Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tasty_mushroom

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2024
hello everyone!
I've just purchased ASD for my Macbook Air M1.
I have a not trivial question about PowerDelivery.

Before starting to use ASD i used alluminium Orico 4-1 10Gb USB Type-C Hub with PD port.
So i connected PD port of hub with Macbook Charger, connected all my devices to other ports of hub and then used 1 cable connection to one of the Macbook ports. My macbook was powered by this 1 cable connection.

Now with ASD i have connected Thunderbolt cable from ASD to Macbook and it also gives PowerDelivery.
I need to use all my devices and some of them need extra power supply.. One of the divices always disconnects without PD connected to the hub.
So the question.. If my macbook is already Powerdelivered, can i use 2nd Macbook Air port for the Hub which also will be powered from macbook charger in to PD port?

Is it safe? Will it work?
Won't my laptop overpowered?

2nd question is maybe even crazier, but....
can i connect this Orico Hub to Apple studio display USB-C port while the Orico Hub is connected with Macbook charger to PD port

Arctic Moose

macrumors 65816
Jun 22, 2017
Gothenburg, Sweden
Is it safe? Will it work?
Won't my laptop overpowered?

I cannot cite any specs, but I can provide some anecdotal evidence.

I have used an M1 MacBook Pro, M2 MacBook Air and an M3 MacBook Pro with the ASD and multiple powered Thunderbolt hubs connected, and have not had any issues with charging. It doesn’t matter which devices I disconnect, as long as one is connected the laptop continues charging.

can i connect this Orico Hub to Apple studio display USB-C port while the Orico Hub is connected with Macbook charger to PD port

Not quite sure what you are asking.

You cannot use the ASD as a 5K display without a Thunderbolt connection, so you cannot have a USB hub between the laptop and the display.

I do use a Thunderbolt hub between mine, which works fine.

Also, I do have a powered USB hub hanging off the back of the ASD to connect cameras, microphones, lights and such.

tasty_mushroom

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2024
I have used an M1 MacBook Pro, M2 MacBook Air and an M3 MacBook Pro with the ASD and multiple powered Thunderbolt hubs connected, and have not had any issues with charging. It doesn’t matter which devices I disconnect, as long as one is connected the laptop continues charging.
what kind of powered hub you mean?
i have one that have 3 usb-c inputs and one pd input.

IMG_6777.jpeg IMG_6778.jpeg

when i used my mac without Apple Studio Display i used one cable connection to my mac.
this hub was charging my laptop
but now my laptop already gets power from the apple studio display
is it ok to use them simultaneously?
both of them transmit charging

my 2nd question was about...
i still charging my laptop from ASD, but i want to connect this hub to one of usb-c on ASD back..
is it ok if it hub will be powered by macbook charger?
i need this because one device connected to the hub don't getting enought of power supply

Arctic Moose

macrumors 65816
Jun 22, 2017
Gothenburg, Sweden
what kind of powered hub you mean?

One of these:

(60W PD)

And one of these:

(87W PD)

I am pretty sure I have even had them both connected at the same time as the ASD, as well as a hard drive enclosure that also provides power.

is it ok if it hub will be powered by macbook charger?

Have you tried it with only power from the ASD, so you know it does not work?

I am pretty confident you won’t have any problems using the power supply if the hub is from a reputable company. (I’ve bought a few Orico products, they have all been solid.)

tasty_mushroom

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2024
One of these:
first link is broken

I am pretty sure I have even had them both connected at the same time as the ASD, as well as a hard drive enclosure that also provides power.
ok. thanks. so technically i can connect both ASD & my Orico Hub powered by apple 40w charger at the same time.
right? nothing will be damaged and macbook will take as much power as it need?
Have you tried it with only power from the ASD, so you know it does not work?
i tried to connect my sound card (RME Babyface Pro) directly to ASD and from time to time it disconnects (every 30 mins or so). that's never happened when i used it connected to my hub with PD.
this is why asked about connecting my hub with PD to ASD USB-C Port.
this way i could be use only one cable connection with my macbook.
is it safe? I'm afraid of damaging the monitor

henry72

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2009
New Zealand
first link is broken

ok. thanks. so technically i can connect both ASD & my Orico Hub powered by apple 40w charger at the same time.
right? nothing will be damaged and macbook will take as much power as it need?

i tried to connect my sound card (RME Babyface Pro) directly to ASD and from time to time it disconnects (every 30 mins or so). that's never happened when i used it connected to my hub with PD.
this is why asked about connecting my hub with PD to ASD USB-C Port.
this way i could be use only one cable connection with my macbook.
is it safe? I'm afraid of damaging the monitor
It might help if you post a photo of your setup. Are you using any USB-A to C adapter?

I had a look at the RME Babyface Pro specs, it looks like it has its own power source from DC so it shouldn't need any additional power from the USB port.

Reactions: Arctic Moose

tasty_mushroom

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2024
It might help if you post a photo of your setup. Are you using any USB-A to C adapter?
i already posted photo of my hub here
my setup is Macbook Air M1 + Apple Studio Display + RME BabyFace Pro + 2 different midi controllers (Korg NanoKontrol + Sensel Morph)

I had a look at the RME Babyface Pro specs, it looks like it has its own power source from DC so it shouldn't need any additional power from the USB port.
this DC power source is an option.. it's not included.. it must be purchased separately..
more of that.. i'm using this sound card around 10 years on windows and few years on mac by simple 1m usb connection.

1) it works well with my orico powered hub
2) it works well if i connect it directly to 2nd port of my laptop
3) it constantly disconnects if i connect it directly to ASD, while my midi controllers do NOT disconnects (they also pluged into ASD usb-c ports)

Code:
2024-02-01 16:04:49.059183+0300  localhost icdd[539]: [com.apple.imagecapture:icdd]            [Removed] | [USB][ Babyface Pro (70794 ] (ff, 0, 0) @ 0x2110000 |

2024-02-01 16:30:50.619500+0300  localhost icdd[539]: [com.apple.imagecapture:icdd]            [Removed] | [USB][ Babyface Pro (70794 ] (ff, 0, 0) @ 0x2110000 |

i used simple one cable setup with my hub before.. and i love this...
i tried to connect everything to ASD USB-C ports and i have a problem with soundcard
would be just beautiful if still could use one cable connection to my macbook

looking the ways how to do that with my humble setup
this is why i asked "can i connect hub with PD to ASD usb-c downstream port?"

Last edited:

tasty_mushroom

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2024
Looks like my question with soundcard disconnections was sorted..
I changed a USB-C port on ASD.
Looks like it has more priority, i don't know.. But for now no disconnects for a week, even if im using all ports and even with connected 10Gb/s SSD enclosure. Everything connected directly to ASD and i still can use one cable connection

usb-c.png

Has anyone’s ASD suddenly died? I dont use mine every day so I turn off the power strip. Today I find it completely dead - no bootup dots, no charging. Just black.
Im also turning off the power strip everyday, because my soundcard and midi controllers still On even if thunderbolt cable is disconnected. I hope it a right way to Power Off the monitor.

Last edited:

Eric_WVGG

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2016
gentrification fallout zone
Has anyone’s ASD suddenly died? I dont use mine every day so I turn off the power strip. Today I find it completely dead - no bootup dots, no charging. Just black.

I’m glad I still have warranty but only a month left.
Back when I first got the display, I had many episodes where it wouldn't turn on. That was eventually solved through firmware updates, but it took all summer to sort out.

I suggest…

1. Make sure your Mac is on the absolute latest OS release. Don't be one of those guys who only never updates because "it'll break everything," if you are then the opposite is happening now.
2. Leave the display plugged into your Mac for at least a couple days, with everything powered on.
3. Maybe even turn off low power mode on the Mac so it doesn't go to sleep. You basically want it to detect the display and initialize a software update.

If it hasn't magically sorted itself out in 48 hours, book a genius bar appointment.

Reactions: dotzero123

dcmaccam

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2017
West Coast of Scotland
Back when I first got the display, I had many episodes where it wouldn't turn on. That was eventually solved through firmware updates, but it took all summer to sort out.

I suggest…

1. Make sure your Mac is on the absolute latest OS release. Don't be one of those guys who only never updates because "it'll break everything," if you are then the opposite is happening now.
2. Leave the display plugged into your Mac for at least a couple days, with everything powered on.
3. Maybe even turn off low power mode on the Mac so it doesn't go to sleep. You basically want it to detect the display and initialize a software update.

If it hasn't magically sorted itself out in 48 hours, book a genius bar appointment.
What is the latest firmware update for the Studio display

ToastedCashew

macrumors member
Feb 15, 2023
I took my ASD to apple and they got back to me saying that they attempted revival but it didn't work, the power supply seems dead. Part cost would have been like $270 out of warranty.

Reactions: tasty_mushroom

justmadeupname

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2022
I took my ASD to apple and they got back to me saying that they attempted revival but it didn't work, the power supply seems dead. Part cost would have been like $270 out of warranty.
Thanks for the update and good that you still (just about) are covered for the $270 cost.

Not having a go at you (each to the own) but any reason folks here don't (or wouldn't) get AppleCare+ for a ASD?

I see good prices on eBay (UK) for ASD's put I'm put off not being able to add AC+ which costs £45/year not a massive amount and you get peace of mind.

Reactions: picpicmac

justmadeupname

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2022
I guess I don't buy AppleCare because any time I've ever needed to tried to redeem any kind of insurance or warranty it's turned out to be an expensive waste of time ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Thanks for feedback 👍 Anybody else have similar experience?

My experience was different (or maybe I was just lucky) but I got an iMac 21.5" (2010) repaired in the 3rd year, It would've cost £600 without AppleCare to repair it -- screen and logic board were replaced.

diggy33

macrumors 65816
Aug 13, 2011
Northern Virginia
Thanks for the update and good that you still (just about) are covered for the $270 cost.

Not having a go at you (each to the own) but any reason folks here don't (or wouldn't) get AppleCare+ for a ASD?

I see good prices on eBay (UK) for ASD's put I'm put off not being able to add AC+ which costs £45/year not a massive amount and you get peace of mind.
I got it for mine; with it still being a first gen product I don’t want something to happen down the road. Just purchased in December so I am good for a few years.

Reactions: dcmaccam

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018

My experience was different (or maybe I was just lucky) but I got an iMac 21.5" (2010) repaired in the 3rd year, It would've cost £600 without AppleCare to repair it -- screen and logic board were replaced.
I had to have the logic board in my ASD replaced. I was VERY happy that I had Applecare.

picpicmac

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2023
The one time I needed to use my AppleCare on my old MacBook I was in Japan. Took it into the Osaka Apple Store, and they replaced the hard drive without any question.

IMO, AppleCare makes sense for:
1) any mobile device;
2) any display.

Something like the Mac Mini is unlikely to need anything fixed if it works right out of the box.

ToastedCashew

macrumors member
Feb 15, 2023

I've never had a monitor die on me, they just seemed like really stable products. My two LG 5k have been kicking around for several years.

Arctic Moose

macrumors 65816
Jun 22, 2017
Gothenburg, Sweden
Yeah, pretty much any Apple product that has ever failed on me during its expected lifetime has done so under warranty. My Power Macintosh 9600 from 1997 still works as well as it did the day I got it, and I am still using the keyboard that it came with daily.

I have cracked a screen or two, but when it has been bad enough to require replacement it has been covered by home insurance. (I have had a few devices stolen, but they wouldn't have been covered by AppleCare anyhow, and were at least partially covered by other insurance.)

The money I've saved by not purchasing AppleCare I've never needed would likely cover a new Mac, a new ASD, an iPad and a phone, so I figure I can afford trashing a device or two without feeling too bad about it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.