Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

leRiCl

macrumors member
Jan 15, 2008
People in cellphone markets aren't saying "Well since the iPod Touch has a camera, I will just get a crappy Nokia and an iPod Touch. And I will definitely ALWAYS carry both devices and make sure both are charged and ready. That won't be annoying at all, keeping track of two separate devices"

That's exactly what I do, but replace "Nokia" with Sony Ericsson and "crappy" with mediocre.

For me, it's okay if my mp3 player/game machine run out of battery in the middle of the day, but its not for a mobile phone.

That's why I keep them separate, at least until iphones batteries improve a great deal in longevity.

IMO its safer to keep the separate. I've had my phone stolen when I was in China. Lucky my ipod was safe so I still had my contact numbers... (Yes, I do back up my contacts once a year or so but I didn't bring the computer along on the trip.)

cferreira

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2009
Webcam coming next year???

Looking the iFixIt I see space on both sides. Isn't?

Back side... the Broadcom chip was moved to right, leaving an empty space for a rear camera.

And at the front side, is even more clear with these holes shaped for the lowres Nano 5G cam.

For me this proves the theory (based on rumors) about iPod and iPhone 4th generation coming with a frontal webcam.

Perhaps Apple next year will give us a surprise?

troller

macrumors regular
Mar 24, 2008
Perhaps Apple next year will give us a surprise?

Surprise??? Wake up....if apple was a restaurant and you would like to order a pizza with cheese, onion, tomatoes and ham, they would bring you 1 pizza with cheese, one with onion, one with, tomatoes and one with ham....after that they would say: 50Bucks please

that's apple

cferreira

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2009
Surprise??? Wake up....if apple was a restaurant and you would like to order a pizza with cheese, onion, tomatoes and ham, they would bring you 1 pizza with cheese, one with onion, one with, tomatoes and one with ham....after that they would say: 50Bucks please

that's apple

Frustrated with Apple? Do you prefer Windows/PC?

swishyfresh

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2007
London
I was going to treat myself to an ipod touch this christmas, and with the prior rumors of a camera coming up I thought perfect!!!... thank god I waited and didn't get one over the summer.

But now, I'm horribly dissapointed because I won't buy one without the video camera. I'll always be thinking... if I'd waited 6 months or however long, I would of had a video camera in this.

Shame. For the first time as an apple consumer, I'm truly disappointed.

They'll redem themselves if they announce before xmas that a new camera added version will be released on a specific date come 2010. Then I'll ask santa clause for vouchers from the apple store and I'll happily wait.

If not, I'm getting a Zune... damn it.

kirreip

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2009
I don't get it. Please someone explain it to me. Why would you ever want a camera on an iPod? Every cell phone has one of those crappy cameras you never ever wanna use because the quality is so bad. Do yourself a favour and get a digital SLR camera to take pics or a camcorder make a movie. If you want to take a pic on a party use your cell phone.

swingerofbirch

macrumors 68040
I don't get it. Please someone explain it to me. Why would you ever want a camera on an iPod? Every cell phone has one of those crappy cameras you never ever wanna use because the quality is so bad. Do yourself a favour and get a digital SLR camera to take pics or a camcorder make a movie. If you want to take a pic on a party use your cell phone.

it's more that the camera can add interesting functionality to a lot of app store applications, especially those augmented reality ones coming out

i agree though about cell phone cameras though in general, i haven't used the iphones, but my lg dare's camera is relatively good for a cell phone camera, but it is almost useless because of having no image stabilization and me having shaky hands, and it in particular has this horrible problem where it doesn't actually take the picture until a few seconds after you let go of the button and it makes the snapshot sound, still it's good in a pinch

SactoGuy18

macrumors 601
Sep 11, 2006
Sacramento, CA USA
I'd put my money that Apple will have the camera-equipped 3G iPod touch arriving in early 2010 on the 32 and 64 GB models. Apple may offer an upgrade option for 3G iPod touch users that will allow people who bought the 3G iPod touch at the Apple Store to freely transfer all settings and files on the current 3G iPod touch models to the camera-equipped 3G iPod touch models.

Thex1138

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2009
Sydney, Australia
I'm Given' 'er all She's Got Cap'n

It was a similar charge with iPhone 1 when they doubled the memory shortly after release...
The camera device was simply too big this time round... Engineers...are miracle workers!

joueboy

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2008
Near future!

Come on near future! Of course it's gonna happen! You'll see a camera on the next version of iPod touch that's for sure. People Apple didn't mentioned production related problem for not having the camera. It's their decision not to put a camera it's a marketing strategy, giving you a reason to upgrade next time. It's clear from the words of SJ it's being promoted as a portable gaming device for now. Keep your older iPod Touch unless you're a sucker and save your money for the next update. If you're crazy and dying to have a camera for all in one device get an iPhone. You hate AT&T like I do, get those portable HD video camera for less than $200, Youtubers will thank you for your clear videos.

Tylerrr

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2009
This is rather interesting. I was planning on buying an iPod touch today, but now I may have to hold off, as the camera was one of the most fascinating rumors around. I was planning on just dealing with it, though now I'm not so sure.

From pure speculation, I would have to surmise that there are a few possible courses of action for apple here.

I don't believe that there's a set duration that the new touches will be in production before the camera model is introduced. There wouldn't be much to worry about between the nano and touch, as the cheap $199 touch would likely not come with a camera. That means that consumers would have to choose between a $149 nano with video capabilities, or a $299 touch with video capabilities. Both models would be widely purchased due to the gap in pricing.

Now, I can certainly understand that the iPod touch last-minute camera flaws may be valid rumors. I can also understand why Apple would keep their intended release date. But here's the thing, there's virtually no question that Apple intended to have a camera in the device, and even if the cameras were pulled last-minute, the space remains. I'm led to believe that regardless of the fact that several consumers have purchased iPod touches already, and several more will, that Apple will introduce cameras whenever they're fit to be released. I'm also surmising that Apple will offer a service to conveniently put the cameras into existing models, for a bit of a fee. I'm absolutely positive Apple has contemplated the same things you all have ... if consumers buy now, and the camera is quickly introduced, there will be a massive uproar of angry patrons. There has to be a logical fix to that problem, and that is simply offering the camera to those who couldn't wait for it.

Of course, this is all just speculation. I was planning on buying the 64GB touch today, though now I think I'll wait for the camera, as the app functionality with the cameras would be pristine.

Which brings me to a new point, everyone keeps addressing the fact that the iPod touch is becoming too close to the iPhone, and this will hurt iPhone sales. The iPod touch does not offer 3G connectivity, which is arguably the most convenient feature on the iPhone. For this reason, Apple really doesn't need to worry about the iPhone sales plummeting.

Here's something that it seems no one has considered:

By introducing cameras to the iPod touch line, just how much do you think Apple will make from iTunes Store app purchases? This would open up the entire world of photography apps to iPod touch users. The potential for profiting continually from the number of these is absolute.

So, I would have to say that it's in Apple's best interests to offer a camera in the near future, and when I say "near future," I mean whenever it's ready.

At least, we can all hope, right?

*Edit*

One more thought, don't forget the iPhone contract with AT&T is almost expired. I don't think Apple wants a bunch of "Aw, it's cool that the iPhone is on my carrier now, but I already have an iPod touch ... " responses, so maybe they're holding off until both can be released at the same time-or-so, so that the iPhone gets the main attention. Who knows? There are so many variables ...

dambrosir

macrumors newbie
Jul 31, 2006
Has anybody (i.e. developer) who bought the new iPod touch taken a look at the 3.1 OS. To see if that ability to take pictures or video exists.

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
4) A video Touch would cannibalize sales of the Nano. It makes a lot more sense to get someone to buy a $149/$179 Nano and then 4-6 months from now, get them to get the video Touch for another $199/$299...

This is a good point. The price difference between the two products is so minimal ($20) that the Touch might easily outstrip the nano in sales (unless all you really wanted was a tiny iPod).

Outside of Jobs telling Pogue that he wanted to control the cost of the Touch, I don't buy his reasoning that the Touch is being marketed as a gaming device. With all of the augmented reality apps beginning to appear in the App Store, the Touch will be left out of that gaming revolution unless it gets a camera. There's something else going on....

TripHop

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2009
I'll Wait 4 The Camera In 64GB Touch

I'll Wait 4 The Camera In 64GB Touch. Was going to order it as is but this rumor seems 2 real 4 me to blow even the MacConnection's bargain price of $380 which is $60 less than buying it in an Apple store where I am.

If the camera model is only months away, I'd rather vote against the new Jumbo RAM Touch by not buying it yet. I have the 32GB 2G Touch. Want 64GB. But I believe this rumor so I'm going to tough it out until Apple fixes the technical problem and then quietly adds the camera when fewer are looking like in late January 2010.

Late January's when they doubled the maximum RAM size to 32GB on the 1G Touch in 2008 much to a lot of people's surprise and with zero fanfaire. It was a very big deal, but that close after the holiday shopping season any kind of noise would have upset a lot more holiday buyers than it did with a "silent" press release only tactic.

KiamLaLuno

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2009
Why not?

I don't see any reason for adding a camera to the iPod Nano, and not to the iPod Touch.
There are some applications that would use the camera in a iPod Touch in the same way they already use it on an iPhone (there is an application that calculate the distance of an object using the camera); the camera in the iPod Nano can be used only with the built applications the iPod comes with.

I would not be surprised, anyway, if an iPod Touch with camera would never come out.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
My impulse to get a Nano IMMEDIATELY has died down. I'll get one refurbished now. I don't see a reason to have left the camera off of the Touch other than to milk a few dollars.

Don't buy it if it doesn't have what you want. Why suffer with the current model if you want a camera on your Touch?

Tylerrr

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2009
This is a good point. The price difference between the two products is so minimal ($20) that the Touch might easily outstrip the nano in sales (unless all you really wanted was a tiny iPod).

Outside of Jobs telling Pogue that he wanted to control the cost of the Touch, I don't buy his reasoning that the Touch is being marketed as a gaming device. With all of the augmented reality apps beginning to appear in the App Store, the Touch will be left out of that gaming revolution unless it gets a camera. There's something else going on....

Well, it's like I mentioned in my post, I doubt that the 8GB touch would have a camera because it's still running the old processor and (from what I understand) all of its other older hardware.

That would put the price gap at $150 dollars, making the touch with a camera twice as expensive as the nano with a camera.

Much more practical, I think.

Chimpy

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2007
They're going to develop a better camera for the Touch and that'll be the next upgrade path for Touch owners.

TripHop

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2009
I Carry And Use Both iPhone & iPod Touch ALL THE TIME

byulasfjazz said:
I dont think apple is ready for that yet... If the Ipod has a camera,... then who needs the Iphone? Besides service on the road ... They would be the same device...
I do. They are nothing alike. They are complementary devices that share the same OS. You must be very unfamiliar with the tech to think otherwise.

1. iPhone has Internet access everywhere there's cell service.
2. iPhone has GPS & Digital Compass for location & navigation apps.
3. iPhone has short battery life to keep it on the cell net.
4. iPhone has a $79 monthly cell net access charge - minimum.
5. iTouch has long battery life so playing music, video, games & apps doesn't kill it.
6. iTouch has Wi-Fi Internet access with no monthly charges.
7. iTouch has room in the non-phone section for more RAM to store a lot more music, video, games & apps.

I use the Touch for everything I don't need cell net access for so my iPhone's battery isn't dead by noon. Without a Touch to complement my iPhone I would be constantly making compromises about how I would only use my iPhone. Really dedicated mobile Mac people have and use both in quite complementary ways.
FSMBP said:
Yes, I am going to take my iPod touch and make calls when I head up to New Jersey this weekend. Hope I don't get lost.

An iPod having a cellphone and NOT having one is not a small difference.

People in cellphone markets aren't saying "Well since the iPod Touch has a camera, I will just get a crappy Nokia and an iPod Touch. And I will definitely ALWAYS carry both devices and make sure both are charged and ready. That won't be annoying at all, keeping track of two separate devices"

iPhone is king is because it's the utlimate all in one cellphone. Nothing else. When my contract is up, I will be getting m first iPhone. If I want a wifi media player, I'll get an iPod Touch.

wizard said:
The little bit of extra tech in the iPhone makes a huge difference in how the devices are used. A camera placed in the Touch doesn't even come close to making it an iPhone. That cell capability is huge. On top of that there are significant differences in battery life.

What would be funny though is if the defect they found was later traced down to somebodies finger on front of the lens.

Dave

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
There's a big gap on the current Touch lineup. 8GB, and then 32GB? Where's 16GB?

October event, the true 3G Touch with camera, 16GB for $249, 32GB for $349, filling the gaps in the current lineup without discontinuing anything. ;) Who's with me? :D

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Maybe they had them already in production, but there was a last minute design problem (which was rumored) so they had to pull it. I can't imagine Apple INTENTIONALLY giving a video/picture camera to the iPod Nano, and not the iPod Touch. This to me seems like a 'time to market / production issue' that they are covering up and plan to fix for the next version.

There is no "last minute design problem". There is possibly a "we tried for months but there is just no bloody way to fit that camera in" problem.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
seeing how it would have gotten the nano camera I think they changed there mind at the last minute.

It takes awhile to change the case, etc. There were no production problems and they were not going to put a camera in the iPod Touch.

The inside circuitry was designed awhile ago and it didn't cost them anything to leave the space there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.