Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macaron95

macrumors regular
May 5, 2014
Ming Chi Kuo is wrong again

this idiot is not reliable, Macrumors should stop listening to this charlatan

neilford

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2007
los angeles
FWIW, I am unhappy with the trend in Macbook Pros towards thinness. It means that what you buy is what you get, like an iPad. In essence, a Macbook Pro is moving from being a portable alternative of a desktop to being a large and cumbersome iPad. Whereas the iPad works as a handheld device, a Macbook Pro is more of a desktop/laptop (except for heat) device. With the thinness, comes solder-in memory (read not upgrade) and flash memory storage that is non-replaceable making it a user unserviceable device. I always purchase Applecare for the first three years, but after that watch out. This implies that Apple wants you to replace your computer every three years or pay again for it with any repairs that follow and repairs will be needed. Flash memory has a life expectancy. This is forced obsolescence and wasteful.
Someone will will tell me to buy a PC and then I can have my replaceable memory and storage. I have owned Windows machine and MacOS is way superior for my needs. That is why I cling to my Mac, but this time instead of buying a new machine, I bought a newer used Macbook Pro. But I know this is only a temporary stopgap measure. I have been playing with Linux, which I like, but the support from software companies whose software I use is limited or nonexistent and forces me to install a Windows VM to run the software I need, since MacOS does not work well in VM.
I understand that my single opinion will not change the direction of Apple, but it is forcing me to re-evaluate my relationship with Apple.

Rant over. Hope I didn't bore too many of you

kingtj

macrumors 68030
Oct 23, 2003
Brunswick, MD
Doesn't have to be this way though ....

With pretty much all electronic devices, we've seen them transition to going as small and thin as possible with time. I don't necessarily see this as a bad thing with notebook computers... as if they're some sort of exception to the rule that needs different treatment than all other consumer electronics.

The issue I have is that Apple hasn't taken steps to provide the proprietary components as items you can buy separately to upgrade or repair one of the newer machines.

Going with the SSD on a small wafer type card, for example? Absolutely fine, but I should be able to readily purchase replacement SSD cards of various capacities! It's only "non user upgradable/serviceable" because Apple tries to restrict the parts supply.

With the RAM, I'm still on the fence. Memory has gotten reliable enough that it pretty rarely fails during the usable lifespan of a machine. If it's defective, it's likely to fail out of the box, or very shortly after purchase -- so you'd be covered by warranty anyway. It's also cheap enough that it shouldn't be a big issue just to pay a little extra and buy the computer with all of it you'll ever need.

But once again, Apple falls a little short here by "bundling" upgraded RAM on a machine with something else you may not want to pay more for (like a marginally faster CPU).

FWIW, I am unhappy with the trend in Macbook Pros towards thinness. It means that what you buy is what you get, like an iPad. In essence, a Macbook Pro is moving from being a portable alternative of a desktop to being a large and cumbersome iPad. Whereas the iPad works as a handheld device, a Macbook Pro is more of a desktop/laptop (except for heat) device. With the thinness, comes solder-in memory (read not upgrade) and flash memory storage that is non-replaceable making it a user unserviceable device. I always purchase Applecare for the first three years, but after that watch out. This implies that Apple wants you to replace your computer every three years or pay again for it with any repairs that follow and repairs will be needed. Flash memory has a life expectancy. This is forced obsolescence and wasteful.
Someone will will tell me to buy a PC and then I can have my replaceable memory and storage. I have owned Windows machine and MacOS is way superior for my needs. That is why I cling to my Mac, but this time instead of buying a new machine, I bought a newer used Macbook Pro. But I know this is only a temporary stopgap measure. I have been playing with Linux, which I like, but the support from software companies whose software I use is limited or nonexistent and forces me to install a Windows VM to run the software I need, since MacOS does not work well in VM.
I understand that my single opinion will not change the direction of Apple, but it is forcing me to re-evaluate my relationship with Apple.

Rant over. Hope I didn't bore too many of you

sw1tcher

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
I went from a 2008 MacBook Air to a 2013 Macbook Pro Retina and the Macbook Pro is so much heavier, its almost a chore to pickup compared to the MBA.

4-5 lbs is a chore to pick up? Maybe you should trying hitting the gym once in a while.

Thinner is not better, IMO. Thinner for Apple usually means more locked down and less user upgradeable

iososx

macrumors 6502a
Aug 23, 2014
USA
Apple just can't get over their extreme obsession with thin products. The new MBA & MBPR's I just bought are excellent laptops. If you were to ask me what would make it better, I'd never say making it thinner would make me more productive.

I find it sad to think instead of innovation, they're sitting around obsessing how to make it thinner. Apple's no different than any other corporation, they can do some pretty stupid things.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
so its come... at long freckin last...

Apple finally getting rid of the only optical drive Macbook Pro that's left..

Makes perfect sense anyway. Even though they keep telling us "We keep it because other countries need it."

To my response: "Ya, but they can just buy the Super drive you sell." After all customers need to do that on the optical-less models.... so its not a big deal for them... why would it be a big deal here too ?

Besides, there's no other way really to make a Mac thinner, than remove bigger stuff like NIC ports, or optical drive... It must be external.You can make it thin, but you get to a point u must start removing ports.

dav1dd

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2013
Oz
Can buttonless keyboards deliver any sort of physical feedback to the user?
If not, Mr. User Experience will be crying "Et tu, Brute?".

Regarding thinness, it's always nice to have a lighter/slimmer laptop, but what would really make my vajayjay tingle would be reducing that huge bezel on the MBA.
Get rid of half of their thickness, use that space to increase the display size and I'll be a happy man.

This. The MBA is an ugly little b*stard. TVs have been doing minimal bezels for some time - Apple needs to get onboard.

rainydays

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2006
To my response: "Ya, but they can just buy the Super drive you sell." After all customers need to do that on the optical-less models.... so its not a big deal for them... why would it be a big deal here too ?

I do very well without an optical drive. Haven't used one in years.
But the extra space for an additional HDD/SSD is awesome.
I realise that few people use the OptiBay for that though.

Having two mSATA slots in the rMBP would make up for that however. That way you could get some decent storage capacity at a fair price.

The fact that Apple doesn't use mSATA at all is kind of ridiculous. I'll have to pay $500 more to get 384GB extra of storage. A third party 512GB mSATA costs about $300, and if I sell the 128GB for $50 it would be a total of $250.
Sure, I do get a slightly faster CPU with the upgraded rMPB but to me that's worth very little. I'd rather put that towards more RAM.

Last edited:

neilford

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2007
los angeles
I hear you. As someone posted, " I never thought, if only this macbook pro were thinner!". More often, I wish for more power, flexibility and function. This does not go hand in hand with thinner. For instance, in the past, all Macbook Pros came with some kind of high end GFX chip. Now, only the high end Macbook Pro has the high end GFX chip, but the others are labelled Macbook Pros. Why? What makes them a Pro device... the name Pro? I don't think so. A pro device usually has more power, functionality and flexibility.By making the device thinner, they have to find ways to make the space so they remove the power, functionality and flexibility.

With pretty much all electronic devices, we've seen them transition to going as small and thin as possible with time. I don't necessarily see this as a bad thing with notebook computers... as if they're some sort of exception to the rule that needs different treatment than all other consumer electronics.

The issue I have is that Apple hasn't taken steps to provide the proprietary components as items you can buy separately to upgrade or repair one of the newer machines.

Going with the SSD on a small wafer type card, for example? Absolutely fine, but I should be able to readily purchase replacement SSD cards of various capacities! It's only "non user upgradable/serviceable" because Apple tries to restrict the parts supply.

With the RAM, I'm still on the fence. Memory has gotten reliable enough that it pretty rarely fails during the usable lifespan of a machine. If it's defective, it's likely to fail out of the box, or very shortly after purchase -- so you'd be covered by warranty anyway. It's also cheap enough that it shouldn't be a big issue just to pay a little extra and buy the computer with all of it you'll ever need.

But once again, Apple falls a little short here by "bundling" upgraded RAM on a machine with something else you may not want to pay more for (like a marginally faster CPU).

iEdd

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2005
There's already a 12" (11.6") MacBook Air. There's no way there will be an 11.6" and 12.1" (or whatever) in the same lineup; be it Air or Pro.

peltfrelken

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2014
So the current MacBook Pros are already very thin. The MacBook Airs have been rocking the same design for many years, and are thin. Now they want to launch another category?

And it doesn't help that the specs of all them could blend.

I think the priority should be a brand new retina MacBook Air with a new thinner design.

Retina Air 12''
Retina Pro 13''
Retina Air 14''
Retina Pro 15''

Nobody said they were creating another category. This most likely IS the new rMBA.

----------

I really question the future of MacBook Air... As the the Pro is approaching in thickness the only reason for the air to stay in the market is to be MUCH cheaper aiming just on people that need to write some text and surf the web....

The Air is lighter and thinner than the Pro, especially when you look at it as a wedge. Plus, not everyone wants to pay for 8GB of RAM and a faster processor that the Pro has.

If Apple makes a 12" MacBook Air, it'll be smaller in dimensions to the 13" rMBP.

There's a market for both. Always will be.

----------

There's already a 12" (11.6") MacBook Air. There's no way there will be an 11.6" and 12.1" (or whatever) in the same lineup; be it Air or Pro.

The 11" will fade away. This new 12" MBA will most likely have the same form factor as the current 11" model (less bezel, more screen). But, I do see them keeping the 13" around as well.

----------

Rather have thicker one myself.
One that has more ports and options. It’s a shame that I can’t even buy one on the refurb store with an optical drive and ethernet port now.

EDIT: There is one there now!

Doesn't that defeat the purpose of having an ultraportable laptop?

----------

Do we really need thinner MacBook Airs o_O
Yes.

peltfrelken

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2014
4-5 lbs is a chore to pick up? Maybe you should trying hitting the gym once in a while.

Thinner is not better, IMO. Thinner for Apple usually means more locked down and less user upgradeable

1.5 lbs. makes a big difference in a bag (and your shoulder) when you're already carrying around lots of other stuff. Every ounce of weight, and mm of device dimensions make a difference for portability. It's not a macho thing man.

----------

I wouldn't be surprised if Broadwell means that the Macbook Air and Pro lines merge. Once the MBA goes Retina and given the advances in on board GPUs, I don't think there will be much incentive to go with a Pro.

Then you might see just the MacBook line in 12 and 15 with 2-3 choices in processor speed for each.

There will be differences. The MBAs will probably continue to come standard with 4GB RAM, and the MacBook Pros with 8GB RAM. And, most likely the processor will be faster in the Pro, giving it more power for people using it for graphics and editing. Also more ports, I would imagine, on the Pro.

There will be an audience for both.

----------

When will it be thin enough?

The Air already feels flimsy; making something even thinner will only exacerbate that.

Flimsy? That's a joke, right? The 13" MBA is consistently rated as the best laptop on the market. See Laptop Magazine as a prime example, a magazine who spends 95% of their time reviewing PCs, yet consistently ranks Apple as the best laptop maker in the world.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
Apple's notebook market will not get bigger by making the rMBP or MBA thinner, but by launching thicker laptops.

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008
late 2015 or late 2014 ? I must know this because I am in the market for buying a new laptop.

I do not understand Apple continuos obsession with thinner and smaller, isn't it better to have a cooler and a decent GPU for the Pro lines at least?

If you care about lighter equipment get the Air
If you care more about performance get the Pro

Good strategy isn't it?

I hear Macbook Pro just got on par with PS3 graphics which is sad since PS3 is 2006 technology (8 years ago), or the difference between the release of SNES and PS2

Suspended
Mar 23, 2006
England
I wouldn't be surprised if they merged the MBA and MBP into one all new design and simply called it MacBook with screen sizes of 12", 14" and 16".

Milese3

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2014
Southampton - United Kingdom
Sounds to me like a 12" Macbook Air. If so, I'd be happily willing to purchase it.

----------

I wouldn't be surprised if they merged the MBA and MBP into one all new design and simply called it MacBook with screen sizes of 12", 14" and 16".

Sounds like a interesting idea, which could be somewhat likely. I'd love to see it though. :apple:

Cod3rror

macrumors 68000
Apr 18, 2010
One of the things that keep Air and Pro "thick" is USB Type-A ports.

I imagine once Type-C is here, in 2016-ish, both Air and Pro will get quite a bit thinner.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.