Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Xenomorph

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2008
St. Louis
Damn, one-to-one replacement has always been a plus point for iPhones for me.

They've handed me refurbished phones in nearly worse condition than I brought mine in.

My iPhone 3GS (purchased at release), had a tiny crack by the mute switch. It was in otherwise PERFECT condition. I was told that it may have been a manufacturing defect, so I brought it into the Apple store.

I took it to the Genius bar, showed them the crack, and they said they would replace it. This is what they handed me:

iPhone 3GS, uneven/sunken-in screen.

It would literally scratch my face due to a sharp edge. Not sure if this was a manufacturing defect, or an improperly-replaced screen.

I eventually got fed up and took it back in. This is the next one that gave me:

iPhone 3GS, stiff, "mushy" Home button (no click when pressed), and scratches and scuffs on the chrome bezel. It had obviously been dropped on a sidewalk or something.

I complained, and asked for another one. They told me some crap like "they all probably have something wrong with them".

Having the device replaced completely meant you just ended up with someone else's old crap. Maybe they dropped it, maybe their cat peed on it, or they did something else even more weird with it. There isn't any way of knowing. Apple just slaps a new screen on it and gives it to the next poor sap that takes their phone in for service. I've seen people SWEAR that Apple doesn't give out used/refurbished device, with I know that is absolutely not true. Someone brings in a broken device, they fix it up and give it to someone else.

I try to keep my devices in great condition. I got the iPhone 4S at release, and it's still in MINT condition. If something was wrong with it, I'd want that specific piece replaced, NOT the whole device.

Last edited by a moderator:

thegrants82

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2013
Right here
I have had every iPhone since the beginning. Tried out the Moto X and loved it but came back to Apple because of customer service and AppleCare+. If Apple slacks on customer service then they are going to lose a lot of long time customers. The writing on the wall is putting apple on track with going in the same direction as Microsoft and BlackBerry. I really am starting to wonder what it's going to be like in 5 years. The Moto X has already shown that Google is more than capable of surpassing Apple if they start getting cheap. Everything has been going down hill since Apple lost Jobs. I really wonder if it's already too late for Apple to get back on track. Motorola (Google) has a HUGE opportunity RIGHT NOW. I hope that they succeed.

ed724

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2009
Not for most iphone 5/5S. Most people aren't capable of replacing the glass only. They can only replace the entire display. Most iphone 5 screen assemblies cost $80-100 plus installation. 5s screens cost around 250 at the moment. Again plus installation.

Also, all repair places use aftermarket,inferior, parts. And void your warranty.

For the screen, there is no "aftermarket" part. The parts all come from supply hacks at the factory where the components are made in or delivered to China. However, that's not to say it wont be a part that was rejected on the factory floor for one reason or another.

todd2000

macrumors 68000
Nov 14, 2005
Danville, VA
I dont think you understand how this works. That would use one of your $79 replacements for accidental damage. Dunking your phone in water is not a warranty issue.

Lots of people seemed to be confused by the hybrid nature of AC+ which does two separate things. 1) It extends the warranty 2) it acts as insurance. 1) is unlimited replacements in the timeframe and 2) is limited to two replacements with a deductible per incident.

Add me to the people that are confused....

Let me see if I get this right

1. If the phone breaks from a defect that isn't my fault anytime in 2 years, I get a free replacement, and it does not count as one of my two incidents.

2. If I break any part that is replaceable they will fix it, and I just have to pay the fee (IE $79 for a screen replacement), this does not count toward one of my two incidents.

3. If I break the phone beyond repair and it needs to be replaced I have to pay $79, and they will replace it? I can only do this twice?

Does this sound right.... In that case paying the same price for a screen repair as a replacement phone does seem a bit strange...

slu

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2004
Buffalo
What good is Apple Care+ if you still have to pay to replace the component most likely to break, the screen? What a rip off.

celo48

macrumors 6502a
Apr 9, 2010
Part replacements due to defects will be free if the device is under AppleCare warranty. However, devices not under an AppleCare warranty plan there will have repair fees specific to each part, such as a $29 surcharge for a Home button replacement on the iPhone 5c.

I am confused by the above. So, if your phone is under the original warranty, you will be charged a fee? Hmmmm, that does not make sense.

slu

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2004
Buffalo
I really wish there was a feature on Macrumors that automatically hid any post that said anything along the lines of "This wouldn't happen if Jobs was still around." Jesus peope, let it go. You have no way of knowing what would have happended and the guy has been gone over two years.

Diaz72

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2012
Sorry if these are stupid questions, but if I have ac+ and crack my screen:

1) does this count towards my two repairs?

2) since I have ac+ and still have to pay $79 for the screen replacement, that brings the total to $179 as opposed to $150,correct?

3) if I do crack my screen can I get a replacement device to get rid of the dents etc from a drop under ac+? Instead of just a new screen?

Thanks.

I used to work for Apple. So knowing them,
1. Yes
2. Yes
3. No. If you want a full phone replacement, dunk it in water. They will do whatever they can to not replace the phone.

I just had a problem like that recently with my phone. Screen was cracked and I told them that instead of just replacing the screen that I wanted to replace the phone. They told me that the only way that I could get a replacement is if the phone was water damaged or if they were unable to replace the screen due to bends in the frame. I was lucky that my phone was bent, and that I actually kinda knew the person (though I don't think that really made a difference) and I got a replacement. Long gone are the days where they are able to "surprise and delight" customers by giving a free replacement or a replacement without counting one of two replacements. Management is so far up their ass and they can get easily fired for hooking anyone up like that. I hate that the retail side is going to ****. That's why I left. Anyways to reiterate

Water damage = replacement!

----------

Add me to the people that are confused....

Let me see if I get this right

1. If the phone breaks from a defect that isn't my fault anytime in 2 years, I get a free replacement, and it does not count as one of my two incidents.

2. If I break any part that is replaceable they will fix it, and I just have to pay the fee (IE $79 for a screen replacement), this does not count toward one of my two incidents.

3. If I break the phone beyond repair and it needs to be replaced I have to pay $79, and they will replace it? I can only do this twice?

Does this sound right.... In that case paying the same price for a screen repair as a replacement phone does seem a bit strange...

If you break the screen and pay the $79 that counts as a replacement. And yes you can only do that twice. If you didn't want it to count toward your apple care, you are gonna pay $129 for the glass or $240 or something for a full phone replacement. As I said in my last post, if you want a full phone replacement through AppleCare + just dunk it in water!

theBB

macrumors 68020
Jan 3, 2006
To me Apple is losing its greatest edge over competitors - easy, no question asked replacement if anything goes wrong for your phone. I once had an iPhone 5 with a stuck power button, and I got a replacement phone in a few minutes, with a brand new casing and battery as a bonus. This is one of the biggest factors for me to stay with Apple for most of my electronics purchases. Tim Cook seems to concern more with the money part, as shown in one greatest example: his hiring of John Brewett, who solely aimed at cutting costs for Apple Stores and of course it failed. I truly miss the Steve Jobs era.
You realize you got somebody else's returned phone after it was repaired offsite, so what you got was not a really brand new phone, don't you? :)

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
You realize you got somebody else's returned phone after it was repaired offsite, so what you got was not a really brand new phone, don't you? :)

That's why I said "brand new casing and battery" I know the phone itself was refurbished :)

theBB

macrumors 68020
Jan 3, 2006
For the screen, there is no "aftermarket" part. The parts all come from supply hacks at the factory where the components are made in or delivered to China.
You are mistaken. I had my phone screen replaced at a cheap repair place to save money. The screen was clearly a knock-off. Slightly thicker and much more reflective, all I see is bright grey if slight sunshine falls on it. Apple charges quite a bit of money for its parts, but the difference is very noticeable. The only question is whether the difference in quality is worth the price difference for you.

theBB

macrumors 68020
Jan 3, 2006
That's why I said "brand new casing and battery" I know the phone itself was refurbished :)
Do they really put a brand new battery in replacement units or a battery that is in "good condition"?

Jburnette87

macrumors member
Mar 18, 2012
Mobile,AL
For the screen, there is no "aftermarket" part. The parts all come from supply hacks at the factory where the components are made in or delivered to China. However, that's not to say it wont be a part that was rejected on the factory floor for one reason or another.

I work on phones for a living.The screens at the mall or where ever aren't oem quality.The glass isn't the same thickness, the shading is off (white screens),home button cutout is larger than it should be, no oleo phobic coating usually, etc.

There are also stamps and labels on the parts themselves. None of them match an oem part. Additionally, I can tell you each and every one that is in fact an aftermarket,knockoff, part by. It's quite easy to spot side by side. :)

It's not close to what comes on the phone originally in terms of quality.

Last edited:

eyehop

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2005
I've availed myself of two screen replacements on the same phone, oy veh! :eek: They say you can buy protective covers but I'm hopelessly addicted to smooth and sleek pocket insertion.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
According to the findings the sensor does not work at all when paired with another A7. That was my understanding at least.

Apple is able to put a blank sensor on and repair it. Much like they put in a blank logicboard and reset the serial number.

thegrants82

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2013
Right here
I really wish there was a feature on Macrumors that automatically hid any post that said anything along the lines of "This wouldn't happen if Jobs was still around." Jesus peope, let it go. You have no way of knowing what would have happended and the guy has been gone over two years.

It wouldn't have happened if Jobs was still around and if Jobs was still around they wouldn't have released an unfinished OS.....and for that matter the 5C. Long time to build Apple up and a short time to break it down. It is what it is but it's a fact. Sad. I love my 5S even though it's the 5th one since Sept 20th but the day that I take it in and have a so called "genius" rip it apart instead of hand me a new one is the day that I leave.

RMo

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2007
Iowa, USA
Also, all repair places use aftermarket,inferior, parts. And void your warranty.

Not true. AASPs (which exist outside of Apple Stores, by the way) obviously use OEM parts, but may third-party repair places try to as well. But you're right: outside of AASPs, these can be difficult to obtain, and some are, in fact, of lower quality. I can't stand most third-party iPad digitizers, for example. Apple's prices here actually seem kind of reasonable to me in comparison with quality third-party repair places.

phildelafunk

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2013
Sorry if these are stupid questions, but if I have ac+ and crack my screen:

1) does this count towards my two repairs?

2) since I have ac+ and still have to pay $79 for the screen replacement, that brings the total to $179 as opposed to $150,correct?

3) if I do crack my screen can I get a replacement device to get rid of the dents etc from a drop under ac+? Instead of just a new screen?

Thanks.

1) Yes
2) Yes
3) No, Screen has to be replaced. But if the bezel around the phone is too badly dented in, then the screen can not be replaced. Then they offer a full device replacement for the AC+ $79 service fee or non-AC+ $269.

----------

Do they really put a brand new battery in replacement units or a battery that is in "good condition"?

Yea batteries become depleted over time, it would be wrong for them to install used batteries. Plus ever iPhone calibrates almost every part inside to its own specs (Batteries, Display, Accelerometers, Etc), there for putting a battery that was used in an other device would cause unexpected results ( such as short run times and poor battery life span)

steelecan

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2010
$150 for a display replacement? :eek: LOL!

Go to any mall, look for the iPhone repair cart and fork over $50. No lines. Takes 2 minutes.

Those are for the iPhone 4/4s! Go to any mall and ask about the iPhone 5/5s and its $140-160! I've checked everywhere. Can't believe it's that much of a difference between the phones.

GodWhomIsMike

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2007
I have had every iPhone since the beginning. Tried out the Moto X and loved it but came back to Apple because of customer service and AppleCare+. If Apple slacks on customer service then they are going to lose a lot of long time customers. The writing on the wall is putting apple on track with going in the same direction as Microsoft and BlackBerry. I really am starting to wonder what it's going to be like in 5 years. The Moto X has already shown that Google is more than capable of surpassing Apple if they start getting cheap. Everything has been going down hill since Apple lost Jobs. I really wonder if it's already too late for Apple to get back on track. Motorola (Google) has a HUGE opportunity RIGHT NOW. I hope that they succeed.

I came so so close to getting a Moto X. There were two factors that kept me from getting it. First, was the camera quality (even post-update), and second was there was no 64GB or expandable memory option.

I got a 64GB iPhone 5S. I honestly wasn't overly excited to get this phone, but I wanted storage capacity and a good camera. At this point in time, this was my only option. Google is almost almost there, very close now to the iPhone. Let me say, the bare Android OS the Moto X and Nexus series use is far superior to the clunky Samsung experience with all of the crap they build into it.

I actually preferred many things on the Moto X over the iPhone 5S, but those two factors made me get the iPhone. Had they put in an SDcard slot or a 64GB option, and had a better camera, I could have been using a Moto X right now, and not the iPhone 5S.

slu

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2004
Buffalo
It wouldn't have happened if Jobs was still around and if Jobs was still around they wouldn't have released an unfinished OS.....and for that matter the 5C. Long time to build Apple up and a short time to break it down. It is what it is but it's a fact. Sad. I love my 5S even though it's the 5th one since Sept 20th but the day that I take it in and have a so called "genius" rip it apart instead of hand me a new one is the day that I leave.

Exhibit A as to why we need the "Jobs wouldn't have allowed this" filter. Thanks for proving my exact point. Unless this is satire. Either way, well done.

marcosscriven

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2006
Long gone are the days where they are able to "surprise and delight" customers by giving a free replacement or a replacement without counting one of two replacements.

Interesting you mention that specific phrase "surprise and delight"

That's the exact wording they used when they fixed a MacBook Pro I dropped shortly after buying. They took pity on me and did it completely free - the particular Genius in question said he appreciated my honesty.

Anyway, it is a shame if they move away from that kind of service, especially if they can see on their system you've had loads of Apple products over the years.

melendezest

Suspended
Jan 28, 2010
Golden rule - check consumer laws for your country or region. In EU/UK damage is not covered but defects are. The UK Sale of Goods Act has an expectation that products should be sufficiently durable. Apple have responded to this http://www.apple.com/uk/legal/statutory-warranty/.

It is sad that because laws are different in each country Apple is forcing U.S. (and other) customers to pay for some things.

I understand that they're "playing the game" as the laws allow, but I feel it's somewhat unethical that their customer service policies aren't consistent across the board.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.