Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vohdoun

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2006
Far away from Earth.
I really wish they would release an update for Leopard once MobileMe ceases to exist so that they remove all icons from services of the OS. It's going to be so silly to have all these defunct icons within the OS.

edoates

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2006
That's not the view at all. iDisk wasn't going to make it architecturally. WebDav simply isn't fast enough for today's modern sync.

----------

Not going to happen.

iDisk replicates a filesystem which means it's understandable to Mac and PC users but iOS does not have a filesystem so iDisk is incongruent with how iOS manages files.

A move away from iDisk into iCloud satiates both platforms. Rather than becoming folder centric everything becomes app centric and that unifies both platform as the document level.

Well, since I have an "iDisk" utility on my iPad and iPhone right now that exposes the file structure on my iDisk, your statement is basically false. Now, it's certainly true that some stuff I have stored up there can't be used on my iPad, but so what?

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
Well, since I have an "iDisk" utility on my iPad and iPhone right now that exposes the file structure on my iDisk, your statement is basically false. Now, it's certainly true that some stuff I have stored up there can't be used on my iPad, but so what?

No you're not getting it.

iCloud replaces iDisk. There's no reason to create an iDisk clone when the sync technology has been inserted into the very foundation of the app.

You have iDisk support on the iPad until the 30th of this month and nothing will replace it from Apple

edoates

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2006
No you're not getting it.

iCloud replaces iDisk. There's no reason to create an iDisk clone when the sync technology has been inserted into the very foundation of the app.

You have iDisk support on the iPad until the 30th of this month and nothing will replace it from Apple

I was responding to the notion that iDisk was somehow incompatible with the lack of a file system on iPads et al. I use iDisk as a storage/backup facility for arbitrary files, as well as a mechanism more secure than DropBox for sharing individual files.

I know how it all works, and there was no reason for Apple to dump iDisk other than server space. Just like iWeb hosting, it didn't cost them much to support it (since they charged me for large file space utilization anyway); it's just dumped and forces many of us to look elsewhere for that same utility functions. So now I'll have three places for my web stuff: icloud, dropbox, and (where ever I decide to host my website) web hosting. I would have preferred one place.

Oh, and yes, I get it. After all, I started my Apple use with the Lisa ...

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
Oh, and yes, I get it. After all, I started my Apple use with the Lisa ...

Indeed! Many on these boards weren't even born when the Lisa was out.

I don't think Apple is trying to get rid of a filesystem on Macs but I don't think they will be adding it to iOS.

If i'm a betting kitty I'm guessing that the next major thing that Apple produces from thin air will be a new scripting/automation system with links to the eventual replacement for HFS+

What if a future iOS version simply presents a virtual fs? We're not done geeking out yet.

morningsong

macrumors regular
Jan 19, 2010
OK, I updated my mail on Friday to the iCloud thingy from the e-mail they sent me.
Now my OSX mail is not receiving from .mac address.
Do I have to change a setting or am I SOL on my iMac because it's still Snow Leopard?

Morod

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2008
On The Nickel, over there....
OK, I updated my mail on Friday to the iCloud thingy from the e-mail they sent me.
Now my OSX mail is not receiving from .mac address.
Do I have to change a setting or am I SOL on my iMac because it's still Snow Leopard?

If you're talking about the Mail app in your dock not receiving mail. settings will need to be changed probably. Read this thread for info:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1377051/

Hope this helps.

foodog

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2006
Atlanta, GA
I took action.
http://neomailbox.net

I paid for MobileMe for years and at least when it didn't work I had someone to complain to (but not much of an SLA).

I can never get iCloud mail to work with safari (freezes halfway through) and it doesn't sync with outlook half the time (mail.app works great though).

I always find it funny when a cloud service uses secure in their name. Secure from whom?... Not from the company running the service.

TheNorthWaves

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2007
USA
It seems like every year or two, apple changes their mobile disk service and then they make users migrate or deal with upgrade headaches. Not to mention, it's expensive. Anybody wonder why I use an old school flash drive instead of this crap?

applemagic123

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2009
Have any of you idiots ever heard of an EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE to store all your crap on? I would never rely on a cloud to store any of my stuff on.

crisss1205

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2008
NYC
Have any of you idiots ever heard of an EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE to store all your crap on? I would never rely on a cloud to store any of my stuff on.

I want to have constant access to all my files. You cannot do that with an external hard drive unless you carry it around with you wherever you go. If there was no need for cloud storage than it would have never been invented.

danny_w

macrumors 601
Mar 8, 2005
Cumming, GA
I want to have constant access to all my files. You cannot do that with an external hard drive unless you carry it around with you wherever you go. If there was no need for cloud storage than it would have never been invented.
There is nothing wrong with cloud storage if that is your goal, but do not rely on it for a backup solution. Same thing for RAID; it is a handy storage medium but it is not in and of itself a backup and should not be considered as such.

vjl323

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2005
Western North Carolina
iCloud calendar syncing is possible on 10.6 and 10.5

FYI, if you are on 10.5 or 10.6 and need to migrate to iCloud, you can in fact do so with your calendar data via the 3rd party app called BusyCal. It's on the MacUpdate bundle right now [you know the site], and I suggest you give it a try. I've been using it for a while and it is very slick - it is more like what iCal used to be, as far as having a sidebar and a list mode.

And more importantly, it lets me migrate to iCloud and stick with 10.6, as I'm not a fan of Lion. BusyCal's website has a step by step list of how to migrate to iCloud and use their software. I wish they had a solution for addressbook syncing too.

Anyway, just wanted to let y'all know it is on sale via the mupromo site this week and there's a free trial on BusyCal's website [no links here as you can google it - people might think the links are affiliate or what not...].

tivoboy

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2005
yep

FYI, if you are on 10.5 or 10.6 and need to migrate to iCloud, you can in fact do so with your calendar data via the 3rd party app called BusyCal. It's on the MacUpdate bundle right now [you know the site], and I suggest you give it a try. I've been using it for a while and it is very slick - it is more like what iCal used to be, as far as having a sidebar and a list mode.

And more importantly, it lets me migrate to iCloud and stick with 10.6, as I'm not a fan of Lion. BusyCal's website has a step by step list of how to migrate to iCloud and use their software. I wish they had a solution for addressbook syncing too.

Anyway, just wanted to let y'all know it is on sale via the mupromo site this week and there's a free trial on BusyCal's website [no links here as you can google it - people might think the links are affiliate or what not...].

yep, this is true and a good app and a pretty good deal since one also gets parallels version 7.

But, i'm ready to wager that what this means is that we are going to see some form of calendar syncing for snow leopard this week. ;-)

crimton

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2011
I'm a little confused here. If mobile.me is going the way of the dodo, then why did my ipad let me create a new .me account when I opened the mail app?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.