Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Then again, not very many people have their hands on 10.6.5 yet, so most of the negative ratings must still be trolls or something ;)

Anybody who runs 10.6.5 right now is under NDA and has a legal agreement with Apple not to tell you _anything_ about it, including not telling you whether it is good or bad (not that there aren't plenty of idiots who don't care).

macintoshtoffy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2009
New Zealand
Anybody who runs 10.6.5 right now is under NDA and has a legal agreement with Apple not to tell you _anything_ about it, including not telling you whether it is good or bad (not that there aren't plenty of idiots who don't care).

Not only under NDA but is still being tested! the whole bloody point of testing is to find bugs!

Why the hell people are running it after downloading it off their favour torrent site god only knows - I'd sooner wait till the final release then lose half my university work within a few seconds.

Žalgiris

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2010
Lithuania
Not only under NDA but is still being tested! the whole bloody point of testing is to find bugs!

Why the hell people are running it after downloading it off their favour torrent site god only knows - I'd sooner wait till the final release then lose half my university work within a few seconds.

Had no problems with any og 10.6.5 builds.

P.S. Don't tell anyone :) Well that's what my friend said anyway.

jon08

macrumors 68000
Nov 14, 2008
It would be good if they fixed graphics. I occasionally still get glitchy graphics when for example clicking the Home button in Safari and then simultaneously hovering my mouse over the Dock (which I have set to automatically appear/hide).

Also, the gaming experience in Steam is horrendous. Please do something about it.

star-affinity

macrumors 68000
Nov 14, 2007
My main gripe is spinning beach ball on Safari opening "big" websites, could be Flash, but was the same when I installed click2flash. It may be all those "hover over" preloads the big sites use, but there must be a solution to the beachball.

This is a 2.4 MHz MacBook 5,1 (unibody).

Maybe 10.6.5 will help.

I have a feeling Flash is the cause of this (at least a part of it).

I'm only guessing here, but I don't think Click2Flash stops the Flash plug-in from loading (which by the way is quite a bit slower than it is on Windows, causing a delay before loading a site that contains Flash – at least the first time a Flash site loads), but it just blocks Flash elements from being displayed. I mean, Click2Flash still allows you to load the Flash animation when you ask for it, right?

macintoshtoffy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2009
New Zealand
Yep, just formatted my USB drive to ExFAT using 10.6.5's Disk Utility. :)

I wonder whether this was the result of Apple licensing it off Microsoft or reverse engineering? I'd assume that since exFAT is patented Apple would have gone down the legal route and licensed what they needed :) IMHO, I want to see them add exFAT support for their airport extreme routers too - that would be awesome! :D

osxtasy

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2009
Really want see SC2 run better?

I hope they do it right this time, I wanna see SC2 running as its supposed to run, I wanna see Aperture 3 not hanging up.

G.

Run SC2 in Windows (XP even) and you WILL see it run "PROPERLY". Gaming is RARELY a problem in Windows, but most people (even here) already know that, however they generally always try to "wish" it wasn't true.

For this reason(among a few others), I always keep at least a 2 year old dedicated windows box around(yes I could bootcamp XP, but the MBP cooling is NOT properly designed for gaming, eventually causing it to glitch/stutter/slideshow from overheating components downclocking), even though I enjoy using my macs for everything else. My 2 year old generic windows box is sporting an OLD 8600GTS, and gets 5 times better frame rate than any of my macs from 2009 or 2010 with NEWER Nvidia cards. THAT, is a weakness in OSX, and it IS APPLE's FAULT NO DOUBT!!!! :mad::mad:

As for Aperture, good luck with that one...:(:(

:apple::apple::apple:

propynyl

macrumors regular
Jul 3, 2007
Does this enable AIRPRINT?

Has anyone tried this new updated with IOS 4.2 beta 2 and a USB attached printer? AirPrint still doesn't work for me.

star-affinity

macrumors 68000
Nov 14, 2007
Run SC2 in Windows (XP even) and you WILL see it run "PROPERLY". Gaming is RARELY a problem in Windows, but most people (even here) already know that, however they generally always try to "wish" it wasn't true.

For this reason(among a few others), I always keep at least a 2 year old dedicated windows box around(yes I could bootcamp XP, but the MBP cooling is NOT properly designed for gaming, eventually causing it to glitch/stutter/slideshow from overheating components downclocking), even though I enjoy using my macs for everything else. My 2 year old generic windows box is sporting an OLD 8600GTS, and gets 5 times better frame rate than any of my macs from 2009 or 2010 with NEWER Nvidia cards. THAT, is a weakness in OSX, and it IS APPLE's FAULT NO DOUBT!!!! :mad::mad:

As for Aperture, good luck with that one...:(:(

:apple::apple::apple:

I really never understood this, because for me the difference isn't that drastical for most games. Take StarCraft 2 for example: while it might run a bit better in Windows 7 compared to Mac OS X 10.6.4 (I can imagine the lowest frame rate is better, i.e. higher than in Mac OS X) it's not like there's a huge difference.

I have the ATI Radeon 4890 card.

Also World of Warcraft runs just as well in Mac OS X as in Windows. Everyone seem to say the opposite, but I can't see/feel the difference.

Maybe it depends on the graphics card? Some drivers are worse for Mac OS X for some cards?

mex4eric

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2009
Ottawa, Canada
I have a feeling Flash is the cause of this (at least a part of it).

I'm only guessing here, but I don't think Click2Flash stops the Flash plug-in from loading (which by the way is quite a bit slower than it is on Windows, causing a delay before loading a site that contains Flash – at least the first time a Flash site loads), but it just blocks Flash elements from being displayed. I mean, Click2Flash still allows you to load the Flash animation when you ask for it, right?

Thanks. I had run "click2flash" for 6 months, then removed it and updated Flash to 10.2 for the hardware acceleration, but yesterday I reinstalled the latest click2flash, which uses Flash 10.0 and my Safari beachball problems have gone away. Maybe it was the implementation of the hardware acceleration?

Anyway, bring on 10.6.5!

Mr. Wonderful

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2009
I'd probably say it has more to do with OpenGL rather than the drivers itself - the drivers aren't the problem, it the lack of OpenGL optimisation, the lack of GLSL 1.3 and the uniform_buffer_object extension. Hopefully Apple is moving closer to addressing those issues because not all of the performance issues are related to the driver on the hardware.

Would be sweet.

Wonder if Quicktime X was updated with any new functionality yet?

Riemann Zeta

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2008
I wish Apple would just finally finish OpenGL 3.0 support by including GLSL 1.3, but that doesn't appear like it will happen. GLSL 1.3 is not in build 10H542, doubtful it will make it into 10.6.5.

gfiz

macrumors 6502
Dec 18, 2009
Virginia
Hey Steve...how about you get around to supporting those SSD's you sell with your hardware and give us some trim support? You're only about 2 years behind Windows now...

TJones

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2008
Gaming is RARELY a problem in Windows, but most people (even here) already know that, however they generally always try to "wish" it wasn't true.

That's not exactly true. A lot of people have problems while gaming. Their game freezes/crashes, lags out, or their OS/file system gets corrupted or infected with a virus. The only people who consistently have a good gaming experience are those that drop a lot of cash for high end gaming rigs. You will spend more money on a good gaming system than any iMac or MBP over time even if you manage to recycle your case.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
I have the ATI Radeon 4890 card.

Also World of Warcraft runs just as well in Mac OS X as in Windows. Everyone seem to say the opposite, but I can't see/feel the difference.

Maybe it depends on the graphics card? Some drivers are worse for Mac OS X for some cards?

Well, you have a pretty nice card. Any performance hit in OS X isn't really going to be noticable for you. I've got a lowly ATI Radeon 2600, and there is a huge difference playing SC2 in Bootcamp.

You will spend more money on a good gaming system than any iMac or MBP over time even if you manage to recycle your case.

Yes, because it's so much cheaper to upgrade everything, including the monitor, than a simple $200 graphics card upgrade. :rolleyes:

TJones

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2008
Yes, because it's so much cheaper to upgrade everything, including the monitor, than a simple $200 graphics card upgrade. :rolleyes:

It's cheaper to sell your used mac at 50-75% of it's retail value and just buy a new system than to try and sell off a used mobo+ram, disk drive, video card, and power supply.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
It's cheaper to sell your used mac at 50-75% of it's retail value and just buy a new system than to try and sell off a used mobo+ram, disk drive, video card, and power supply.

With the poor graphics cards that Apple uses, you'd have to do that a hell of a lot. Due to the console-centric gaming world, most games are GPU-bound, so you can still play the latest games at high settings by buying a new GPU and leaving everything else alone.

TJones

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2008
With the poor graphics cards that Apple uses, you'd have to do that a hell of a lot. Due to the console-centric gaming world, most games are GPU-bound, so you can still play the latest games at high settings by buying a new GPU and leaving everything else alone.

Wait, you're saying a closed system with consistent hardware is better for gaming? Sweet irony.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
Wait, you're saying a closed system with consistent hardware is better for gaming? Sweet irony.

It's cheaper, that's for sure. But not better. Imagine how much better games could look if they didn't have to be shackled to five-year-old tech.

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
Originally Posted by AidenShaw
And at that time, Apple OSX will cease to exist.

Jobs saved Apple in 1998, only to kill it in 2011.​

Only in your dreams.

My second sentence didn't clearly state what was implied by the first - I meant that

Jobs saved Apple computers in 1998, only to kill it them off in 2011.​

Apple will certainly be around in 2012 (unless there's some cosmic catastrophe), but it looks less and less likely that computer-using creative and other professionals will choose Apple. That's what the Apple Gadget Company is killing -- there's no longer any passion for making good Apples at Apple, the focus is on "thin and pretty".

MartiNZ

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2008
Auckland, New Zealand
sudo rm -rf /Library/Widgets/iTunes.wdgt

Let it go :)

:eek: nooooo, lol. As I've said in a few of the 30+ crash reports on the issue, they'll get bored of ignoring the reports and leaving the bugs in before I get bored of telling them about them. And everyone should have a pet peeve/bug with the OS - conveniently I have a few to fall back on should that one ever get fixed :D.

mrboston987

macrumors newbie
Mar 5, 2009
Boston, MA
Nice signature, slowpoke. I got into an argument about Mac OS X vs Windows and the other guy said that MS's OS was better than Apple's OS because Dells have better processors...wow what the heck so a processor is software :confused:

I said that Mac OS X can do everything Windows can do (while being stable) and way more so how is Windows better? He asked how. I said that I use a VM if I need to run a Windows app (which I do about once a month). He said "What's the point of wasting $1K if you use it for Windows?". I almost called him an idiot because I JUST SAID "and way more". Then he got mad at me :rolleyes:

Why argue with him/her at all? Have you seen the long lines at the Apple Store?

Tell him/her that windows is better and this will help us all get in/out of the store all that much faster.

star-affinity

macrumors 68000
Nov 14, 2007
Well, you have a pretty nice card. Any performance hit in OS X isn't really going to be noticable for you. I've got a lowly ATI Radeon 2600, and there is a huge difference playing SC2 in Bootcamp.

That could of course be it (I thought that thought too, but didn't include it in my first post).

Let's hope the performance of games keeps improving on all levels in Mac OS X. According to Steam there's more to be done: http://store.steampowered.com/news/4211/

I'm thinking about the paragraph that deals with Floating Point Validation.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.