Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mccldwll

macrumors 65816
Jan 26, 2006
The only rational response to this story is to tell everyone you know that they should NOT buy an iPhone 5 because a new one is coming out soon.

Which is the reason why Samsuck or various stock manipulators start rumors like this.

buddybd

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2011
No matter what the 5S actually is though? :)

'S' line of the phones have always been a spec bump of it's older phone. So if that trend is still followed then 2 year cycles for one 'design' of a phone will do more harm than good.

People get tired of their phones a lot faster than they used to, considering that Android has improved it's software vastly and there's always a new phone coming out, it's time Apple did something to match that pace as well. I've been using iPhones since the first one, but honestly if the next one (next october) is just a 5S and iOS7 doesn't have drastic changes, then I'm going droid.

tiptopp

macrumors regular
Aug 15, 2008
Norwich, UK
For me (and I imagine a lot of UK users) the need to switch carrier (to EE) in order to benefit from the much vaunted 4G made the iPhone 5 far less compelling than it should be. And I really wanted the 5. If the 5S has the frequencies that the majority of UK carriers will be using for 4G then it can't come soon enough! I don't mind waiting for 4G coverage but I'm not going to spend money on a phone who's key feature I may never be able to use.

There's also the resale issue: The original iPhone 5 will never be of any use to Vodafone, O2 and their various virtual carriers' (Virgin, GiffGaff, Tesco etc) customers, so will have a lower resale value.

I thought hard about switching from Vodafone to EE for my iP5, because of 4G. But they haven't announced when we'll get coverage (Norwich) and to be honest, talking to people who seem to understand about this, the frequencies that will be auctioned off next year are much better than EE's (speed and building-penetration). So I stayed with Vodafone. Thankfully, they've announced a 'promise' that, when they have 4G they'll release you from contract with a 70% discount, take back your phone and get you onto a new 4G tariff with new phone. If this comes to fruition I'll be very happy - especially if the 'new' iP5 can use the 'new' 4G in the UK.

Cheers,

Tiptopp

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
This this this AND this.

The most annoying part about a lot of fanboys (which is a title I include myself in) is that some act so entitled, so deserving, so... OWED, that anything Apple does short of a magical product that makes them money in 6 months (so they can upgrade for free and show their friends) is a disaster worth decrying the company they "love" everywhere they can post.

If Apple could fabricate a new phone every month it'd be AWESOME. It'd be worth it just to see the "how can I scam my carrier for an early upgrade because I can't be bothered to honor a contract I signed?" threads.

If you want something, buy it. If you don't, don't.

If you can't afford to keep up, get a better job or don't have the "latest and greatest". Believe it or not, Apple doesn't owe you that.

I hope this is true. I'm glad I'm a 1%'er! Makes life AWESOME (and anyone can join me with a little hard work). You can always have the latest and greatest if you can afford it :).

If you can't, make some changes. It's no ones fault but yours.

Well said.

robogobo

Suspended
Jun 6, 2005
Sitting down facing front.
:confused:

Why do you need to "throw away" your 3rd-gen iPad or iPhone 5? My 3rd gen iPad works just fine and uses the same CPU that's in the brand new iPad mini, so it will be supported for a while.

Do you buy a new car every year?

Some people do. That's an interesting idea- iPhone/iPad leasing. Apple and The carriers should try this, with a $20 premium monthly added to the bill, you can upgrade a every year as long as your phone is still functional. Since Apple is selling the last-year model as the low end, they can just cycle the parts back into production. Everyone's happy.

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
And when I say south, I mean Australia. I prefer the move to the fall as actually that is the spring and spring is the time of new life and perfect for the launch af a new iPhone. Sorry to say, but your summer theory is actually the winter theory so it must be debunked :)

Ya flamin' Aussies!! ;)

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
I don't think you can read a January launch into this, even if u are interpret it at face value.

arn

Few people expected a the iPad 4th gen to be released so soon. So anything is possible. I agree phones are different cause people like to upgrade at the end of plans but no one apart from Apple knows what their plans for the 5s are.

That is assuming the next iPhone is the 5s.

mex4eric

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2009
Ottawa, Canada
Apple should upgrade their products whenever they think they have improvements that are ready technically. I still have an unlocked 4S and love it with no need to upgrade to a 5 or a 5S unless some compelling new feature arises. Maybe Jony Ive will introduce new UI software that the 4S won't have enough horsepower to run, but I doubt that. It will be an iOS upgrade that just runs fine on the 4S. If not, I'll upgrade the phone.

2crazy

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2012
Saint Louis
I think Apple's predictable 1 year release cycles have become a big issue. Shorter and more irregular release cycles put much more pressure on the competition. I don't understand why people are complaining. I think the most sensible thing to do is to set yourself your personal update cycle. Let's say every 1 or 2 years... For me it's 2 years for Mac's and 1 year for iPad/iPhone. I don't care that there is an iPad 4, because my iPad 3 works as well as it did when I bought it in March.

Asclepio

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2011
it have wi fi issue, scratch problem, volume problems, screen and scroll problems, it's time to change. why people are so mad about it? i'm glad apple is already working to make a better product.

Belly-laughs

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2003
you wish
hardware wise i don't think most consumers care about specs, more important is the fact that the phone stays "visually valid" within the contract period, which apple manages admirably.

apple's main weapon against the hw craze in the cell business is ios. in fact, the iphone is mostly about the os. also, iphone users are good at upgrading compared to android. keep ios on an increased cycle, make it better faster, to the next level all the time. and every time people will have "new" phones – added value. people care about new software functions and ease of use, not cores and bus speeds.

Last edited:

Mr. Dee

macrumors 603
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
Really glad I'm holding out

Won't be making my first Apple purchases until winter 2013, so I will definitely be getting the best bang for my buck.

JayJayAbels

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2012
Absolute... nonsense.

Of course the iTV is coming next year but everything else is garbage.

C'mon guys use some critical thought here.

donrsd

macrumors 6502
Dec 16, 2011
South Florida
How are small screens killing Apple exactly? I mean its not like you can just walk into any store and pick up an iPhone 5. Apple online store still showing 3-4 weeks for shipping.

Personally I don't want a huge phone. That's what tablets are for. I can't imagine I'm the only out there who doesn't care for a 4.5-4.8 phone.

Look how Samsung has 2 models out
Note & Galaxy.

Why cant Apple do the same with the iPhone?

Make a nice 4.8" model & the tiny 4" model.

I currently have an iPhone 5, and the screen is still too small.

Sure we talk on it, but the cell phone has turned more into a portable computer.

The NOTE is a touch too big.
4.8", 16:9 screen is perfect.

aliensporebomb

macrumors 68000
Jun 19, 2005
Minneapolis, MN, USA, Urth
Grumble

It's not like 3-4 years ago, now the competition is forcing Apple to accelerate its products timeline. Apple can not wait a full year to release an iPhone "S", so I think that a good timeline could be to launch the "S" version of the iPhone after six months, in order to launch a brand new iPhone every 12 months.

However, NOTHING at all has changed in terms of carriers: american cell phone companies still force you to a two year contract.

So the phones come more frequently but the contracts stay the same. Something has to change.

SilentLoner

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2007
i'm not one of those people who gets annoyed when macbooks are updated often etc, it is what it is but the settling thing about iPhones is the predictability in the upgrade cycle it makes contract renewals easier to manage and the rest just follows you know? If this turns out to be true it would be the straw that broke the camels back for me.

goinskiing

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2008
Meridian, ID
I think apples goal is to switch the iPhone and iPad release dates.

iPhone over summer and during WWDC, and iPad just in time for school and early fall.

This seems logical to me. Moving the iPhone back to summer makes sense and also gives credence to the fall release to iPad.

TMay

macrumors 68000
Dec 24, 2001
Carson City, NV
I honestly don't think this will hurt Apple. The iPhone is extremely profitable, if you've ever looked at the profit margins that MacRumors reports. Even though android sells more phones than Apple, Apple makes more money because their phone has a much higher profit margin. So even if the processor price goes up by 20%, Apple will still make a killing.

There was a number bandied about that the A5 or A5X was $25, so maybe Apple is looking at a a $5 change in price on the processor on the high side. They'll live.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.