Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

soheilk

macrumors member
Feb 19, 2014
Has Tesla figured out they're a battery company yet?

They're a battery company in the making. That Gigafactory would be big enough to sell to the other auto makers and corner a market.

This. Yes, they have. Why do you think they've opened up all their patents except those related to their batteries? I'm pretty sure they've decided to become the battery supplier to all of the other car companies and let those manufacturers take care of solving the mass-production problem of electric cars.

Marley Chil

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2015
17" touchscreen :eek::eek::eek:

that's what I'm talkin' bout...sharp car

Apple should buy Tesla and name it iCar

That would be foolish. Why would you pay 6 times the book value? Apple cannot buy Tesla otherwise they or some company would have. Think man why is it so overvalued? Because there are a lot of people who believe in the mission of Tesla.

Apple would pay $30 billion dollars the share holders would say thank you and take their profits and Elon would leave $8 billion dollars richer. Oh, within 5 years he would have started 4 or 5 and have a personal net value of about $60 Billion. If you look down on others you will miss your true height.

Iconoclysm

macrumors 68040
May 13, 2010
Washington, DC
Seriously? Do you think the world ends in Alaska or what? So you're saying me that if we select random people from all over the world, both sex and all the age ranges, Tesla will be a commonly recognized and positively considered brand? You have to be joking. Do your mothers even know what Tesla is or recognize its emblem?

Strongest car brands, by the way: Ferrari and Mercedes-Benz. Partly because they are WIDELY known. Tesla is not even between the top 20 best known brands, which is a requisite (to be known, obviously). That's why it's called "niche"

http://www.forbes.com/powerful-brands/list/

Toyota and BMW come before Mercedes. Ferrari? Not on the list.

Marley Chil

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2015
Hahaha, please keep this coming. Complete surrealism.

Do you imagine someone not knowing what these emblems mean?

If you consider the concept is similar in form or size with this

Then, I'm sorry, because it's the opposite reality.

I is not where you are coming from that matters, rather it is where you are going. Don't be small, it is neither cute or becoming.

Last edited by a moderator:

Iconoclysm

macrumors 68040
May 13, 2010
Washington, DC
let me put it this way, if you know Apple product, you know Telsa.

It's not selling as many cars as other manufactures, but it doesn't mean it's not well-known. get your head out of the sand

Apple is now the world's strongest brand, you couldn't be further from reality. They're bigger than Coca-Cola and McDonald's if that gives you an idea.

Tcasey

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2013
Oh, I see what you were doing. But I am not sure you see what you did. You linked brand (perception in the consumer market - not stock market) to economics and proceeded to harp about their economics only. It doesn't work that way. Amazon doesn't have the greatest economics but they are one of the top brands in the world. You can't take an argument on one subject and apply it to another.

Tesla unknown? Whaaaa? On what planet is Tesla unknown?

Honestly a company that has a market value of 40 Billion and was rated best car for safety...and with elon musk as ceo is not UNKNOWN.

The company is a serious threat to the car industry because it has it all...once it can offer you a car for 35k and offer free energy its going to a huge battle for the mainstream car co.

Look at there progress in the space industry....its beyond difficult and there about to change it in a big way with reusable rockets.

Expect the space over time with the car industry and transportion industry in general.

nando87

Cancelled
Jun 25, 2014
Honestly a company that has a market value of 40 Billion and was rated best car for safety...and with elon musk as ceo is not UNKNOWN.

The company is a serious threat to the car industry because it has it all...once it can offer you a car for 35k and offer free energy its going to a huge battle for the mainstream car co.

Look at there progress in the space industry....its beyond difficult and there about to change it in a big way with reusable rockets.

Expect the space over time with the car industry and transportion industry in general.

Gilead Sciences has a market cap of 150 billions and I'm sure (well, now I'm not sure about anything anymore) that quite nobody here knows what they do, and like that company, hundreds. The same that to you, who are probably a geek, no offense, Elon Musk is a famous person but you don't know who Emilio Botin was and he was far more important (financial and stock market wise). What you need to remember is that not everybody is a geek internet-blog-forum reader or aficionado, or, what it's the same, that something being very important or interesting to you doesn't make it mainstream or well known.

Tcasey

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2013
hahaha, please keep this coming. Complete surrealism.

if you consider the concept is similar in form or size with this

then, i'm sorry, because it's the opposite reality.

give it up ..you lost by 100 to 1.

Macsterguy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2007
Texas
Jobs - "Do you want..."

Jobs - "Do you want to make sugar water or, change the world"...
Musk - " Do you want to change the world or, Go to Mars"...

Musk is the new Jobs... Wouldn't it be fun to drink a beer with these guys :cool:

nando87

Cancelled
Jun 25, 2014
I remember seeing the first Apple stock come across my desk while working at Merrill Lynch in 1980. $10K purchase would about $1.3M today. AT&T, IT&T, IBM, Kodak, Xerox and Microsoft was still a dream. Do you really think that Apple will see the rate of growth that Tesla will. Maybe you are frustrated because you missed the ground floor?

I don't buy bubble purely speculative stocks (TSLA), I just buy good both growth and value companies when cheap, super leveraged

Marley Chil

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2015
It would be better for Apple to create an electric car than a watch.

Apple is about to start doing that. Apple, Google and a couple other companies are about to compete over the emerging driverless autonomous vehicle market.

mrtravel123

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2007
$250,000 signing bonus.

Well, that should cover the security deposit for getting an apartment in that area.

twigman08

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2012
My parents know what Tesla is.

I have friends throughout europe and asia who know what Tesla is.

I think it's time you give up this "rant."

I will tell you this: Tesla is not a "well known" brand. I have pretty much proved that myself.

I'm a Computer Science major and I have gone and given some talks to get more people into Computer Science, and I used Tesla and all its software components as an example. Out of all the talks I have done I can count on one hand how many people have actually heard of Tesla in the crowd. I can just say "And then their is Tesla..." and you can just see the blank stares from everyone wondering what that is. Ask the question how many have heard of it. 99% of the crowd doesn't do a thing. Tesla is not a major well known brand.

We put 3-4 random car manufactures on the street. Lets say: Ferrari, BMW, Lamborghini, and Tesla. Which one will people say they first recognized? I would almost guarantee it would not be Tesla.

JPSaltzman

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2011
See, Apple? You were stupid -- S T U P I D -- to get rid of the 17" MacBook Pro. Whether it's the market for graphic professionals or a futuristic car, you really blew it on this decision.

But, no, you'll never admit that. Never.

Marley Chil

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2015
I don't buy bubble purely speculative stocks (TSLA), I just buy good both growth and value companies when cheap, super leveraged

All stocks are speculative stocks. Remember Enron bought at $.25 sold it in less than a week $.48 This was once a growth stock.

ann713

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2008
California
Seriously? Do you think the world ends in Alaska or what? So you're saying me that if we select random people from all over the world, both sex and all the age ranges, Tesla will be a commonly recognized and positively considered brand? You have to be joking. Do your mothers even know what Tesla is or recognize its emblem?

Strongest car brands, by the way: Ferrari and Mercedes-Benz. Partly because they are WIDELY known. Tesla is not even between the top 20 best known brands, which is a requisite (to be known, obviously). That's why it's called "niche"

So true, I consider myself "in the know" but admittedly I didn't know about Telsa until a couple of years ago.

wovel

macrumors 68000
Mar 15, 2010
America(s)!
No, Apple is a very good and very strong brand, maybe the best. Tesla is a niche+vaporware quite unknown brand.

Apple has infinitely more money, expertise and power. If Tesla thinks they are winning at something, is because Apple wants it that way, or simply doesn't care.

Let's be realistic.

You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but it is clear you don't know what vaporware means...

wovel

macrumors 68000
Mar 15, 2010
America(s)!
I will tell you this: Tesla is not a "well known" brand. I have pretty much proved that myself.

I'm a Computer Science major and I have gone and given some talks to get more people into Computer Science, and I used Tesla and all its software components as an example. Out of all the talks I have done I can count on one hand how many people have actually heard of Tesla in the crowd. I can just say "And then their is Tesla..." and you can just see the blank stares from everyone wondering what that is. Ask the question how many have heard of it. 99% of the crowd doesn't do a thing. Tesla is not a major well known brand.

We put 3-4 random car manufactures on the street. Lets say: Ferrari, BMW, Lamborghini, and Tesla. Which one will people say they first recognized? I would almost guarantee it would not be Tesla.

Actually I imagine Tesla would come in second after BMW. Most people could not tell a Ferrari from a Lamborghini if they could not see the hood ornament.

----------

Depends what latitude your on. Further south it ends at Hawaii. Seriously though. Just because the rest of the world is slow does not mean we have to pretend something that is well known isn't.

----------

The Marussia B2 and the Tesla model 3 are good'ol'vaporware :D At least, for now

As are nearly ever model of car ever publicly presented by Ford, GM, Mercedes, BMW, Toyota, Nissan, etc...

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
Tesla is not unknown, where did you even get that from? Tesla have had enormous media exposure around the globe, everyone i know know what a Tesla car is, most other people around the globe to.

Just because they sell a small quantity of cars compared to bigger brand doesnt mean that they are unknown.

Agreed. I know a Tesla when I see one, and there is quite a few in the Salt Lake valley.

wovel

macrumors 68000
Mar 15, 2010
America(s)!
Hahaha, please keep this coming. Complete surrealism.

If you consider the concept is similar in form or size with this

Then, I'm sorry but you're stupid, because it's the opposite reality.

If you polled the entire planet of people that can read "English", more people would identify the Tesla logo than either of the other two.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.