Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Böhme417

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2009
I just don't understand where Apple Weather is getting the radar information. The weather radar in the native app doesn't match any other app for my area. Dark Sky was/is the easiest to read, but it was also similar to TWC, Accu, etc. Apple Weather shows weird, random blobs on the radar that don't seem to be very accurate.

joeblough

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2006
i've somewhat gotten used to the apple weather app.

one thing i absolutely hate about dark sky is the horizontal scrolling thingy at the bottom of each day where you select the data you want to see. it's way too fiddly. it might have been nice if there was an option to gang together all the days so they all follow the one you are changing. like if i'm looking at how much rain there will be today, i probably also want to see the same thing on the next day and the next.

i don't really like apple's dropdown either, so i guess this is not an easy problem when there are only so many gestures.

GenXScott

macrumors newbie
Dec 31, 2022
Did they change the end date? This is what my app shows …
19EF4A35-4289-4E47-8F1D-860426ECA3D5.jpeg

nycjdc

macrumors newbie
Dec 11, 2007
If the weather app actually worked, I would be okay with this. But it always loads no data at launch. But DarkSky works fine, always.
Couldn't agree more. Apples weather app stalls out and more often than not doesn't load any data.

And just this morning, on the last morning of 2022, so much for apple's weather app hyperlocal forecasts. It indicated that the temp here in UWS of Manhattan was 42º when the Dark Sky had the temp at 53º, which, in fact, was within one degree of other sites/apps. What's more, Dark Sky had it raining (it was), while no rain in the forecast on Apple's weather app till this afternoon.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
And people defends apple for no end?
Honestly, the lack of law regulating big tech company purchasing smaller companies is killing more and more amazing stuff as we enter 2023.
dark sky is just one of the many victims of such “buy and throw” megacorp competitor elimination spree.

GLS

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2010
Ahem.

My wife is a meteorologist with the National Weather Service. With the stuff they integrated into the Weather app from Dark Sky, she says the stock Apple app is good enough.

She uses the Weather app, and she's an actual forecaster.

Now for radar, that's a different matter. There's Radarscope, and there's everything else. That was the very first app she purchased 12 years ago when she got her first iPhone.

flat five

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2007
newyorkcity
Wait, what?

First I've heard of this and I use that app every day.

off to find a replacement I guess :confused:

----

[edit].. just opened Apple's weather app for the first time in a few years.. seems ok I guess.. I'll use that lol

Chazak

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2022
I just don't understand where Apple Weather is getting the radar information. The weather radar in the native app doesn't match any other app for my area. Dark Sky was/is the easiest to read, but it was also similar to TWC, Accu, etc. Apple Weather shows weird, random blobs on the radar that don't seem to be very accurate.
All of it, no matter what app is using it, essentially comes from the NWS and NOAA.

opiapr

macrumors regular
Mar 26, 2010
Lehigh Valley, PA
If the weather app actually worked, I would be okay with this. But it always loads no data at launch. But DarkSky works fine, always.
Make sure that under weather in settings location is set to always. I was having the same issue and location was set to while using the app. Switched it to Always and its working fine now.

• Disagree
Reactions: JapanApple

Rented Parsley

macrumors newbie
Dec 31, 2022
Yes. Apple took DarkSky, took small parts of it, added it to the below avg weather app, and then tossed the rest away. This is classic Apple from ~2017 on -- water down offerings, get them out to people ASAP, fix the quality issues if people cry loudly enough later.
Is this based on the assumption that Apple just took DarkSky IP and tossed the rest of the company in a hostile takeover? I'd assume that some DS developers were absorbed by Apple and have continued to integrate DS aspects into the Apple Weather app.

While its always a work in progress, I've been pleasantly surprised with the tweaks Apple Weather has implemented that (to me) seem to be rooted in DS features. DS has been stagant for some time and their Apple watch and iOS widgets were a little lack luster but I've attributed this to only having so much dev resources to support a iOS/Android app across all associated devices. I've been using Dark Sky for as long as I can remember and its been one of the most influential apps have used.

anthony13

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2012
The apple weather app looks pedestrian, takes exponentially more time to see more data per day, and frankly feels outdated. I was very excited for it when they said they were acquiring dark sky, and as a complete apple fanboy cant understand how poorly they have developed this new apple weather app.

MaxBurn

macrumors 65816
Nov 25, 2010
Now for radar, that's a different matter. There's Radarscope, and there's everything else. That was the very first app she purchased 12 years ago when she got her first iPhone.
That is an expensive weather app after you consider the subscriptions. Worth it for average people?

Sowelu

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2008
New York City
So, did Apple buy DarkSky just to kill it? I was hoping that they'd leave in at least some elements that made DarkSky one of the most popular weather apps out there, like it's clean, quick-view GUI, but it looks like Apple just folded in whatever they bought into the backend, because I am not getting any DarkSky feels when I use Apple's new Weather app.

Shasterball

Suspended
Oct 19, 2007
Is this based on the assumption that Apple just took DarkSky IP and tossed the rest of the company in a hostile takeover? I'd assume that some DS developers were absorbed by Apple and have continued to integrate DS aspects into the Apple Weather app.

No, I am just talking about the app itself.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.