Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today shared two new "Shot on iPhone" ad spots on its YouTube channel, highlighting the video capturing capabilities of the iPhone 6s and the iPhone 6s Plus. Both spots are 16 seconds in length and are accompanied by music, much like previous Shot on iPhone videos.

In the first video, shot by Tim W., a close-up of an ant is shown crawling across sand while it carries a seed pod.

The second video by Linda H., also wildlife-themed, features an adorable chipmunk filmed in slow motion stuffing a shelled peanut into its mouth.

In late June, Apple revamped its "Shot on iPhone" campaign to feature bright colors, updating all of its advertising imagery and billboards with new color-focused photos. It appears the video campaign will feature more varied video sequences as neither of today's two videos fits in with the revamped campaign.

Apple has been running its "Shot on iPhone" advertisements since early 2015 following the launch of the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus. It is likely to continue for some time as the upcoming iPhone 7 Plus is rumored to feature a much-improved dual-lens camera while the iPhone 7 will include a larger sensor.

Article Link: Apple Shares Two New 'Shot on iPhone' Videos Featuring Wildlife

miknos

Suspended
Mar 14, 2008
Remember seeing some car ad "shot on iPhone" but they were using a bunch of accessories, including big lenses (iPhone add ons). Hope Apple is not using that as an example.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
I like those two, wish they were longer .
[doublepost=1468869972][/doublepost]
If only the iPhone shipped with a professional photographer as well cause heaven knows my videos don't turn out like this.

You need a professional post production team ;)

Reactions: Regbial and jimi78

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009
Congrats Apple, you are now a camera company.

You for got to ask whether these were shot with the unsightly lens bulge.

Why be so negative?

Only a few years ago people had to take an extra camera- much larger in size - along to get that quality of video or picture.

All smartphone capabilities (driven initially in big part by Apple) are amazing these days, however the what have you done for me lately crowd doesn't seem to appreciate anything EVER!

Reactions: Asianpork

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
Yeah, that ant clip is a little misleading for a newb. There's no way that the iPhone can focus that close without a close up attachment lens.

But still cool

BornAgainMac

macrumors 604
Feb 4, 2004
Florida Resident
Anyone remember the first iPhone camera? It was much better than most phone cameras of that day. I am glad Apple wants to continue to improve the iPhone camera with each update. Sometimes products (both software and hardware) sold by Apple get completely ignored for years.

jimi78

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2010
Carlsbad, CA
Yeah, that ant clip is a little misleading for a newb. There's no way that the iPhone can focus that close without a close up attachment lens.

But still cool
You'd be surprised. The macro is pretty good. I would say more so that the director had a steady cam rig holding his iphone if anything. I dont' think that is impossible w/ the current macro on the new iphone 6s.

NightFox

macrumors 68040
May 10, 2005
Shropshire, UK
Here's my prediction of the next "Shot on iPhone" campaign format

IMG_1009.jpg

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009
You'd be surprised. The macro is pretty good. I would say more so that the director had a steady cam rig holding his iphone if anything. I dont' think that is impossible w/ the current macro on the new iphone 6s.
Maybe they used Camera+, an app that gives 10x magnification.

Johnny907

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2014
I really love these ads.
I really hate them, because they are misleading. It's like people who buy 1300 dollar DSLR's and then get pissed because their photos don't look anything like the examples on the box or website.
[doublepost=1468876655][/doublepost]
Anyone remember the first iPhone camera? It was much better than most phone cameras of that day. I am glad Apple wants to continue to improve the iPhone camera with each update. Sometimes products (both software and hardware) sold by Apple get completely ignored for years.
If anything, iPhone cameras have been lagging over the last few iterations while competition has solidly lapped it. This rumored dual-camera feature is the first truly innovative thing they've brought to the table in awhile, and even with that they've already been beaten to the punch by Hauwei.

maikerukun

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2009
I absolutely adore these two new ones. I love all of them, but these might be my fav so far! <3

lavvo

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2014

I agree with this. I have a friend who showed me a HD Video one of his pro photographers shot for their ski trip. He told me it was shot with the iPhone. I did not believe him, the quality was just too good. I thought they had a film crew follow them around or something. I really thought he was bluffing until he showed me photos of the guy shooting the vids. He had a rig, iPhone attached to a gimbal etc...It really does make a massive difference. Also knowing the ability to manually tweak settings and what to tweak/when. Since then, I realized the iPhone camera is very capable.

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
It would be nice if Apple published what hardware addons and post production apps were used in the making of these videos. Might help me do videos with quality above my current HORRID level. :eek:

I [choose to] believe that these are not using anything other than the camera and Photos app. I think it would be dishonest of them to use anything that doesn't come with the iPhone.
[doublepost=1468887324][/doublepost]These videos remind me that the human race is not the dominant species on this planet. All Hail King Julien!

AVEGA

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2016
Austin TX
It would be nice if Apple published what hardware addons and post production apps were used in the making of these videos. Might help me do videos with quality above my current HORRID level. :eek:

Preach!

Whats the point of being shot on iphone if they likely used other hardware on top of it.

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
While nice, I don't see the point of them from an advertising perspective. Any flagship level phone and many of lower status can shoot decent video. It's the skill of the shooter / editor that separates the good from the bad.

Reactions: Benjamin Frost
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.