Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lPHONE

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2009
Seriously, this would be my favorite merger/buyout that's happened in the computer industry ever. Apple buys ARM, and everyone else either pays thru the nose or is forced to use crummy Atom chips.

Oh yea, and then our iPhone bills go up...
Then there's no competitive innovations and we're stuck with the iPhone 4G for the next 20 years...

sounds real cool. :cool:

skn

macrumors member
Mar 25, 2010
Dude...dictionary.com. Go read what a monopoly is and then realize how silly your statement is. Some of us older cats that grew up with Ma Bell know what a real monopoly looks like.

Whether the iPhone is closed or open a determining factor of its monopoly status. Using your logic the Playstation, the Xbox 360 and the Nintendo Wii are all monopolies. We know this isn't true.
You are right... I think the proper word is evil! Yeah... Much better know! Thank you! :D

sorchard

macrumors regular
Dec 22, 2007
Apple shouldn't have sold it off in the first place, however they wouldn't have survived throughout their troubled times in the mid 90s if they hadnt.

I don't know if anyone else has said this (and I am not doing to dredge through pages to find out), but Apple didn't "sell" ARM.

ARM = Acorn RISC Machine. It was developed by the little-known Acorn (who, if you think about it were a bit ahead of the curve back then) who wanted a new processor to power their machines. It was spun off into its own business when Apple got involved, and I believe they took a shareholding. But they didn't wholly own it.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
Valued at ~$71 billion.

Are there any Japanese tech companies owned by foreigners?

I still don't understand the fascination with Nintendo being brought by Apple. Nintendo doesn't do yearly updates of hardware like Apple...

ddrueckhammer

macrumors 65816
Aug 8, 2004
America's Wang
You are right... I think the proper word is evil! Yeah... Much better know! Thank you! :D

Man. I guess making great products that people want is pure evil.

Other corporations that have the "one less olive" approach to business and make mediocre products and spend their time maximizing profits by constantly laying off workers and restructuring are much less evil?

Or are you one of those that believe that all corporations are evil? In which case, the solution is simple. Don't support them by not purchasing their goods.

daxomni

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2009
Who are the morons that think this is NEGATIVE!??
Consumers? Anybody who's not an Apple fanatic?

Sometimes I wonder if blindly loyal Apple fans will eventually become the biggest detriment to the brand. Microsoft fanboys are also annoying to me, but at least they're generally lacking the hypocrisy of first supporting David before bending over backward to support the Goliath he eventually became. Apple is quickly becoming today's Microsoft and you're still supporting them like nothing has changed. Never thought I'd see that happen, but then again maybe I still have too much faith in my fellow humans. All I know is that the more the fans praise every potentially anti-competitive move the more convinced I am that Apple has gotten too big already. I ended any future purchases of theirs once they started their own frivolous lawsuits as that was the final straw.

gimpymw

macrumors newbie
Apr 8, 2009
Oh yea, and then our iPhone bills go up...
Then there's no competitive innovations and we're stuck with the iPhone 4G for the next 20 years...

sounds real cool. :cool:

None of that make sense.

Apple doesn't control what you get charged to use your iPhone. Your carrier determines that.

And, Apple's modus operandi does not suggest that you'd be stuck with an iPhone 4G for the next 20 years. If you use their home computers as an example you'd know that Apple refreshes the hardware and brings out new OS versions on a regular basis. That trend has also been seen in their iPhone product. I don't see why it would change.

What you're saying doesn't sound cool because it's just not correct.

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
I don't know if anyone else has said this (and I am not doing to dredge through pages to find out), but Apple didn't "sell" ARM.

ARM = Acorn RISC Machine. It was developed by the little-known Acorn (who, if you think about it were a bit ahead of the curve back then) who wanted a new processor to power their machines. It was spun off into its own business when Apple got involved, and I believe they took a shareholding. But they didn't wholly own it.

I believe they had the same % ownership as Acorn. Something like 40% each.

iigsie

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2007
In November 1990 the advanced research and development team of Acorn Computers Ltd was spun out to form the independent company, Advanced RISC Machines Limited (ARM), to design, license and market fast, inexpensive and efficient RISC processors and other enabling technology. Acorn Group and Apple Computer Inc each maintain a 43% shareholding in ARM. Acorn uses ARM chips in a wide range of products including desktops and set-top boxes. Apple utilises ARM processors in its Newton family of personal digital assistants (PDAs).

In 1999 apple sold 2 million of the 9.2 million shares it owned at the time, reducing it's investment of ARM to 14.8%

http://news.cnet.com/Short-Take-Apple-sells-ARM-shares/2110-1001_3-221149.html

Did they sell any more at a later date?

gimpymw

macrumors newbie
Apr 8, 2009

"Thinking big" and saying "8 Billion doesn't mean anything to Apple" are not the same thing. Since S. Jobs is in a such a gabby mood these days why don't you email him and ask him if 8 Billion dollars means much to him. Then you can post his response here and if he says something like "Yeah, 8 Billion is nothing. I use it to wipe my ass with." then you can say "Really!" and that's without a question mark.

skn

macrumors member
Mar 25, 2010
"Thinking big" and saying "8 Billion doesn't mean anything to Apple" are not the same thing. Since S. Jobs is in a such a gabby mood these days why don't you email him and ask him if 8 Billion dollars means much to him. Then you can post his response here and if he says something like "Yeah, 8 Billion is nothing. I use it to wipe my ass with." then you can say "Really!" and that's without a question mark.
I would never get such answer from him. There are so many words... :D
Possible answers are yes, no or not to worry... :p

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Consumers? Anybody who's not an Apple fanatic?

Sometimes I wonder if blindly loyal Apple fans will eventually become the biggest detriment to the brand. Microsoft fanboys are also annoying to me, but at least they're generally lacking the hypocrisy of first supporting David before bending over backward to support the Goliath he eventually became. Apple is quickly becoming today's Microsoft and you're still supporting them like nothing has changed. Never thought I'd see that happen, but then again maybe I still have too much faith in my fellow humans. All I know is that the more the fans praise every potentially anti-competitive move the more convinced I am that Apple has gotten too big already. I ended any future purchases of theirs once they started their own frivolous lawsuits as that was the final straw.

Sorry but ARM is primarily a consumer brand! You obviously are not aware of their business and how VERY concentrated on the consumer space their technology's are.

Name me 20 smartphones in the past 5yrs ... I can gaurantee that at least half of them are made with technology based on ARM cpu reference design; unless you concentrate ONLY on RIM BlackBerry's or HTC WinMobile phones.

krye

macrumors 68000
Aug 21, 2007
USA
Can you say "Monopoly"?

This would be bad for tons of people for tons of reasons.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.