Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shadowfax

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2002
Houston, TX
Originally posted by übergeek
compusa is never well stocked :p
true, but there is a difference between hardly being stocked and not being able to keep things on the shelf. it sounds like a town that is very frequented by affluent people.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
Originally posted by FriarTuck
Sorry, no coffee in the internet cafe. Just a bunch of G4 iMacs.
oh ok, for some reason i thought there was coffee. its probably for the best though.

iJon

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Maybe it's hard to keep Macs on the shelves at stores in California because of the frequent earthquakes.

beatle888

macrumors 68000
Feb 3, 2002
Originally posted by macphoria
It does seem like there are quite a few in California. Aren't there 3 within 30 minute driving distance? One in Pasadena, Glendale, Downtown... Are there more that I don't know about?

in L.A. you need more than thrity minutes to travel five miles in a car. and if your around a popular area, just going around the block can take you that long. L.A. sucks when your driving.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
First peek inside the store!

I was in Santa Monica today so I stopped by the store location. The map at Apple's Apple Store Third Street Promenade page makes it look like the store is on Fourth Street or on the east side of Third Street, but it's actually on the west side of Third Street, halfway down the block south of Wilshire Blvd. Third Street, by the way, is 3 blocks from the Pacific Ocean and Santa Monica beach.

And now a Doctor Q exclusive: the first ever peek inside the store. The windows are covered but there is a slight crack between the doors, so I put my camera against the crack and got the photo below. I could see an Exit sign and what looks like a hallway in the back. The store doesn't seem to be set up yet.

Attachments

• thirdstreet.jpg
    thirdstreet.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 164

shadowfax

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2002
Houston, TX
you should photoshop G5 boxes in in shadowy silhouettes but good enough so you can make out G5 on them. that would be classic.

Horrortaxi

macrumors 68020
Jul 6, 2003
Los Angeles
Originally posted by übergeek
anyway, are you going to the opening? it'll be nice to have a little macrumors party while waiting in line :)
I doubt it. It'll really depend on how work treats me on Friday.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
I'm not that good at Photoshopping. And I'd rather not fool anyone anyway. When I fake a photo, it looks pretty darn fake, which keeps me honest. For example, here's me camping out in front of the store to be first in line on Friday:

Attachments

• campout.jpg
    campout.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 167

Horrortaxi

macrumors 68020
Jul 6, 2003
Los Angeles
Originally posted by tazo
I think anything that will improve how many people are buying, using Apple computers is a tremendous advance.
I certainly want Apple to succeed and be around for a long time, but for my own selfish purposes 5% market share is a very good thing.

Mercury

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2003
Hrm, somehow I doubt that you live within 30 minutes of Northridge, but, whatever you want to believe. :)

Maybe it's time to start hitting up Santa Monica again!

uhlawboi80

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2002
houston
well its a given....everyone wants an apple store close to them. Reality is it cant happen, apple doesnt have the resources and honestly doesnt sell the volume nation wide to support it.

as to the texas posters...you may like austin better than dallas, but dallas is ranked 3rd or 4th in the nation for the countries best shopping. it gets the high end stores that there may only be 4 of in the country. Thats why they got an apple store...that and the fact that half of austin is students and cant usually buy computers often. Plus its a smaller market in general. DFW has millions of people, and just in the actual city of houston we have 2 million. austin last i heard hadnt hit 500K.

and as for a store in McAllen...uh, the richs Mexicans come all over the state..the richest to dallas and houston for the high end shopping. i doubt McAllen has a Fendi, Versace, or Louis Vuitton stores for them :p so they will be in houston or dallas anyway

janey

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 20, 2002
sunny los angeles
fine...assuming that there is NO TRAFFIC (only like at 3am lol) it would theoretically take me 30 minutes give or take another 10 to get to any of the apple stores in Los Angeles.
From where i live the grove (and now santa monica) are the closest and it takes me about 15-30 minutes depending on which way i go and what time of day it is and how hard it is to find a place to park.

janey

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 20, 2002
sunny los angeles
Re: First peek inside the store!

Originally posted by Doctor Q
I could see an Exit sign and what looks like a hallway in the back. The store doesn't seem to be set up yet.
thanks for the tip Doctor Q :p

the door looks like the door leading to the restrooms hehe

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Here's the view from the front of the Apple Store, looking directly across the street.

It wouldn't surprise me if a lot of Apple customers spend time "testing" the zoom lenses on the cameras Apple has on display.

I wonder if Apple and Victoria's Secret will do any kind of joint marketing, such as co-promoting Panther-print nighties?

Attachments

• acrossstreet.jpg
    acrossstreet.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 164

shadowfax

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2002
Houston, TX
Originally posted by Doctor Q
It wouldn't surprise me if a lot of Apple customers spend time "testing" the zoom lenses on the cameras Apple has on display.

I wonder if Apple and Victoria's Secret will do any kind of joint marketing, such as co-promoting Panther-print nighties?
ah, now i remember why you posted with us on the geek/sex thread. we'll have to get Victoria's Secret advertising in our magazine when the store opens.

CaVoLo

macrumors member
Feb 1, 2003
Originally posted by Shadowfax
what is it with all these california stores? don't you guys have enough? we need one in austin, there is a massive population of mac users here. shoot, they have 2 in Dallas, and that place sucks compared to austin. apple needs to get on the ball with it's retail store strategy :mad:

there is an awfully lot of them in california....put one of em in alaska...lol

but cali is where apple's HQ is at...so it sorta makes sense

Mercury

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2003
Originally posted by CaVoLo
there is an awfully lot of them in california....put one of em in alaska...lol

but cali is where apple's HQ is at...so it sorta makes sense

It's good to live in LA. :)

Seriously, though, it may seem odd to have all these apple stores in the LA area, but you have to realize the sheer immensity of the population of the area. LA city itself has something like 4.5 million people, which is something like the 7th largest city in the world, 2nd only to NY in the US. And LA County is the largest metropolitan area in the US, possibly the world, with something like 10 million in the suburban sprawl.

Also, the ones up near silicon valley and Apple HQ should be self-explanatory.

So, maybe when you look at the numbers, it makes a bit more sense for all of you non Californians. ;)

Sayhey

macrumors 68000
May 22, 2003
San Francisco
2002-2003 Apple stores

In May Apple announced that it would be opening 20 new stores in the next year. If you look at Apple's job postings on its own site and at monster.com, it is clear where 18 of those 20 stores will be. The three already opened since May are the Chestnut Hill store, the Chicago store, and the Boca Raton store. Santa Monica and Walnut Creek will open on July 11th and 12th respectively. A November date was announced by the mall in Aventura, Florida for a store there. The others with no announced opening date are: Seattle, WA; Richmond, VA; Burlingame, CA; Tucson, AZ; Lyndhurst, OH; Portland, OR; Alpharetta, GA; Skokie, IL; Corte Madera, CA; Marlton, NJ; and the two Flagship stores in Tokyo and San Francisco. Apple is obviously committed to openings in large population centers.

tazo

macrumors 68040
Re: 2002-2003 Apple stores

Originally posted by Sayhey
In May Apple announced that it would be opening 20 new stores in the next year. If you look at Apple's job postings on its own site and at monster.com, it is clear where 18 of those 20 stores will be. The three already opened since May are the Chestnut Hill store, the Chicago store, and the Boca Raton store. Santa Monica and Walnut Creek will open on July 11th and 12th respectively. A November date was announced by the mall in Aventura, Florida for a store there. The others with no announced opening date are: Seattle, WA; Richmond, VA; Burlingame, CA; Tucson, AZ; Lyndhurst, OH; Portland, OR; Alpharetta, GA; Skokie, IL; Corte Madera, CA; Marlton, NJ; and the two Flagship stores in Tokyo and San Francisco. Apple is obviously committed to openings in large population centers.

I think opening up a flagship store in downtown would be awesome.

Mercury

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2003
No, there isn't one in downtown LA. And, there probably won't be for quite some time, as downtown, unfortunately, is one of the poorest areas in Los Angeles except for a very few skyscrapers-but horrible for retail.

There are some good restaurants, if you can find them, like the Original Pantry.

Sayhey

macrumors 68000
May 22, 2003
San Francisco
"I think opening up a flagship store in downtown would be awesome."

If you mean the Seattle store, I don't think it is meant to be a flagship store on the scale of Chicago, New York, or LA. It is supposed to be in the University Village, but I don't know Seattle well enough to know what kind of area that is.

Horrortaxi

macrumors 68020
Jul 6, 2003
Los Angeles
Originally posted by Mercury There are some good restaurants, if you can find them, like the Original Pantry.
Ick. People rave about the Pantry but I don't get it. Felipe's--across from Union Station--that's a great place. Anyway, you're right that downtown LA doesn't fit the "profile" of places Apple puts their stores. Although, have you seen the igloo things the homeless live in (hmm...then are they really homeless?) over by Staples Center? They look like great big AirPort Extreme base stations so maybe they'd dig the Apple style.

janey

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 20, 2002
sunny los angeles
Originally posted by Horrortaxi
Although, have you seen the igloo things the homeless live in (hmm...then are they really homeless?) over by Staples Center? They look like great big AirPort Extreme base stations so maybe they'd dig the Apple style.
you must be talking about Dome Village. It's a place for homeless individuals looking for a job to live at. Even if they wanted to buy an Apple computer i'm sure they either don't have the money for it and if they do they're certainly not gonna spend it on a Mac.

tazo

macrumors 68040
Originally posted by Sayhey
"I think opening up a flagship store in downtown would be awesome."

If you mean the Seattle store, I don't think it is meant to be a flagship store on the scale of Chicago, New York, or LA. It is supposed to be in the University Village, but I don't know Seattle well enough to know what kind of area that is.

The next Seattle store is going to be out of the way near University of Washington, in the so-called U-District. The current one is in Bellevue which is a few minutes driving from Seattle.

Hey man you should visit! SanFran is a great city, lots of stuff to do, cool people :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.