Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Truffy

macrumors 6502a
what idiot would subscribe to services like this from Apple?

No sooner do they announce a service, than they close another one down and you're expected to migrate. I've kinda lost count of the number of times this has happened.

All those at mac.com, didn't they end up with mobile.me? And that's now icloud?

And iwork.com is now icloud?

But all the old stuff doesn't work?

What happens when Apple gets bored with icloud, and terminates it in favour of iscrewyou (or iwhatever)?

How many ships will people jump to until they give up and go with a company that (a) gives a damn and (b) has a long-term strategy that it's willing to share with its customers?

----------

It does with Mountain Lion.
Wow, that's really helpful. Is Mountain Lion the current release fir the masses? (Hint: no it's not).

Unless you were being sarcastic, in which case please do carry on.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
No sooner do they announce a service, than they close another one down and you're expected to migrate. I've kinda lost count of the number of times this has happened.

All those at mac.com, didn't they end up with mobile.me? And that's now icloud?

And iwork.com is now icloud?

But all the old stuff doesn't work?

What happens when Apple gets bored with icloud, and terminates it in favour of iscrewyou (or iwhatever)?

How many ships will people jump to until they give up and go with a company that (a) gives a damn and (b) has a long-term strategy that it's willing to share with its customers?

----------

Wow, that's really helpful. Is Mountain Lion the current release fir the masses? (Hint: no it's not).

Unless you were being sarcastic, in which case please do carry on.

iWork was always a Beta experiment. This was no secret. And Apple treated it that way. iCloud is a long-term project which forms the foundation of Apple's online presence going froward. iCloud is obviously here to stay.

If you can't tell the difference between the two efforts, you don't really understand Apple, and you might as well stop posting because you'll only confuse yourself unnecessarily.

iWork syncing is in Mountain Lion. Helpful to know? Of course it is. It means Mountain Lion establishes iCloud in the OS in earnest. iCloud is what, barely 6 months old? And it's already quite impressive. Naturally, the next OS will round out the experience considerably.

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
I'm kind of bummed as this was a pretty good way to share documents to other people. iCloud is fantastic for sharing stuff between my own devices, but I want to be able to link someone to what I'm working on and iCloud doesn't appear to have that functionality. Though, someone please correct me if I'm wrong about this.

thekeyring

macrumors 68040
Jan 5, 2012
London
I suppose this is because of Mountain Lion offering support for Documents in the Cloud - they don't want to confuse people. All your content, to view, edit and delete on all your devices.

haravikk

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2005
I'm really disappointed by this; sure, there's a new way to share the files themselves, but being able to view and collaborate upon those files online was a huge feature.

What I can't understand is why this can't still exist as part of iCloud. Just like forming photo-galleries from folders of images, or serving web-content from folders with HTML files. It can all be done with similar kinds of synchronisation on the back-end, it's all about making that content available through the web as well.

It's a huge opportunity being missed with iCloud, and it's devaluing existing products such as iWeb, and now the iWork suite.

We don't know full-blown versions of these apps on the web, but simple collaboration tools and the ability to show off stuff you're putting into iCloud with the public (or select individuals) was a great thing.

I mean, it's like saying that iWork is unsuitable for professionals, and that's not a good thing. What about other cases, like if you're at a friend's house and all you've got is your iPhone? The iPhone is fine, but it's not a great tool compared to a full browser. iCloud is also not a collaborative tool, it's about having the same files on all devices. iWork.com was a great work to give people access to a file and get quick and easy feedback.

Truffy

macrumors 6502a
iCloud is a long-term project which forms the foundation of Apple's online presence going froward. iCloud is obviously here to stay.
Like MobileMe you mean? :rolleyes:
iWork syncing is in Mountain Lion. Helpful to know? Of course it is. It means Mountain Lion establishes iCloud in the OS in earnest. iCloud is what, barely 6 months old? And it's already quite impressive. Naturally, the next OS will round out the experience considerably.
It may be interesting, but hardly relevant (to the masses) until ML becomes available (to the masses). Even then, those masses that cannot upgrade for whatever reason will still be out of it. Hey, but all that doesn't matter, right?

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
Like MobileMe you mean? :rolleyes:

What the hell are you talking about??

MobileMe went live in July 2002 as .Mac. It actually evolved from iTools, launched in 2000. The service lasted until the iCloud transition this past October. That's 10 years of MobileMe.

Get your history straight.

It may be interesting, but hardly relevant (to the masses) until ML becomes available (to the masses). Even then, those masses that cannot upgrade for whatever reason will still be out of it. Hey, but all that doesn't matter, right?

No. It doesn't matter at all. Because a service that launched in October 2011 will be fully mature by Summer 2012. That's less than a year. And iCloud represents a major platform enhancement by Apple.

crewkid89

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2011
United States
My major concern is that I have been successfully using iWork.com to keep documents moving between a PowerBook running tiger, an iMac running lion, and downloading them on an xp desktop at work. Will the iWork 09 on tiger still be able to upload via iCloud or is my PowerBook screwed?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.