Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The calendar has turned to January 1 and Apple has shut down popular weather app Dark Sky. The app had already been removed from the App Store in September and it stopped functioning for existing users starting today.

dark-sky-hand.jpg

Apple acquired Dark Sky in March 2020 and it has since incorporated many of the app's features into the preinstalled Weather app on the iPhone, iPad, and Mac. Earlier this month, Apple shared a support document with information on how Dark Sky users can use the Weather app, which now offers "hyperlocal" forecasts, including next-hour precipitation, hourly forecasts for the next 10 days, high-resolution radar maps, and severe weather notifications.

To use Dark Sky features in the Weather app, your device must be updated to iOS 16, iPadOS 16, or macOS Ventura. Some of the features are currently only available in select countries, as outlined in a separate Apple support document.

Apple will also be shutting down Dark Sky's API for third-party weather apps on March 31, and introduced its own WeatherKit API as a replacement.

Article Link: Apple Shuts Down Popular Weather App 'Dark Sky'

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: autrefois

Pilot Jones

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2020
Apple absorbing the very best of the best and still keeping their native solution mediocre is a crying shame. I know it’s just a weather app at the end of the day, but this is pretty horrible showing from Tim and co.

They should’ve just taken Dark Sky and rebranded it as Apple Weather with zero changes. That would’ve been an infinitely better solution to whatever the hell is going on right now.

CarAnalogy

macrumors 601
Jun 9, 2021
Seems like peak software was somewhere around 2010. Ever since then every software company just releases slightly worse versions of what came before. I guess Google started this trend. I don’t know when it became OK to take away features and release replacements that are inferior to what they are replacing, but everyone is doing it now.

JM

macrumors 601
Nov 23, 2014
The best underrated feature of dark sky was the API that other weather app developers could use for their novel ideas.

I think the same thing happened with Weather Underground when they were purchased by The Weather Channel (yahoo weather used weather underground data, and the. Became terrible prediction after TWC bought them.)

8CoreWhore

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Tejas
Are Dark Sky features limited to iOS 16? If not, why would those features in Weather app be limited to iOS 16? Lots of people are using Dark Sky on iPhones that cannot upgrade to iOS 16, now they will lose those features, even though those features work today.

tdar

macrumors 68020
Jun 23, 2003
Johns Creek Ga.
Recently Apple has pulled the notification that the app is gone at the end of the year from my DarkSky app. It was replaced by the old announcement that you can get the dark sky data in the Apple weather app. This is like it was before the Apple announcement that Dark Sky was going away. So I know that it is risky, but I am keeping my fingers crossed that Apple has changed their mind. They sure have taken a lot of flak about this decision, including a whole lot of it from me.

Pilot Jones

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2020
The Carrot weather app is a better version anyway.

That’s besides the point. Apple had the perfect opportunity to integrate what was the best paid weather app in the market into their free native solution. The fact that other alternatives (especially paid ones) are still even being discussed should indicate how majorly they messed that up.

idegen

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2022
East of KPHL
Are Dark Sky features limited to iOS 16? If not, why would those features in Weather app be limited to iOS 16? Lots of people are using Dark Sky on iPhones that cannot upgrade to iOS 16, now they will lose those features, even though those features work today.
Can't upgrade to iOS 16? Mr. Cooks advice would be; Buy a new phone, so you can go 16. We need your money. ... SMH :-]

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
lot of articles about this app… lol

but I get a lot of people loved/used it. on to the next!
LOL, I know, and I loved it too, but still! Writing that much about an weather app is too much, and I've been a tech person all my life.

I'm glad that Apple bought it and gave the API for developers to use though. This was the next best thing they bought next to Workflow in the last decade. Glad they were paying attention to the communities using both.

thederby

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2007
Austin, TX
I use Hello Weather which sources their data from Dark Sky. What will happen?

So what will change when Dark Sky’s API is kaput?​

For us, at least two things:​
  1. We’ll be adding more data providers in the next few months.
  2. We’ll eventually switch to a new default provider, since Dark Sky is currently our default.
That's really it. No big deal.​
It’s possible that we won’t be able to support the real-time precipitation info like Dark Sky had, but we’re going to try our best to replace that with something new. We’ll keep you posted.​

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
That’s besides the point. Apple had the perfect opportunity to integrate what was the best paid weather app in the market into their free native solution. The fact that other alternatives (especially paid ones) are still even being discussed should indicate how majorly they messed that up.
At the very least they could have put in a "Dark Sky" theme that looks just like the old app. This would have made fans happy, while allowing them to retire the app itself.

Shasterball

Suspended
Oct 19, 2007
Apple absorbing the very best of the best and still keeping their native solution mediocre is a crying shame. I know it’s just a weather app at the end of the day, but this is pretty horrible showing from Tim and co.

They should’ve just taken Dark Sky and rebranded it as Apple Weather with zero changes. That would’ve been an infinitely better solution to whatever the hell is going on right now.
Yes. Apple took DarkSky, took small parts of it, added it to the below avg weather app, and then tossed the rest away. This is classic Apple from ~2017 on -- water down offerings, get them out to people ASAP, fix the quality issues if people cry loudly enough later.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.