Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kingofwale

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2010
Have you heard about the model X or model 3? their delays? They have also delayed their profit guidance up to 2019. They sell some tenths of thousands of niche cars, have enormous debt and operating costs, and have a market cap like they were going to sell millions. Now they've said they're delaying their mainstream vehicles another year or pair of years. By then BMW and others will have their electric range

I'm sorry but Tesla is pure hype for geeks and snobs (in the US), vaporware+bubble stock (and brand).

The Model S is a good car by the way.

And of course they're unknown, do you think the people on forums and car-tech sites represent a big percentage over the whole population?

what is BMW i3 range right now? 34 miles?

What about the 140K i8 then??? I think around 40 miles?

yeaaah, a couple of years is not going to happen.

kingofwale

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2010
Seriously? Do you think the world ends in Alaska or what? So you're saying me that if we select random people from all over the world, both sex and all the age ranges, Tesla will be a commonly recognized and positively considered brand? You have to be joking. Do your mothers even know what Tesla is or recognize its emblem?

Strongest car brands, by the way: Ferrari and Mercedes-Benz. Partly because they are WIDELY known. Tesla is not even between the top 20 best known brands, which is a requisite (to be known, obviously). That's why it's called "niche"

let me put it this way, if you know Apple product, you know Telsa.

It's not selling as many cars as other manufactures, but it doesn't mean it's not well-known. get your head out of the sand

nando87

Cancelled
Jun 25, 2014
let me put it this way, if you know Apple product, you know Telsa.

It's not selling as many cars as other manufactures, but it doesn't mean it's not well-known. get your head out of the sand

Hahaha, please keep this coming. Complete surrealism.

Do you imagine someone not knowing what these emblems mean?

ferrari_emblem_and_logo_vector.jpg

mercedes-stern.jpg

If you consider the concept is similar in form or size with this

Tesla.jpg

Then, I'm sorry, because it's the opposite reality.

Last edited by a moderator:

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
If your parents and friends know what Tesla is, then there is no doubt :rolleyes: Internet reality is really really bizarre.

Well I think you're proof positive of that as well :)

Why is this so hard for you to believe? Please enlighten how you can claim otherwise.

BTW - intimating that I'm lying over such a ridiculous subject is mind boggling. I care enough to respond to your silly assertions. Not enough to ever lie about a personal proof point.

Sad that you would think anyone would be THAT invested in this conversation to have to make yup a lie to prove YOU wrong LOL

cashxx

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2010
Hmmm

Kinda makes you wonder now why Apple and Tesla CEO's met about a year or so ago? Arguing over poaching workers, Apple buying Tesla or some sort of partnership or what?

Marley Chil

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2015
Apple has money, Tesla has a purpose

No, Apple is a very good and very strong brand, maybe the best. Tesla is a niche+vaporware quite unknown brand.

Apple has infinitely more money, expertise and power. If Tesla thinks they are winning at something, is because Apple wants it that way, or simply doesn't care.

Let's be realistic.

Realistic is what Apple wants you to see. Prestige and money vs Purpose and heart. Realistic everyone has a choice as to what matter most in life and in the future. What did I contribute, not what did I buy.

JesperA

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2012
Sweden
Seriously? Do you think the world ends in Alaska or what? So you're saying me that if we select random people from all over the world, both sex and all the age ranges, Tesla will be a commonly recognized and positively considered brand? You have to be joking. Do your mothers even know what Tesla is or recognize its emblem?
Alaska, if you open your eyes you would have seen that i live in Sweden, and even all the way over here Tesla have alot of media exposure, everyone doesnt live under a rock like you. And since i already told you in my other post that everyone i know knows what a Tesla is that would have answered your last question but you still go on this incredible stupid rant of yours, refusing to listen even though several people now have told you how wrong you are.

I hope you are just trolling.

Again, you do realize that Tesla was founded 12 years ago, only sells in a handful of countries (mainly in 1 country), have no advertising, don't compete in any kind of motorsport, and has sold 50k cars, do you?
Ok, now it is obivous that you dont know what you are talking about. Tesla sells to quite a few countries actually, more than a handfull of european countries, even have superchargers placed all over western and nothern europe: http://www.teslamotors.com/en_EU/supercharger
Also it has quite alot of advertising and alot of media exposure.

You are wrong, i dont understand why you are so incredible stubborn when alot of people have told you how wrong you are. Why is it so important for you that you insist on that Tesla is a "nobody"

Marley Chil

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2015
I senior manager at work has one. Although he's given many people a test ride, I haven't mustered the courage to ask yet. I have looked at that massive touchscreen and wondered if this works well it's the future. It's awesome in so many damn ways.

Just go to their website and sign up for a free test. PS If they have the Model S P85D or any other D test drive that. No deposit, no pressure, just you have wanted to test drive one. You can also check out the 17" display and play with it a little. Trust me, It is a very laid back experience, definitely a different experience than a dealership.

nando87

Cancelled
Jun 25, 2014
And yet again, they're marked 5th in a Consumer Reports brand perception survey, listed alongside 20 other well known car manufacturers.

Tesla is very much known as a concept company, rather than being a mass seller like Honda, Toyota, Chevy, etc. But it's a known brand. That's the important distinction here. The one you're either missing, or choosing to ignore. It's known well enough to score 5th place in a random survey conducted among 1,600 car owners.

Consumer Reports is about the perception of the brand who has the people who actually know the brands, it's not about its popularity. There is not "Don't know/Don't answer" option.

Anyway, is the report from the USA-world of from the entire world? Because Tesla is an american brand. I'm sure some french people wouldn't believe some chaps in Nebraska don't know about the 206 GTI

Renzatic

Suspended
Consumer Reports is about the perception of the brand who has the people who actually knows the brands, it's not about its popularity, man. There is not "Don't know/Don't answer" option.

It's a random survey conducted among 1,600 single car owners. If what you're saying is true, it would've placed on the bottom of the list, rather than just below the likes of Chevy and Honda.

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place

Strongest car brands, by the way: Ferrari and Mercedes-Benz. Partly because they are WIDELY known. Tesla is not even between the top 20 best known brands, which is a requisite (to be known, obviously). That's why it's called "niche"

Why would you assume I think the world ends at Alaska? Perhaps because I can see Russia from my window? Bolded from your comment: My teenager does the same thing. She casts as wide a net as possible hoping the one thing I mention will be outside of it. Won't bite. Sorry.

Warning: I'm setting you up to fail and I'm going to use your logic to do it. I know the answers to the following already.

Why would you assume Ferrari and MB are the strongest car brands? What metric are you using? As we love to say on this forum: Source please. :) If we used the logic you used against Tesla, MB is #4 and Ferrari doesn't even crack the top 25.

Out on limb, who would you say sold more cars worldwide last year? Not just in Alaska either. Hint: they didn't roll out of Maranello;) Oh yeah, big pictures make you no more right than little ones. Also, look at my name. We can go back and forth on cars for a lifetime. How about I just say you win and we call it a day.

scottsjack

macrumors 68000
Aug 25, 2010
Arizona
No, Apple is a very good and very strong brand, maybe the best. Tesla is a niche+vaporware quite unknown brand.

Apple has infinitely more money, expertise and power. If Tesla thinks they are winning at something, is because Apple wants it that way, or simply doesn't care.

Let's be realistic.

First there a plenty of Teslas running around where I live. I see way more of them than those niche+vaporware quite unknown brand Rolls and Bentleys. Plus the new Mercedes-Benz B-Class Electric has at least a partly Tesla powertrain.

Additionally some workers may prefer taking a chance with a dynamic Steve Job-like leader. Look at Tim Cook. He is about as exciting as a wet dish towel. And Jony? "Make it thinner, thinner, thinner" freakezoid has-been IMHO.

Apple may make plenty of money but I think its better days may be behind it. Maybe Tesla will never make it to the real big-time but the experience of working for someone dynamic might make up for it.

Natzoo

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2014
oh boi, cant wait to see what tesla releases next. I think tesla should release their version of mercedes "lighting package"

CFreymarc

Suspended
Sep 4, 2009

Let's be realistic.

Apple can afford to loose a some of their best as there is a very fixed hierarchy in the place moving up when top talent quits. Many who have jumped to Tesla miss the "old Jobs days" where many believe that the Johnny Ive / Tim Cook combination does not put Humpty Dumpty together again.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Apple can afford to loose a some of their best as there is a very fixed hierarchy in the place moving up when top talent quits. Many who have jumped to Tesla miss the "old Jobs days" where many believe that the Johnny Ive / Tim Cook combination does not put Humpty Dumpty together again.

Source?

Marley Chil

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2015
I was linking brand to economic power because the only thing remarkable about Tesla is its market cap, so I give it some chance. I feel as I do because I do this for a living and Tesla is a financial joke.

The Tesla brand per se is worth very little since it's very unknown.

I'll repeat: Apple could buy the entire Tesla using last quarter's profits. If Tesla hires someone from Apple is simply because Apple doesn't care.

Apple could buy Tesla, but it would cost them more than $18 Billion. They however they are smarter for not paying the market cap of $30 Billion and lose Tesla most valuable asset, one Elon Musk. You are making the assumption that it is always about money. The meaning of life is not money even it helps to keep the score. What is your purpose for living? What is in your heart, that only you truly know? Tesla matters to the world more than you could even imagine, if you are only looking at the numbers.

nando87

Cancelled
Jun 25, 2014
Apple could buy Tesla, but it would cost them more than $18 Billion. They however they are smarter for not paying the market cap of $30 Billion and lose Tesla most valuable asset, one Elon Musk. You are making the assumption that it is always about money. The meaning of life is not money even it helps to keep the score. What is your purpose for living? What is in your heart, that only you truly know? Tesla matters to the world more than you could even imagine, if you are only looking at the numbers.

Ohhh how cute! It's as true that business are done that way as Tesla is a comparable brand to Apple (and others)

Last edited by a moderator:

Doomtomb

macrumors 6502a
Jul 14, 2011
Austin, TX
Jobs & Musk Comparison.... bit about 17" touchscreen from Apple wtf? really?

This article is a lot of hot air and speculation without much basis

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.