Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TripHop

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2009
One Person's Redundancy Is Another's Complement

I doubt your bike trip is long enough to drain the entire iPhone battery even if you're listening to audio all the way and receiving SMS or calls (I hope you're not taking said calls or replying while actually riding).
I'm using the iPod Touch to conserve time between charges on the iPhone. While the iPod Touch will play music for hours over several days time, the phone will not due to it's connection with the cell network all the time which eats the battery too quickly where I live - even in just Edge mode. :(
Might be a lie, but it's straight from Apple's spec page. Are you sure you left the device 1.5 days straight without receiving a call, a SMS, or even taking it out of stand-by mode ? I usually have battery life that's pretty close to what Apple claims in all my devices.

Again, the devices are redundant. You seem to want 2 because when one does go out, you have the other. That's not complementary, because by that logic, 2 iPhones would do just as good a job for you as 1 iPhone and 1 touch. 2 touches however wouldn't because you do need the phone part.
300 hours of standby time is 12.5 days. You telling me anyone here can testify to going 12 days between charges with their iPhone? Like I said before, the standby time specification is an outright LIE conceived by some overzealous marketing person. :mad:

I just don't perceive redundancy the same way you do Knight. If I only had an iPhone, I am certain - well I have in fact experienced it - the iPhone cannot last even a full day of the kind of multipurpose use I would want to give it. The iPod Touch is the perfect iPhone companion for all those battery intensive tasks my iPhone can't keep up with before its battery goes into the red zone while the iPod Touch's battery stays charged for several days although I am listening to music and web browsing in Wi-Fi zones a lot on it. I think where I live the cell system seems to take a lot out of the iPhone's battery too quickly even though I have the G3 switch in the OFF position as often as possible. :(

I don't see needing to keep looking around for AC sockets or driving a car I only use once or twice a week for a few minutes each time as a way to keep an iPhone only scenario working for me. I think I may have quite a different lifestyle than the one you have which makes you think they are redundant while my experience finds them very complementary and a necessary duo for a complete and happy Mobile Mac, iPod and iPhone experience. :)

Takuro

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2009
The entire thread seems to have gone off on a tangent concerning an argument whether the iPod Touch stacks up to the iPhone.

The fact is that they both have an overlap, but they are also different enough that Apple deemed it appropriate to create two different product to address two different markets using the same iPhone OS platform. If you're into media and battery life, an iPod is for you. If you're into a portable "swiss army knife"-style cellphone that does everything, at the cost of battery life, get an iPhone.

Back on the topic of the camera. This is getting pretty drawn out. I think at this point we know there's going to be an updated iPod in the future that will make use of the giant, empty space in the 3rd gen models. But until then, the details surrounding the features and specs of such a camera is pure speculation.

I think MacRumors and AppleInsider are giving this whole issue a disproportionate amount of coverage in order to save face. They had a lot riding on their credibility, despite the fact that they might have got a last-minute tip suggesting the camera had been nixed.

MM2270

macrumors regular
May 2, 2002
New York
Well, whatever the case is concerning a cam in the iPod touch, my money will either be held onto a bit longer, OR, I will get a refurb 16 GB 2nd gen touch from the Apple Store. For the same $199 price as the so called "updated" 8 GB model Apple is now selling, I'll get an extra 8 GB of storage and basically the same device. The 8 GB model didn't get the speed boost enhancement that the 32 and 64 GB models did. It also doesn't come with the headphones w/ remote. There may be some under the case enhancements which will be revealed in time that the 8 GB model has over the 2nd gen touch, but since Apple isn't saying, its all speculation.

So beyond the lower storage, its essentially the same device, for the same price.
I'm not spending $299 on the 32 GB only to have Apple update it within 6 months or something with a camera and then be pissed I dropped $300 on it.

liveccam

macrumors newbie
Apr 14, 2009
Too bad there is no camera or other meaningful enhancements. Steve could have sold me one if it had been worth it.

iPhone 62S

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2009
They are, and here's the real reasons why it wasen't put there in the first place:
1292.jpg

:p

joshh20

macrumors newbie
Apr 14, 2009
Nano, yes. iPod touch, NO

Why doesn't apple put a camera in the iPod touch? The new nano has a camera. So the iPod touch has only a few more advantages than the nano!! It has the room for it so why don't they make some money. They know that people will buy an nano with a camera so the iPod touch should get 10x more buys than it!!!!!!!!

191911-compare2_500.jpg

Another interesting possibility found in iFixit's teardown of the 3rd Generation iPod Touch was finding of an empty space where on the circuit board that could house a camera. The location is consistent with the location of the rumored iPod Touch camera and is distinct from the previous generation iPod Touch design.

Pictured above is the 2nd Generation iPod Touch on the left and the 3rd Generation iPod Touch on the right. The round metal piece seen in the middle of the 2nd Gen iPod Touch board is actually an antenna cable socket which has been moved on the 3rd Gen iPod Touch, which only has a black plastic spacer in that place. According to iFixit, an iPod-nano style camera would fit in that location.

The finding is consistent with a report from AppleInsider which claimed that the iPod Touch with camera was a real product but had been scrapped about a month ago. The rumor site also believes that Apple is still planning on adding camera capabilities to the iPod Touch in the near future.

Article Link: Apple Still Planning Camera in iPod Touch?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.