Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
Grasp at straws much?

Look at the graph. It's pretty obvious that OS X and iOS devices sold right at what Windows 7 desktop and Windows 8.x desktop/mobile(the equivalent of OS X + iOS) sold for the quarter. And if you look at the trend you will see it's been going away from Windows for a while.

Windows had a sizable lead, and they've lost it. They're neck and neck with Apple, and getting creamed every day in real time. And it's only getting worse for MS. That's the point you should take from this article.

Gist of the story: Given a choice, more people pick Apple than MS. Pretty simple math.

You can now go back to using IE, Paint, Windows Media Player and 3.7GB of your memory...

Take iOS devices out along with the small amount of Windows phone sales and compare Mac sales to Windows pc sales.

NewbieCanada

macrumors 68030
Oct 9, 2007
Yup. That's what IBM said about microprocessors and personal computers back when IBM sold over 90% of all the big computers used for real data processing. Just toys. Not "real" computers.

That 1984 "Welcome IBM" Mac commercial was a waste of money. ;) IBM ended up not staying in the business long term!

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
There are just too many variables. How can u tell who is repairing or building a PC?

I don't know how you could get accurate information on new builds. There are a lot of good computer forums out there and lots of people do build their own, but overall the numbers are probably a very small percentage. But Newegg and others have a lot of parts for sale and there are thousands of reviews. Amazon too.

Renzatic

Suspended
So just count motherboards ??

Even that might be for a repair. Really, it's not something worth worrying about, because...

...you're right. As far as the massive low and mid end consumer market goes, we're in the post-pc era. Laptops are very quickly becoming mid-high end niche items, end cheap laptops are quickly being replaced by smartphones, iPads and Android tablets.

From here on out, laptops will never sell as much as mobile devices. This is true. There's no denying it. But that doesn't mean the form factor itself is dying. Far from it. It's just being moved to another usage tier. They'll never sell a million billion trillion every quarter ever again, but people will still need laptops, and they'll continue to make money for people making them.

So really, the whole argument is pointless.

theheadguy

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2005
california
A bit like comparing Apples and oranges...

This is a really stupid article..

Let's compare the total sales of computers, phones, tablets and mp3 players by one company to the total of just computers sold by the rest of the industry.

Seriously flawed comparison...

No kidding. How did this ever make a front-page story? Talk about reaching...

is this even worth publishing?

Exactly what I thought. I dont know why they count iPads in. Its nothing like a real computer for me. And I owned several Windows Pcs and own currently a retina macbook.

Apple sold more of various devices including iPad, iPods, iPhones, and macs compared to only windows pcs? Not valid unless they include all windows 8 tablets and phones also sold...

What a stupid comparison. That's a bit like saying Hotpoint sold more washing machines, ovens, toasters, kettles dishwashers and fridge freezers combined than all other appliance companies sold toasters.

If some statsmonger wants to do comparisons then do them properly and don't slant it to prove whatever it is you want to prove.

Must be a slow news day, or this is a new Macrumors low point. :rolleyes:

As they say on Car Talk,
"boooooooooooogus!"

Interesting. All on page 1 alone. MR, the people have spoken...

giphy.gif

cdmoore74

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
As a Windows PC user the last time and the only time I bought a name brand PC was back in the fall of 1993 right after I graduated from high school. It was the biggest mistake I ever made. For the last 20 years I have no regrets building my own computers. If you look at my current rig every part has a different age from 8 years to 3 months. My case alone has been home to 4 complete builds.
But upgrading my computer is few and far between because I no longer play games and my 2 year old cpu is holding up well for what I do. But to add together Macs and iDevices is just not smart reporting.

cdmoore74

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
A iPad by definition is a PC

So why does Apple sale a $3000 plus computer if all you have to do is buy a $500 tablet? There must be a line drawn and a statement like that foolish. I'm not saying that the iPad is not a PC. I'm saying that you can't pretend that a iPad can replace every computer around the world. A smartwatch is a PC but it will never replace a Smartphone or an iPad.

gibbz

macrumors 68030
May 31, 2007
Norman, OK
Oh dear. It seems so many people are missing the point of Benedict Evan's article. Here's his response to a comment on his site where the original work was posted. Hopefully it clarifies things.

You've really completely misunderstood the post. Perhaps you didn't read it?

Mobile is becoming a personal computing market. And it's a much, much bigger personal computing environment that PCs. So much bigger that even the 'niche' high-end player in mobile, Apple, is selling more than the totality of the old market, PCs.

There are no arbitrary limitations - I've defined it as 'personal computing devices'. A PC, tablet or smartphone fit that. A games console, Apple TV or data-centre server do not.

>So, does that mean that you included Windows based tablets in with the PCs?

yes

subsonix

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2008
Methodologically, I don't see an obvious way to count that. (Just because I buy a motherboard doesn't mean I'm building a new computer.) And from a practical perspective, surely you don't think that would change the results significantly--the number can't be that high, can it?

Especially since it doesn't necessarily mean that you will buy a new copy of Windows.

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Anyone who thinks iPhones and iPads aren't computers that are being used heavily for things that used to need an traditional-style computer is REALLY trying to cling to the past!

Exactly! This represents a growing population of people buying smartphones and tablets INSTEAD of traditional computers, and the majority of those portable computing devices are coming from ONE company - Apple!

----------

A iPad by definition is a PC

The term "PC" has primarily been used to refer a "Windows-based PC", or more generally any non-Apple computer. Yes, it also stands for "Personal Computer", of which Macs are, but that's not the point. The computer is Apple vs. everyone else selling comparable products.

linkgx1

macrumors 68000
Oct 12, 2011
Not really a fair comparison. Different markets and revenue streams. GameBoys, PS4s, Blackberries, and Google glasses are all computers. But what if we showed the total global sales for all Android devices? Suddenly not fair? Come on MacRumors. Quit pullin' strings!

dec.

Suspended
Apr 15, 2012
Toronto
It looks to me like a couple million Macs were sold vs about 70 million Windows pc's.

What's the manufacturers share like? Obviously a "best selling" OS isn't worth much when you see how HTC are struggling even though they are "market leader" with Android ;-) ...

linkgx1

macrumors 68000
Oct 12, 2011
I'm just going to leave ya'll with this. iDevices are like microwaves in the world of ovens. Gets the job done, but not for 'real work'. It's still incredible nonetheless.

But we need to hope that Apple does not have the "Nintendo/Apple" problem of staying in the blue ocean too long before it becomes red. Even if one goes to another blue ocean, it could end up being a pond. Hopefully those cash reserves are being but to good use. :cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.