Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BWhaler

macrumors 68040
Jan 8, 2003
I've been pretty disappointed at Leopard all along. I guess I was expecting a lot more innovation from Apple.

Ideas I think Apple missed the boat on:

1. Have your Mac behave like a wireless headset for your iPhone. Send texts. Answer calls, etc. See who is calling on screen, etc. I know about BluePhone Elite, but Apple could do a much better job

2. A re-think of how people can manage tasks/email/scheduling. In an age where many people use their inbox for storage of emails, pending tasks, follow-ups from bosses and subordinates, etc., and need to map these emails to tasks, time, etc., a re-think of this process and the tools around it is something well suited for Apple. Programs like iGTD are trying in this area, but it is too complicated. I see how the email and tasks are headed in the right direction, but the current implementation just falls short.

But with that said, I am beginning to get excited about Leopard.

I wasn't crazy about the new desktop, but as I spent time studying the new Dock, and how the Dock with the new default desktop image looks 3D together, and I think it's very cool. It almost seems like the Dock is sitting there on the edge of space.

Still not sure about the Menu Bar, but I think the changes made in the latest build help a great deal in terms of usability. But the other changes on the UI look great, and I agree that Apple has made a lot of little enhancements which are nice. (Just look at the subtle changes in the icons in the System Preferences.)

Yes, I still think there were some huge missed opportunities. But with that said, Leopard is looking to be a solid upgrade, for no other reason than more speed--especially for the Intel computers--and a consistent UI.

I am sure Spaces will speed up how I use my computer in the many unexpected ways as Exposé did.

I think the ability to use other computers remotely will be a huge help for people who work with Macs in multiple locations.

And time machine, in an era where our most valuable memories have moved from the shoe box to our hard drives, is an critical enhancement.

Yes, I am getting excited for Leopard. I just hope the quality is really solid and Apple doesn't release it before it's ready.

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
So you judge an operating system based on the desktop background that can be easily changed?

It's called conditioning. Similar to when animals are trained to associate, eg, a colour or a sound with some sort of punishment.

vaivedraivai

macrumors newbie
Aug 25, 2007
Georgia
Personally, I'm excited about it. It looks like it's got some great new features.

Sadly, I am stuck on a pc until december... :( got a while to wait, don't I?

guifa

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2002
Auburn, AL
What I think speaks more for the opening video is the inclusion of new language's words/phrases for Welcome. I don't think that here has been previously an Apple-sponsored translation of Portuguese or Russian, both of which represent sizeable language populations (Brasilian, parts of Africa, and Portugal for Portuguese, and of course all of Russia and parts of former soviet territories for Russian). Apple has a site for Brasilians but I've not been aware of their programs being released yet in Portuguese. And they have no market presence or web presence for that matter in Russia as far as I know.

p0intblank

macrumors 68030
Sep 20, 2005
New Jersey
The new default desktop, in my opinion, is much better than the grass. Grass is just... well, very "Vista." And I love the new intro movie! :)

ppnkg

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2005
UK
Good to know Leopard is on the way.

Speaking of the desktop picture. The grass thing was way better than the purple black space thing. This one is atrocious.

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2007
England
Lookin' good Leopard!

I have high speed internet @ home (I live in the US). It's a 6 Mbps download speed at best from comcast and it's taking more than 2 hours to download. So when you add in burning it to DVD & actually installing it, that's probably 4 hours at least.

Edit: now it's going to take 4.5 hours just to download.

6Mbps? Not that great. I'm on 16Mpbs, and I know people on 24Mbps (in England).

swingerofbirch

macrumors 68040
Lookin' good Leopard!

I imagine it's easier to spread high bandwidth Internet in a country that's about the size of Minnesota. Also does your government control the Internet etc? When I lived in Europe I noticed technologies rolled out faster as the government was more in charge of it than were companies.

macrumors member
Feb 27, 2006
Lookin' good Leopard!

Be greatful, most homes in the US aren't able to get DSL or cable internet... Even those who are able to generally live to far away from the ISP to get anything more than 3 Mbps . Places like japan and s. Korea can easily obtain upwards of 100 Mbps for real cheap. The US is wayyyyy behind on broadband

God^Cent

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2007
Well the space picture looks great with the leopard desktop but not perfect. I think if they animated the light rays to look some what like flurry it would be icing on the cake!

Manic Mouse

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2006
Could we please, pretty please, get a few shots of the desktop with a few different backgrounds to see how the menu bar has changed? Like the default Tiger one and the one with the clown fish?

Love you Lermex :p

ortuno2k

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2005
Hollywood, FL
I like the changes I see to the menu bar and the desktop picture - it was too Vista-ish before! I hated the grass and the completely-transparent menu bar, but it looks a lot better now.

I also liked the video, looking good.

paja

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2006
Thank you Apple

Thanks to all of the programmers and designers at Apple for their hard work. Leopard looks like it will be awesome!

Hope you all get a nice raise and a vacation after it ships.:)

Cancelled
Aug 20, 2007
I'm typing this from the new seed. First, Leopard is gorgeous. Not sure why you would think otherwise, but the UI is much more attractive and consistent.

I had mixed feelings about the transparent menu bar in the last two seeds, but the slight tweaks in this seed make all the difference. It's more opaque and blurs the underlying image more, so it looks good against everything. I've got my background set to change randomly every minute, with about a hundred different images to choose from, and they all look nice with it. You'll like it.

Second, the UI changes are such a tiny thing compared to the rest of Leopard that it's amusing to see so much time spent discussing it. Leopard is not about the new UI. It's got hundreds upon hundreds of small improvements that individually may not sound all that exciting, but all together make for a huge leap forward.

After using Leopard, going back to Tiger is like fingernails on a chalkboard. And I loved Tiger.

I don't want to break my NDA in a big way, so I'll just add one more thing. Leopard is fast. Impossibly fast compared to Tiger, and it makes Vista seem like it is running in slow motion. Spotlight is really instant now, to the point that I uninstalled QuickSilver. If you've used QuickSilver, hopefully you understand what a big deal that is.

For reference, my Leopard machine is a first-gen MacBook -- the lowest configuration, but bumped to 1GB RAM. My Tiger machine is a 2.66GHz Mac Pro with 3GB RAM. And the MacBook is snappier.

Yeah yeah and this is the same drivel we here every single time a major update is close. "Yeah its so much faster", And SOO amazing" until we actually get it an its like a major disappointment because ppl like you greatly exaggerate EVERYTHING about the OS. Im sick of listening to ppl like you misinformants. When i eventually get the OS im always disappointed as it is NEVER a massive speed increase like everyone talks about, usually sure a very minor improvement in speed in some cases but never as significant you promoted.

Besides a stupid looking oversized bulging Dock, which one still cant permanently hide an reactivate it only when needed (and to think Apple actually listened to those people spoofing over that crap Solaris Glass interface) and whoopy do dar Spaces and coverflow view, there is nothing of particular interest in Leopard as far as im concerned. There is no Resolution Independence and no Quartz 2D Extreme and basically no GPU acceleration of any other kind including MPEG (variants) of video. No ability to save and reload a session on login from a last logged session like Linux. No ZFS, no ability to change system font types an sizes, absolutely no significant improvement to the Dumb POS Finder which everyone HATES, no change to Open/Save Dialogs which most ppl HATE and find completely useless.

What an overhyped overdue copy of Vista. Yeah the power of Unix so dumbed down a retard can use it great!!

MrCrowbar

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2006
I've been pretty disappointed at Leopard all along. I guess I was expecting a lot more innovation from Apple.

1. Have your Mac behave like a wireless headset for your iPhone. Send texts. Answer calls, etc. See who is calling on screen, etc. I know about BluePhone Elite, but Apple could do a much better job

There's a way to use bluetooth phones with address book, that displays the cakker ID (adress book entry) of your callers as well as SMS and dialing from within address book. Just set up your Mac's bluetooth with your iPhone and you'll see something like this.

Note: I don't have an iPhone, but a SE W810i. Adress book syncing and caller ID works nicely, SMS doesn't and the calendar is always 1 hour early on the phone which makes it pretty unusable.
yrq7cd

ortuno2k

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2005
Hollywood, FL
Thanks to all of the programmers and designers at Apple for their hard work. Leopard looks like it will be awesome!

Hope you all get a nice raise and a vacation after it ships.:)

Let's hope they ALL don't get a vacation right away - who's going to do the updates and address issues that arise? :D

BWhaler

macrumors 68040
Jan 8, 2003

There's a way to use bluetooth phones with address book, that displays the cakker ID (adress book entry) of your callers as well as SMS and dialing from within address book. Just set up your Mac's bluetooth with your iPhone and you'll see something like this.

Note: I don't have an iPhone, but a SE W810i. Adress book syncing and caller ID works nicely, SMS doesn't and the calendar is always 1 hour early on the phone which makes it pretty unusable.
yrq7cd

I know about this. This is not what I meant.

Go check out BluePhone Elite and you'll see what I am talking about. Apple has missed the boat in tying the devises together.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.