Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

braddick

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2009
Encinitas, CA
Such a simple fix, unless you're jail broken: settings > reset > Erase All Content and Settings.

Done.

(Turn off WIFI at home to keep the firmware was re-downloading.)

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
I'm glad someone is doing this. Sadly though, the lawyers will get richer and mybe, we won't be forced to download the update for those of us on 6.1.3.

----------

Such a simple fix, unless you're jail broken: settings > reset > Erase All Content and Settings.

Done.

Done until it downloads it again. The only way to stop it is to fill the space leaving less then 3GB available.

sadyhr

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2008
Denmark
How to see if it happened

Is there any way to see, if my iPhone have downloaded the update-files itself?

And there is truly no way to get rid of the installer-file if it has been downloaded, AND I want to stay on iOS 6? (without jailbraking, which isn't yet possible for iOS 6, right?).

Oh sorry - haven't seen the post about the

»settings > reset > Erase All Content and Settings.«

And then my normal settings could be restored from a backup from iTunes?

Last edited:

djtech42

macrumors 65816
Jun 23, 2012
Mason, OH
He needs to just upgrade and stop being so ridiculous about it. Although, then he is going to start suing over the icons and the animations. :rolleyes:

oliversl

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2007
For once something can understand and I think is fair what the user ask, don't know the language but why if Apple forcing the user to download something he doesn't want?

excy

macrumors newbie
May 9, 2012
Make an OS/GUI that is recognisable, customisable, and configurable... I guess it's quite tough.

iSee

macrumors 68040
Oct 25, 2004
I wouldn't call it "thuggary"

But his demands are very reaonsable. Apple should definitely settle this one.
(Though I'd be very surprised if they weren't already preparing an iOS 6 update that allows the 3GB to be recovered.)

ugh

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2013
Free software? This thuggery must STOP NOW!

What's next? Free health care?

Stop interfering with my FREEDOM!

skorpien

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2008
iOS 7 on the iPhone 4 is practically unusable. Much like the iPhone 3G was with a previous iOS version (5 or 6, I can't remember). As much as people in here are screaming "get with the times," I can understand somebody not willing to update to preserve their device functionality. At the very least, Apple should include an option in the software update settings to turn this on or off, and if you turn it off after the download of the new OS, it should delete the update and free up the storage on the device. That's not exactly rocket science. And if the person decides to upgrade to the new iOS at a later time, they can sit through the download process at that point in time.

Marrakas

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2012
I'm surprised he didn't ask for more than $50. I mean this insane harassment from apple has probably cost this poor guy atleast $500.000.000

FSMBP

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
Simple solution: Install the iOS 7 download and get over yourself. iOS 7 is great, live in the now and not in the past.

Some places/offices, are still running Windows 7 or Snow Leopard because their apps run perfectly fine and may have not been updated to support newer OSes. This can be applied here - especially if someone's most used app hasn't been updated for iOS 7, why blame him for being on iOS 6?

Also, iPhone 4 running iOS 7 is slower than iOS 6 - so if I had an iPhone 4, I wouldn't want to update. So I would have an iPhone 4 with 2 less gigs (which you can't delete) because Apple made it download in the background.

Is it worth a lawsuit? No - but clearly the early outcries didn't bother Apple to change the way they handle major system updates.

cashel

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2006
Exactly this. People insisting on sticking with iOS 6 really get under my skin. There's no need for it, regardless of what bonkers statistics and things you can come up with for why it's better than iOS 7. Update and live in the current.

Some of us use devices with older versions of iOS for app development and testing. Others have personal reasons for not wanting to upgrade their device from what's on it currently (nothing to do with iOS 7 specifically). Point is, while I think the lawsuit itself is stupid, the idea behind it is not. If people want to stick with iOS6, then let them, and don't force them to throw away valuable storage space.

Porco

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2005
I think he's in the right. There should always have been an option in settings that prevents this from happening in the first place.

Is suing a bit silly? Maybe. But arguably no sillier than Apple shoving their OS update onto your phone without you desiring it, and/or without giving you a sensible way to remove it after the fact.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.