Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ouimetnick

macrumors 68040
Aug 28, 2008
Beverly, Massachusetts
iOS 7 on the iPhone 4 is practically unusable. Much like the iPhone 3G was with a previous iOS version (5 or 6, I can't remember). As much as people in here are screaming "get with the times," I can understand somebody not willing to update to preserve their device functionality. At the very least, Apple should include an option in the software update settings to turn this on or off, and if you turn it off after the download of the new OS, it should delete the update and free up the storage on the device. That's not exactly rocket science. And if the person decides to upgrade to the new iOS at a later time, they can sit through the download process at that point in time.

iOS 7 on the iPhone 4 is NOTHING like iOS 4 on the iPhone 3G. My iPhone 4 is on iOS7, and still runs fine. Sure it is a slower than when it had iOS 4, but no change in speed from iOS 6.

MellowFuzz

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2013
Lol. I'm sure that's why you left. Thanks for helping our gene pool.

- California resident

In a very objective way, it was a fair comment on the outrageously litigious nature of CA. There's a reason contracts often cite adherence to the laws of New York or elsewhere.

However, it was misplaced with respect to this article. Apple needs to be responsive to customer issues and too often, the customer is met with a resounding silence.

Veinticinco

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2009
Europe
Both my iPhone 5 and iPad mini are stuffed full, easily less than 3GB of space. So no auto-downloads for me thankfully.

Surprised people are giving the claimant a hard time. He has a very legitimate point.

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007
This is a reason I left California. Everyone sues anyone over the stupidest things. Way to go America this is what freedom is all about.

Sometimes it's the ONLY way to make corporations listen/change. They don't understand anything else. They are a robotic, unfeeling greed machine that will always put money ahead of people. You can't expect to reason with them. That goes even more for Apple, who is notorious for IGNORING customer complaints and desires. And no, I don't buy the comments on here that it was different with Steve Jobs. It most certainly was NOT. Steve prided himself on IGNORING customer feedback. He felt he knew better than everyone 100% of the time. It's why Apple got rid of him the first time around. Yeah, he was a visionary. But he had his share of flops too and how much better would OSX and some of the hardware be right now if Apple would actually LISTEN to the feedback from its users? Maybe we'd actually have a gaming market instead of just laughs when the word "gaming" is spoken with the word "Mac" in the same breath. The gaming industry BEGGED Apple to make certain changes to OSX. Apple blew them off. Apple only responds when the media makes a huge stink or a huge chunk of users complain or when they get, yes, SUED.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
The only difference is that iOS7 has a ton of more and useful features which is hard not to like, but aesthetics. If you don't want to upgrade based on aesthetics, that's just vain and silly.

It's a little more than just aesthetics, some functions did get harder to use, a few functions went missing altogether, some people are reporting feeling queasy from the animations, etc.

But even if it was just aesthetics, why shouldn't that be a valid reason not to upgrade? I doubt you'd be happy if someone walked into your bedroom and painted it some garish color you just hated, but hey, it's just aesthetics, right? You can still sleep as well in your bedroom as before it got painted.

(Turn off WIFI at home to keep the firmware was re-downloading.)

But iPad is not that useful without wifi! So in order to prevent firmware from redownloading, you have to not use your iPad? How is that a good solution?

TWSS37

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2011
50 dollars? Really?

This is one of those rare lawsuits where the guy isn't trying to get rich off of something trivial, but actually get a company to make a change. I bet he's not the only one out there who would benefit from this. As others have stated, this could significantly impact your experience.

At least when Windows 8 tablets come with 32 gb of memory but only have 200 mb usable space when you buy it, it's in the fine print :D

NorEaster

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2012
I wish I could sue everyone who "wastes" room on my Mac, iPad or iPhone...

What an ignorant comment and horrible analogy...if there's an app that wastes room on your Mac, iPad, or iPhone, then you CAN remove it and its accompanying files. The person suing Apple in this case has no way of removing the unwanted data. It's a legitimate complaint and request.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Both my iPhone 5 and iPad mini are stuffed full, easily less than 3GB of space. So no auto-downloads for me thankfully.

Surprised people are giving the claimant a hard time. He has a very legitimate point.

Why is he suing Tim Cook and not Apple?

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
A lawsuit seems over the top, but Apple should provide a way to delete the download. There are many reasons why people might stay with iOS 6. For starters, some people might be waiting for approval from their employers if they access corporate e-mail through their phones or iPads.

YanniDepp

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2008
Exactly this. People insisting on sticking with iOS 6 really get under my skin. There's no need for it, regardless of what bonkers statistics and things you can come up with for why it's better than iOS 7. Update and live in the current.

I have an iPhone 5, an iPod touch and an iPad 2 running iOS 7. I also have an iPad 3 that I want to keep on iOS 6.

Why? Because I like the iOS 6 Music app a lot more. Because iOS 6 runs better on the iPad 3. Because the iPad 3 doesn't support iOS 7's transparency so everything looks bland.

I bought this device with my money. It's mine. Shouldn't I be able to keep running it in a way that suits me? Shouldn't I be able to keep it looking like it does, working like it does and running with a certain level of performance?

I used to really like my iPad. Now I can't trust it to connect to wifi without eating up 3GB of my space. I wiped it earlier today, and it immediately started downloading iOS 7 again.

Steve Jobs cared about customer experience. This is poor customer experience.

Kissaragi

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2006
If I don't like something a company is doing or providing then I buy something else. You'd even make a profit buying a HTC One and selling your iPhone.

I really don't understand the hours wasted whining about things you cant change.

ed724

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2009
I can't believe people are whining about others not wanting iOS7. If you dont have a 5 or above then it's a valid reason not to. Even if you have a 5 maybe you just don't want to. It should be an option (as it has always been before) .
The ranting is tantamount to saying you must start using a new lower grade fuel in your car (say 81 Octane) (which will of course make it run crappy) whether you like it or not. The auto downloading is like carrying an extra 600 lbs in your trunk every day and you cant remove it because it's been permanently installed. The reason they're suing is because sometimes that's the only way to get their attention. Take a chill pill people.

Orlandoech

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2011
You're free to leave at any time...

But in all honesty, this is a fair point. The prefetching of the update is fine, so long as there's a button to remove it (and the back up code to unsure that once you've pressed said button, it doesn't trigger auto downloads for updates again).

Justifiable, and reasonable demands, painted in absurd language that only discredits the lawsuit and person filing it in my book.

You're free to have your own lame opinion too. Typical fanboy you are.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
His two demands sound quite reasonable to me. A minor screw-up, but one Apple should indeed fix and reclaim that space.

As for the $50, the lawyers will eat half of that :)

TheRainKing

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2012
How hard would it be to add a simple option to delete/disable the automatic download? Not hard at all. What harm would it do? None.

I don't know how anyone can defend Apple on this.

Handicapping old iOS users as a way of forcing them to accept an update they don't want, is a disgraceful tactic. Shame on Apple.

Frost7

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2012
Republic of Texas
You guys are forgetting not everyone is on 32GB and 64GB models. If those are almost full, it's definitely an inconvenience (it is to me; I have a 64GB iPod Touch 5, it's almost full, and that update sitting there isn't helping), but if you're on a 16GB or 8GB device it's downright obnoxious.

People are lawsuit-happy, it's true, but I don't think this one deserves criticism.

cmwade77

macrumors 65816
Nov 18, 2008
Really, if you look for what he is asking in his lawsuit, he is being very reasonable, all that he is asking for is the ability to remove the installer from a device that he paid good money for and owns and $50 for his time, court costs, etc.

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
What a car crash of a thread. The first page is full of idiots shooting from the hip without bothering to read the article and not having a clue what the real issue is. Same old Macrumors. The only thing that matters is blind loyalty to The Cause.

Such a simple fix, unless you're jail broken: settings > reset > Erase All Content and Settings.

Done.

(Turn off WIFI at home to keep the firmware was re-downloading.)

Fantastic. Now you cannot use your WiFi iPad at home for anything requiring the internet. Great solution. I wonder why nobody else thought of it first.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.