or was a troll :rolleyes:

The ubiquitous MR negative nabobs strike again!

LouieSamman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
Orlando, Florida
We're heading into 10.6.5 and it got me thinking how close we are getting to 10.7

I'm excited to see what they will do for 10.7

You guys think theres going to be some UI differences?

-adding more features.

-More customization such as more docks to choose from.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.