Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jmstark

macrumors newbie
Jul 31, 2001
England
Apple's App store has never used .app as an extention.

I'm not sure what you mean when you say Apple's App store has never used .app as an extension. Mac and iOS applications have the extension .app in the the same way that Windows has .exe as an extension. Applications sold in the App Store will have a .app extension to identify them as applications. This extension was adopted when Apple dropped the idea of identifying file types by the information held in the resource fork of files (I guess around the time they introduced Mac OS X in 2001).

BigJimmyC

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2007
This is just pathetic. This is a BS trademark to begin with, no reasonable judge will side with apple on this one. They should never have been allowed to trademark "app store" in the first place. This is just more of lord jobs's megalomania.

notabadname

macrumors 68000
Jan 4, 2010
Detroit Suburbs
Since 2008, the term app store has indeed become more generic. Good luck fighting this Apple. It's the way it is now.

Only in its commonality for the iOS devices. Just because it is so well known, due to the marketing of Apple, does not mean it is generic from a legal perspective. But if they don't fight it, then the rights are lost. Amazon is milking Apple's marketing and hoping that Apple won't fight it, making it generic.

ten-oak-druid

macrumors 68000
Jan 11, 2010
and YES ...There are reference's to Applications being called APPs in Various Microsoft related materials Way before Apple started the APP Store.

And Microsoft didn't apply for the trademark. Will you people take a moment and learn about the issue before commenting?

I'm not saying Apple is right. I'm not saying they are wrong. But there is an argument that Apple's trademarking the term is not out of the question. At the end of this legal battle perhaps Apple will lose the argument. But to say they have no right to trademark the term because some other companies used the term is absurd. Its not an all or nothing situation.

gco212

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2004
Philadelphia
I'm not sure what you mean when you say Apple's App store has never used .app as an extension. Mac and iOS applications have the extension .app in the the same way that Windows has .exe as an extension. Applications sold in the App Store will have a .app extension to identify them as applications. This extension was adopted when Apple dropped the idea of identifying file types by the information held in the resource fork of files (I guess around the time they introduced Mac OS X in 2001).

What I meant was pretty clear. iOS has no .app's, .app has never appeared in iOS. .app is an Apple extention that iOS has has never tried to clear because it is so clearly a losing argument that no one knowledgeable in it would go anywhere near defending it. Trying to protect .app would simply show one lacks a background in the subject. Walk away from this one. You have no idea of the subject and it shows.

ziggie216

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2008
Really how so? It seem windows is doing the copying that see.

-apple first mouse
-apple first GUI
-apple trash/windows recycle bin
-apple widgets/windows gadgets
-apple apps / others makers use the word apps
-apple iphoto and itunes / windows crude way of trying to copy.

None of these things windows invented first!!!

Next it be windows ipad windows 8 OS and windows 8 the dock !!

apple did not invent the mouse, xerox did
apple did not invite GUI, xerox did

jmstark

macrumors newbie
Jul 31, 2001
England
What I meant was pretty clear. iOS has no .app's, .app has never appeared in iOS. .app is an Apple extention that iOS has has never tried to clear because it is so clearly a losing argument that no one knowledgeable in it would go anywhere near defending it. Trying to protect .app would simply show one lacks a background in the subject. Walk away from this one. You have no idea of the subject and it shows.

Well actually it isn't. "iOS has no .app's" (sic). Apostrophe followed by an "s" indicates possession, but you do not indicate what is being possessed. ".app is an Apple extention that iOS has has never tried to clear". Who is iOS and what are they trying to clear? Do you mean Apple rather than iOS and what do you mean by clear?

To misuse you own words "You obviously have no idea about the subject and it shows".

FrozenDarkness

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2009
I know I"ll get flamed for this but nobody in their right mind would side with apple on this issue. It is literally ridiculous that app store can be considered a trademark. yes apple started using app store, but someone has to. Let's give Apple kudos for bringing us into the future. But that's all they deserve. Trademark should only be given to something unique. The example people used aren't accurate. Yes Tissue papers are known as Kleenex, but Kleenex is just a brand. What is the item? a tissue paper. The app store is something, it's literally an application store. It's like if somebody trademarked internet browser or microsoft trademarking spreadsheets or the word "office". Or someone trademarking tablets. God, this is ridiculous.

spillproof

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2009
USA
I think that any combination of "app" and "store" (as well as "shop" "marketplace" and "market") is too general to trademark. If you want to add your name to it, fine.

"App Store" has become generalized for a place to buy and download apps/applications/programs/executable files/"things" for computers and phones. IMO.

So how is 'Windows' not a generic term?

Read the thread before posting. It has been answered and beaten to death.

Astro7x

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2010
I know I"ll get flamed for this but nobody in their right mind would side with apple on this issue. It is literally ridiculous that app store can be considered a trademark. yes apple started using app store, but someone has to. Let's give Apple kudos for bringing us into the future. But that's all they deserve. Trademark should only be given to something unique. The example people used aren't accurate. Yes Tissue papers are known as Kleenex, but Kleenex is just a brand. What is the item? a tissue paper. The app store is something, it's literally an application store. It's like if somebody trademarked internet browser or microsoft trademarking spreadsheets or the word "office". Or someone trademarking tablets. God, this is ridiculous.

While I'll admit that "App Store" is kind of a generic term, if Apple called their store the "Application Store" or "App Market" or something like that every other company would want to jump on that term as well because Apple was there first.

IMO there is nothing wrong with names like "Zune Marketplace" and the only reason it sucks is because it's not "App Store". I don't even know what any competitor would want to call their store an App Store... when I google the term "Appstore" it wants to correct it to "App Store" and the entire first page of results referenced Apple. At least if i search the term "Marketplace" I can find links to Microsofts store on the first page.

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
Is there any tech company in the world that is not being sued by Apple? I have to say that with Apple's R&D budget being as miniscule as it is they really make too much fuss about their patents.

You must not read many headlines. Apple rarely sues anyone but is often the target of lawsuits.

Thats how it is though in these big tech companies, if your not suing you're getting sued.

gco212

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2004
Philadelphia
Well actually it isn't. "iOS has no .app's" (sic). Apostrophe followed by an "s" indicates possession, but you do not indicate what is being possessed. ".app is an Apple extention that iOS has has never tried to clear". Who is iOS and what are they trying to clear? Do you mean Apple rather than iOS and what do you mean by clear?

To misuse you own words "You obviously have no idea about the subject and it shows".

Sigh, iditiots continue past education at some point. Agency theory indicates that if Apple owns and controls iOS, then iOS steps into the shoes of Apple.

And the apostrophe 's' can mean indication of certain plurals of lowercase letters, like the s following what is being possessed.

dr Dunkel

macrumors regular
Nov 3, 2008
"Trademark owners are expected to defend their trademarks against infringement in order to avoid becoming a generic term."

Well, "App Store" is a pretty generic term...

knightlie

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Got to love the armchair business tycoons criticising a company for protecting it's assets. Hilarious.

Minority_taxi

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2008
Go Apple, GO!

What a load of crap !

Like ford trademarking the term "Automobile" after making the model-T ...

Shut up Apple and play nice.

Trademark "Shoe store"

Or "Clothing Store"

You can't trademark a description.

I'm going to trademark the color Red :rolleyes:

and YES ...There are reference's to Applications being called APPs in Various Microsoft related materials Way before Apple started the APP Store.

This is going to be a pathetic fight.

Tiffany & Co has trademarked a colour (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiffany_Blue)
and apparently ANZ Bank, Coke etc. Its possible, maybe Apple white is? :)

The colour purple was as attempted trademark by Cadbury chocolate but lost.

Apple INVENTED the app store, as well as the phrase/term/trend/whatever. Apple will win this hands down.

Mr. Zorg

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2007
No one ever said the word "app" until Apple's App Store...
I assume you're being facetious, but honestly I don't think I ever used the term "app" until Apple started it. It was always "program", "software" or "application"... Or maybe I've just had my iPhone for so long now I forgot what life was like before it.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
Apple Computer sold computers at the time, Apple Records sold record albums...

The App Store sells mobile applications. The Amazon AppStore sells mobile applications. See what I did there? :)

I didn't know Apple Computer existed in 1968 and used an apple for a logo. Funny how things change, isn't it?

Mr. Zorg

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2007
Apple's App store has never used .app as an extention.
I think you're splitting hairs with that argument. It's true that what you download from the app store has a *.ipa extension, not *.app, but that's really just a zip file container for the app itself plus some metadata. Rename it to *.zip, then unzip it. Open the resulting folder and open the Payload folder. What do you find in there? *.app... Ok, it's technically a package, which is really just a folder, it's not the actual binary executable file. But if THAT's your argument, I think you're just being pedantic. For all intents and purposes both Mac and iOS applications are "*.app"s, and to argue otherwise is just being silly.

Flame on, if you want, but you're just wrong - I won't be checking back on this thread anyway...

glacon

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2007
Trademark Hypocrites

Trademarks didn't get in Apple's way when they wanted to use 'iPhone' or 'iPad' both trademarked by other companies. FYI, I know lots of people who used the term 'app' before Apple created it's app store.

kiljoy616

macrumors 68000
Apr 17, 2008
USA
Looks like they're looking to make some headlines via court battles... (Amazon, that is.)

Sound more like Apple is. "App Store" come on now, that trademark should never have been given. This is one broken system. :(

Yes and if we think this is crazy imagine how bad its going to get when they can't come up with new words. :D

Last edited by a moderator:

alongezong

macrumors newbie
Feb 15, 2007
Anheuser-Busch vs. TicketBud

Reminds me of a case where Anheuser-Busch attempted to sue TicketBud for using "Bud" in the name. Busch lost in court to TicketBud and the name remains. I don't think Apple can pull it off, but when you got all that dough, why not try, right? ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.