Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blybug

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2003
Galveston, TX
Thats the thing, if people see there is wifi syncing but only for small items it unfairly gets labeled "crippled" because people would expect it to be a viable alternative to regular syncing.

In short: Apple won't implement it until it can FULLY replace regular syncing.

We've already graduated from tethered syncing of calendars, email, and contacts to over-the-air by MobileMe with a simple checkbox...why not music and photo syncing on local WiFi? All it would take is a checkbox on those tabs in iTunes "Allow Wifi Syncing". Don't put the tab on Movies & TV. People aren't completely stupid.

blackpond

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2008
Really? Well your idea of Wifi syncing shows how short-sighted YOU are.

Like most people, when considering a feature, you consider how it would benefit YOU, and then leave the rest of the details to Apple. Doesn't matter if the very core of your idea has a problem, it creates a solution for you and is therefor a worthwhile feautre, in fact a "missing" feature, one that you feel Apple continues to wrong people with by not including.

The fact remains that WiFI syncing could not be implemented in a way Apple would be satisfied with.

1. It would be SLOW ( the very idea of a new feature with SLOWER syncing is completely backwards. We need FASTER syncing of content)

2. It would be unstable (you can just imagine the people who drag a playlist of 10 gigs of music and video, a nice small amount, and then begin walking around the house with iPhone, watching the screen with no idea of progress, wondering why its not done yet.)

3. Its inconvenient (the only purpose of WiFi sycning vs. simple usb connection is "convenience" of no wires. Well, when speed and stability are both compromised, all convenience has long since been lost).

4. Would require an entirely new app for managing your content from the iPhone. (Tell me, with this new "feature" would you have to sit down at your computer anyway and drag and drop content? And this is MORE convenient than had you done the same the thing, just with a connected iPhone......)

5. WiFi is a restriction not a feature. (So in this hectic lifestyle you have where you'd be searching all over for your iPhone cable, you'd have to assure both devices were simultaneously connected to WiFi BEFORE thinking about your sync. Fine at home. What about not at home? On the road, out to lunch, out working somewhere, etc...by the time you figure this out you could have plugged in the damn phone).

Next you'll tell me we need wireless charging as well.

I'm sorry but I really despise nay sayers like yourself. Apple wouldn't even exist if they had your attitude. And the world would still be flat.

And what about Apple TV? It -streams- movies in real-time over Wifi. This is one of it's greatest features.

Stop ripping up other folks' brain storming sessions and go back to your hole if you can't imagine a world better than the one you live in and can understand.

:eek:

branjosef

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2007
It would be nice if the new OS has some customization to it. I saw the reference to Springboard app. That is the whole reason why I jailbreak. I would be nice to customize a bit.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
Really? Well your idea of Wifi syncing shows how short-sighted YOU are.

Like most people, when considering a feature, you consider how it would benefit YOU, and then leave the rest of the details to Apple. Doesn't matter if the very core of your idea has a problem, it creates a solution for you and is therefor a worthwhile feautre, in fact a "missing" feature, one that you feel Apple continues to wrong people with by not including.

The fact remains that WiFI syncing could not be implemented in a way Apple would be satisfied with.

1. It would be SLOW ( the very idea of a new feature with SLOWER syncing is completely backwards. We need FASTER syncing of content)

2. It would be unstable (you can just imagine the people who drag a playlist of 10 gigs of music and video, a nice small amount, and then begin walking around the house with iPhone, watching the screen with no idea of progress, wondering why its not done yet.)

3. Its inconvenient (the only purpose of WiFi sycning vs. simple usb connection is "convenience" of no wires. Well, when speed and stability are both compromised, all convenience has long since been lost).

4. Would require an entirely new app for managing your content from the iPhone. (Tell me, with this new "feature" would you have to sit down at your computer anyway and drag and drop content? And this is MORE convenient than had you done the same the thing, just with a connected iPhone......)

5. WiFi is a restriction not a feature. (So in this hectic lifestyle you have where you'd be searching all over for your iPhone cable, you'd have to assure both devices were simultaneously connected to WiFi BEFORE thinking about your sync. Fine at home. What about not at home? On the road, out to lunch, out working somewhere, etc...by the time you figure this out you could have plugged in the damn phone).

Next you'll tell me we need wireless charging as well.

I sync 160GB's worth of content to my Apple TV over WiFi.

Go figure.

Arnel

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2003
Vancouver, BC
Things I'd like to see in the 3.0 software:

• Spotlight Search. Being able to quickly search for anything on your phone, without having to go into lots of different apps (and hope that each one has a search feature). Applications can include their own Spotlight importers, and maybe even QuickLook generators for previews? Apple already have all this technology on the Mac side, I guess that it's just a case of whether it will use too much CPU time / memory / disk space, all of which are relatively limited on an iPhone.
  • File storage. Being able to store files on the iPhone, and have a simple Finder-style app for selecting them. Right now if I have something like a PDF of a subway map, getting it to the phone in a way that I could always access it is tricky (I could to email it to myself, but I would have to hope it stays buffered if I'm in an area with no signal). A File-Picker API would let you do things like select files for attachments...
  • Push notifications. However they implement this - push notifications, or background processes - some way for apps to alert me to new things (twitters, RSS feeds, IMs, game turns, etc) would be great. Push notifications are great for reducing the toll on the phone, but only really work for apps which are also in control of the servers. If the server is owned by someone else (i.e. you were trying to write an MSN client), then you're out of luck as you aren't going to be able to get it to send push notifications to you.
  • Notifications on the lock screen. Being able to see at a glance what's happened since I last looked at my phone - new tweets, emails, missed calls, etc - grouped by kind.
  • Copy and Paste. I don't actually think it would get used an awful lot, but for those times when you do need it, it's omission right now is infuriating! It looks like it's coming in anyway - hurrah!
  • Quicker switching between apps. Going backwards and forwards between a couple of applications is quite clumsy right now. You have to quit one, find the next app you want to run (which might be on a different page), wait for it to launch, read whatever it was you needed to read, quit that app, find the first app again, launch that... It would be great to have both running side by side, and be able to switch between them quickly. I guess this most likely means multitasking, but perhaps the could just do some form of quick task switching, where they dump out the state of the old app, and then quickly load that back in again when you switch back. Ideally, a quick click on the home button would shrink the screen, and then you'd switch between apps in the way you switch between pages in MobileSafari.
  • Some way of grouping apps on the home screen. Now that we're all buying lots and lots of apps, it's a bit clunky having a flat list of apps spread across several screens. Something similar to stacks could work well - grouping all the games under one icon, for instance. It doesn't even need to be that complicated, with folders within folders within folders... just one level would work really well.
  • Text to speech. It would be incredibly handy, even if it were just to let you know who was calling when a call interrupts some music. The only downside I can see is that the Alex voice in Leopard weighs in at 670Mb, which is a huge chunk of disk space. (They cheated on the shuffle, and got iTunes to pre-record the names of every artist, track, and playlist!)
  • Sync Services. Syncing all sorts of data between iPhone and Desktop versions of apps would be great. This could be done both over the air (via Mobile Me?) or via iTunes when you dock your phone. However, I think that Apple want to avoid adding things that really only work with the Mac - they want the iPhone to be an equal citizen in the Mac and PC worlds.
  • More Mac OS X APIs. A few more Mac OS X APIs could make their way to the iPhone. Core Data would be an important one, especially if they want to make it easy to get data from any apps that already use it.
  • More UI features in the APIs. I'd love to see some API support for things that Apple have used in their apps. For example, the "page curls up to show some settings" thing from the Maps app - that's a really good way of showing and hiding some simple settings which I'd like to see more of.

There's a lot in this list, and I'm also sure that the iPhone OS team are keeping a strict eye on bloat. For each extra chunk of storage space the OS takes up means that there's less room for music, pictures, apps, data, etc. I don't think we'll get everything in!

Neil.
a.k.a. Arnel

branjosef

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2007
I would like to see this in the new software...

Attachments

• iphonepiratebay.jpg
    iphonepiratebay.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 72

olternaut

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2007
Will macrumors post a link for a spoiler free keynote video or something? I won't be at my computer in time for the live event.

devildog820

macrumors member
Sep 29, 2008
Will macrumors post a link for a spoiler free keynote video or something? I won't be at my computer in time for the live event.

You mean a spoiler free link for the keynote video? I'm not sure what use a spoiler free video would be. Just static? ;)

Also, just subscribe to the Apple Keynote Video Podcast on iTunes and it will download the video automatically without you having to see the surprises.

applemax

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2005
You mean a spoiler free link for the keynote video? I'm not sure what use a spoiler free video would be. Just static? ;)

Also, just subscribe to the Apple Keynote Video Podcast on iTunes and it will download the video automatically without you having to see the surprises.

Yeah but that takes about 24 hours to appear - the video on apple.com usually takes 1-3 hours. :)

jediknight36

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2009
Gig Harbor, WA
Wait a minuet...

So 3.0 is just a software update? I figured they would be releasing a hardware update too.

Any idea if this will be covered by Macrumors to watch?

Arnel

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2003
Vancouver, BC
So 3.0 is just a software update? I figured they would be releasing a hardware update too.

Nope. This is just Apple showing what will be coming in the new 3.0 system software. They'll describe the new APIs and such, and probably have a beta for registered developers so that they can start getting their apps ready ahead of the time it's finished and is made available to the public. The public launch will probably be summer some time.

Around the same time as the 3.0 is made available is when I'd expect a new iPhone as well. However, that will likely not even come up in tomorrow's event. We might be able to infer some things by the direction they take with the OS, but there likely won't be any dead giveaways.

Anyway, this is exactly the same as how it played out last year with the 2.0 software update. They showed the new OS and the developer tools in March, let developers have a beta release then so that they could start building apps, and then they gave the final launch date for the software and announced the new iPhone 3G at WWDC in June. Both came out around a month later.

ieko

macrumors member
Oct 27, 2006
I won't even consider getting a new iPhone (broke my 3G) unless there are background apps allowed.

Elven

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2008
UK
Two things bother me:

1) Will it work on the current iPhone 3G 8GB

2) How much.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.