Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheMasin9

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2004
Huber Heights, OH
anaylysts

though they think they are informed, these analyst have little to go on besides the very speculation we post everyday on these boards. Nobody knows what apple is doing except the almighty steve. we must remember though, apple is a COMPUTER business not a music business (though they do have the most dominant presence in the world in that market)

synergy

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2002
TheMasin9 said:
could you please explain this a little more in depth?

Market cap means the per share price of a companies stock times all outstanding shares.
So just because Microsoft shares are priced lower than Apple does not mean that they are a smaller company market cap wise. Microsoft has more shares outstanding. So you have microsoft with a 26-27 dollar stock price but a 282 billion dollar market cap.

kenaustus

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2003
Apple is a computer company that owns a lot of products. Everything from software (FileMaker to pro media apps) and hardware (iPods) that are feeding money into Apple. With half a billion dollars a year in R&D it's possible that Apple will come out with "one more thing" and it will first be supported on the Mac platform, with XP a secondary consideration.

The key factor for me is that Steve J and Gang know that the potential life span of the iPod might not be as long as everyone wants. If the product cycle drops in a few years they will still have the Mac, which is the core product - and a very profitable one at that. While the iPod is having a great ride right now it should be clear that it's long term potential is not better than the Macs. Macs will therefore continue to have the R&D funds needed on both the hardware and software side.

lokey

macrumors regular
Jul 3, 2003
Apple could be the next 'Sony'. Apple does have the Walkman equivilant in the iPod, but they won't go the route of the Playstation and release a game console.

Has anyone else noticed that Sony is aligning PS3 as more than a game console? It's more of a entertainment center, something like Windows Media Center. Apple has already layed the groundwork for this type of product with the Mac mini and FrontRow. I think Sony and Apple are right and Microsoft is a bit off base with the Xbox 360. A game console is just a game console, but a media center for your living can be a game console, your dvd player, a dv recorder, etc.

Maybe Apple can convince game developers to develop for their platform, and release the proper hardware necessary as add-ons for the Mac mini to complete it's game console/media center/dv recorder makeover.

Just a thought.

HumanJHawkins

macrumors member
Aug 29, 2001
Hood River, OR
mdntcallr said:
We need Apple to introduce 30" 42" and 50" flat panel Tv's/hdtv and computer monitors.

Prediction: They will introduce exactly this, but they will take advantage of the high price/margin of these devices to squeeze a Mac Mini level computer right into the TV itself.

You are going to see basically a 50 inch iMac with all of the Tivo/music player/movie player type functionality built in. It will cost about the same as current 50 inch plasmas, but look and work a lot better and include a computer.

I am going to be sad that I can't afford one.

Cheers!

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
HumanJHawkins said:
Prediction: They will introduce exactly this, but they will take advantage of the high price/margin of these devices to squeeze a Mac Mini level computer right into the TV itself.
That seems to be the natural evolution should Apple want to implant itself into the livingroom. In fact, if Apple were to introduce a flat-panel TV, the computer itself would be largely invisible, sort of like the iMac G5, but without the unnecessary bulk of the underside.

Here's to the Crazy Ones

d_saum

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2005
NC
Norse Son said:
In Apple's case, as soon as they intro'd the iMac G5 in September of 2004 I began to wonder how hard it would be for them to take the guts from the iMac, add some "steroids" to the CPU & GPU, and toss it behind the screen of that beautiful 30" ACD HD...

Or - and this is where I think the overly persistent rumors/yearnings about an Intel Mac mini at MWSF might actually have some practical use - they intro a "big brother" to the mini that controls your AV surround sound system, your DVR, and your DVD/CD changers. Right now most AV components are "dumb", with no memory of what's in the disc-drawer..

wow... I mean really.... WOW.. Do you even use a mac??? Seriously... If you do, I dont know HOW you could have posted that!!! ^ Why on earth would a mac need to control my CD changer when I have all my CD's ripped to iTunes??? Also, how many people really have DVD changers? 99.9% of people have a single DVD player and that would be replaced by the dvd drive in the mac. And the DVR? Yeah,... um... Apple is supposed to be announcing a "TIVO Killer" so interfacing with a DVR would be kinda pointless.

freeny said:
Analysts are really just guessing and they probably know less than what we know on this forum. A good example would be last weeks downgrade of apples stock value which caused a reaction of the drop in price of about $4. If you check the stock now it has regained this already and will surpass the "overpriced" value. Now other analysts are saying apple will continue on the uprise... Genius!

Hey man, just wanted to let you know, I LOVE your icon! :D

flapjackbob

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2006
More than one market

gnasher729 said:
Have a reality check, please. Market Caps Sony = $38bn, Apple Computer = $63bn.

Sony is listed on more than one stock exchange. See: http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/IR/stock/listing.html

Their total market value is probably more like USD$100 billion or maybe as high as USD$200 billion. Plus they must have an enormous amount of liquid capital in cash and shares of other companies, not to mention property.

Sony could most definitely attempt to acquire a majority stake in Apple, whether it would succeed and whether it would want to are the real questions.

I really don't think Sony would want to buy Apple. Except for the enterprise computing products like xServes and Mac OSX they already make all the stuff that Apple do.

Back when Apple was running itself into the ground I remember people thinking Sony might be Apple's saviour through a takeover. Fortunately that never happened as you can be pretty sure that back then Sony would have just cannibalized Apple and sold what it didn't want.

But back to the topic, I would certainly love to see an Apple TV with a Viiv Mac Mini in the guts. I can hear Steve Jobs talking now... "we're bringing the simplicity of the iPod to the living room"

macosxuser01

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2006
Sacramento, CA
remember 3 years ago when only 250,000units(ipods) were sold per quarter.
Now, in Jan. 06' Apple sold 14million ipods last quarter:eek: :eek:$$$$$
Apple and Google could rule there world if they wanted to

Attachments

• ipod_sales.gif
    ipod_sales.gif
    40.6 KB · Views: 116

beatle888

macrumors 68000
Feb 3, 2002
generik said:
Your little computer company is so small in the grand scheme of things, stop trying to think otherwise.

wow, your a natural born dream killer. good work charmer.

weg

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2004
nj
Peace said:
Linux...Why compete with an obviously inferior product?

In 5 years from now, Linux will be the only operating system that's up to date and still running on your now so shiny new Powerbook G4 ;-)

Sunrunner

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2003
weg said:
In 5 years from now, Linux will be the only operating system that's up to date and still running on your now so shiny new Powerbook G4 ;-)

You've been sniffing too much of Linuses glue I think...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.