Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ries

macrumors 68020
Apr 21, 2007
iDislike :mad:

... ONE point of having a smart phone is to let do it some of my brains work even when it is easy to bypass. I just set 'get email' to a 15min interval. Even important email can wait 15min ;)

I know Apple is going to pay whatever it will take to get push back so I will sit this one out :)

They don't have to sell.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
Apple should focus on innovating, and keep the good products coming.

I'd love to feel sorry for Apple, but frankly I lost all respect for them after reading https://www.macrumors.com/2012/02/1...cy-courts-blessing-to-sue-kodak-over-patents/

Time for Apple to grow up, and stop trying to bully/beat people in the courtrooms. Do it with better products.

Before Apple entered the phone market, most damn handsets looked similar for gods sake, now they are suing each other over BS.

The IP system is broken, the only people benefiting from all this crap are the lawyers.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
So are they going to sue RIM as well? Maybe sue MS because their exchange servers push.

Or is this strictly an 'out to get Apple' tactic?

RIM and MS haven't violated the patent, they do it slightly differently and get around it that way.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
This is getting old. It's about time that Apple does something with that billions of dollars. Why did they let Google snug away with Motorola. Apple could see this coming for miles but still they're acting like a little school kid that wants to be right at everything you throw at him. This is crippling the iCloud service in a big way. No push email on iPhone with iCloud is a huge deal. I'm really starting to wonder why all tech companies are bashing on Apple this hard. Is it just because they know a big jar of honey is in Apple's faults or is it because of Apple's notoriously bad licensing habits. I bet it's a combination of both. Good times to be a lawyer firm working for Apple.

Probably because people are fed up of Apple thinking they can bully their way into getting what they want (read on before being a down-vote-fool). The Samsung cases and Kodak lawsuit are prime examples of why some people hate Apple, and you cant really blame them. Apple spent years putting the likes of IBM and Microsoft down for the exact same thing that they have now become.

Thats not to say its Apple's fault. They create a successful series of products and everyone tries to grab a bit of the pie. Apple's problem is that they wont deviate from it's strict "We will have everything, and only us. If anyone copies us we will destroy them!" thinking. They should really be thinking "Ok, someone has a similar product or idea to us. Lets see if we can make ours better to make theirs look inferior".

Whatever you think about Apple, Google, Samsung or Motorola, they are ALL as bad as each other. If they all stopped this crap and just got on at what they did best (compete to make excellent products) then they would rake in a hell of a lot more money and have happy consumers.

Last edited:

kokako

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2011
apple it's time to create your own search engine, bing can't take on google but you can, I want an Apple Search.

Ciclismo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010
Germany
As noted by Engadget, Apple has informed customers that Push email service has been suspended for iCloud and MobileMe customers in Germany due to successful patent litigation by Motorola Mobility.

I live in Germany, and I am signed up to iCloud, but I have not been contacted in any way by Apple to let me know about this, which is a bit annoying. If I were to rely on iCloud for business, I'd be genuinely pissed.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
Live by litigation, die by litigation.

Unfortunately, it can't go both ways. Apple can't sue everyone else, play industry victim to "copying" and "only enforcing the right to defend its own IP" and then not suffer the consequences when they violate someone else's IP. Apple isn't the only IP owner in the world.

This is why patents have forever been a MAD (Mutually Assured Destruction) type weapon. You bring them out in defense of yourself, not in offense against competitors. Otherwise, you get the situation we're in now.

And don't get me wrong, Motorola, Google, Apple, Nokia, Kodak, RIM, Microsoft, name the corporation, I don't care whether they win or lose. In the end, the true loser is the consumer, us.

NightFox

macrumors 68040
May 10, 2005
Shropshire, UK
Have to say that the way iCloud 'push' email has been for me recently, if this happened in the UK I don't think I'd even notice.

Matt-M

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2009
Nashua, NH
I live in Germany, and I am signed up to iCloud, but I have not been contacted in any way by Apple to let me know about this, which is a bit annoying. If I were to rely on iCloud for business, I'd be genuinely pissed.

They probably emailed it to you, but it didn't get pushed to your phone. :)

mw360

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010

Maybe because you've not updated your email settings? (Edit: darn, beaten to that one)

Anyway, big deal. What business relies on push email? Except, evidently, Motorola...

asd789789

macrumors member
Feb 24, 2012
Frankfurt am Main

Same here... didn't get any Information!
BUT the push-service is still working for me even though i switched everything else of :confused:
I write an e-mail from work (Microsoft Exchange) to my iCloud-account (xxxxxx@me.com) and i get it only seconds later pushed to my iPhone.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
I'd love to feel sorry for Apple, but frankly I lost all respect for them after reading https://www.macrumors.com/2012/02/1...cy-courts-blessing-to-sue-kodak-over-patents/

Kodak is suing everyone left and right over patents, since that's the only thing they have left now as they proceed into bankruptcy. Apple's move is pre-emptive in that regard.

----------

So they have to figure out another way to bring it back.

Germany is quite a huge market and I hope they will do everything to bring back push to us.

One way may be to license the technology from Microsoft. Although they are historical competitors, for the most part that battle is over, and they both see Google as a common threat.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
Apple's move is pre-emptive in that regard.

Pre-emptive ? Apple has been sued and lost to Kodak last year. Kodak sued Apple again in January before this move by Apple. This is a counter-suit Apple is trying to establish really.

This is reactive, not pre-emptive at all.

AdeFowler

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2004
England
Pre-emptive ? Apple has been sued and lost to Kodak last year. Kodak sued Apple again in January before this move by Apple. This is a counter-suit Apple is trying to establish really.

This is reactive, not pre-emptive at all.

Really? Seriously, I didn't know that.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
Really? Seriously, I didn't know that.

Really : http://www.zdnet.com/blog/btl/kodak-wins-again-over-apple-rim-in-itc-patent-ruling/51776

----------

And there you discovered the entire "reason" for this lawsuit.

Google's thugs strike again.

The lawsuit was filed prior to the acquisition. And to call Google thugs after Apple's actions against Samsung and others these last years is quite ridiculous. They're all thugs, and the consumer is the victim.

lepaka

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2012
Absurd decision

the laws, the governants, the human stupidity ... are not prepared for the developed world we live in :mad:

why in the f**ing world the free/democratic countries are so CLOSED we are not free to do anything. CENSURE is all around us, the technology is available and can not be used because someone has the right to deprive the HUMANS BEINGS :confused:

as i heard before, Motorola refuses to give the rights to Apple to use this feature, Motorola never explains why because it is their own patent rights :eek:

I hope Motorola can live happy forever with their decision ...

LONG LIVE THE FREE WORLD

:apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.