Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Iconoclysm

macrumors 68040
May 13, 2010
Washington, DC
Whatever. What I want is for AirPlay to work with my phone line.

1. Connect Airport Express or Apple TV to phone line.
2. Enable some kind of home phone AirPlay mode on an iOS device.
3. Make calls and receive calls on your home phone line using your iOS device.

Also, I miss the ability to connect the phone line to your computer and make calls on it.

Airplay isn't really made for that type of scenario. However, I do similar things with Bluetooth handsets in my house, you'd probably find that what you're looking for is already on the market and can work with any cell phone.

Nova Sensei

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2012
I've never heard audio over bluetooth that didn't sound god-awful -- so for those of us (possibly including tech journalists) who love non-god-awful-sounding music, it could be pretty revolutionary.

Well I don't have OCD, but the sound coming out of my Creative Zen speakers sounds very nice to my ears.

Anyway, i'm all for Apple improving technologies. I just hope they don't try to tell us that this is an amazing leap forward because it really isn't.

thejgroves

macrumors newbie
Aug 28, 2012
I work at a university where these present all sorts of network problems and this seems to be the answer to many problems we've experienced. If an ad-hoc network is used, it will need to be on a channel that won't interfere with other WiFi networks or like in our case where we have 20+ Apple TVs in one building, there would be significant interference. It will also have to work a little different than a traditional ad-hoc network because the iPad still needs to access an Internet capable WiFi network while connected to the Apple TV.

swingerofbirch

macrumors 68040
Aside from the lag issue, video on my MacBook looks way too herky-jerky on my TV via AirPlay mirroring to even consider watching. I'm surprised you even considered gameplay, lag or not. Maybe it's my setup, but streaming via iTunes through regular AirPlay still works beautifully.

Frustrating since this was my main reason for upgrading to ML. I mean, it's cool that I can deliver powerpoint presentations with the TV at home, but going on three weeks now my girlfriend is getting really tired of hearing me drone on. :eek:

Yeah, I wouldn't do it on a regular basis. I did watch one web video, and at first it was way too choppy but it got better as it went on. Really heated up the computer and kicked on the fans too. I'm surprised they didn't put it out as a beta because it definitely feels like more of a cool curiosity right now than something I would use on a regular basis. Plus, my set up is all Apple, so they have no excuses. I have a MacBook Pro, Airport Extreme, two Airport Expresses extending the network, and an Apple TV. If there's a weak link in that mix, it's an Apple product.

Drunken Master

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2011
This would be amazing provided it works with "older" iDevices.

My Mac got left out of AirPlay mirroring, hopefully my 4S doesn't suffer the same fate by being denied this wi-fi free connection.

Swift

macrumors 68000
Feb 18, 2003
Los Angeles
That seems like it should have been a given from the beginning. Enable a local network and "stream" between devices. Should improve transfer speed dramatically.

Maybe using WiFi was just the quick-and-dirty way of getting something working fast...

Wifi was there already. And Bluetooth 4.0 is low power.

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
This would be amazing provided it works with "older" iDevices.

My Mac got left out of AirPlay mirroring, hopefully my 4S doesn't suffer the same fate by being denied this wi-fi free connection.

Word. I'm still all "ARRGH" about the mirroring on my computer that I haven't even paid for yet (less than two years old). I tried AirParrot and it is almost flawless, but not as easy and featurey as AirPlay mirroring.

Definitely hope this doesn't ignore the iPhone 4S owners and even the iPhone 4 owners.

louiek

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2006
Knutters Knoll, Melbourne
The way Airplay works is that it establishes the two devices over your WiFi network then creates an adhoc connection between the two devices with WDS. From that point forward, your router shouldn't be involved with the streaming.

So does that mean I can turn my router off after the original connection is made? Not that I would, I just didn't know that.

*Calypso*

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2011
Germany
What's the news here? The iPhone can already stream music over Bluetooth! A direct WiFi-connection initiated by the iPhone would be a horrible idea, just look at what Personal Hotspot over WiFi does to the device: It gets really hot and loses about 1% battery per minute.

Bluetooth is not the same...and requires device pairing.

Pairing is usually only required once - for a good reason. Otherwise everyone in range could just hack into your AirPlay speaker without having physical access.

Last edited:

CShort

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2011
but NFC isnt fast enough to stream video and BT 4.0 is fast enough, but how would the quality be affected?

NFC has a range of 4cm... NFC is only used to pair the bluetooth (tap to pair). This is current commercial stuff. I'm glad for this, for apple catching up. Airplay requiring a Wifi network compared to all the other bluetooth/ tap to pair&share offerings is really error prone.
Demo: http://www.engadget.com/2011/10/27/nokias-n9-gets-its-tap-to-pair-on-with-the-play-360-bluetooth-s/
Note bluetooth has a 100m range, and the bluetooth 3 spec includes compression in the transmission and produces full quality Audio (not sure about video).

It's also possible that the NFC is also going to do "Tap to Pair" to a wireless network - that is in the NFC specs. Or they'll have some sort of auto wifi-creation mode for airplay bits.

extradryny

macrumors member
Jun 2, 2011
I think what seems like just a neat little feature here is actually a peek into something more transformative around the TV ecosystem.

All the talk about Apple "solving" TV centers around today's broken set top interface, which is of course a huge issue. And of course there is content, which is more a matter of deal-making than innovation. But what about wires? Remember the dawn of the flat screen age when we all looked forward to a future of beautiful, unobtrusive display devices hanging like picture frames on our walls? Wait.. you don't have that yet?

The reality - especially for people in cities - is that the TV area is still a morass of wires, set top boxes, and bad furniture. Even the more fortunate live in a middle ground where the TV is on the wall, but there are still components scattered about underneath. And that's just one room

Went the extra mile and built your house around your media? Let us know where you find a spot for that new device.

In an AirPlay world... go ahead and stick everything in the closet. Add a new device? Add it to the pile. Everything is going to have an AirPlay input, built-in or via dongle. People will be able to take back their rooms from TV, and the dysfunctional living room TV area just might become beautiful again.

Bheleu

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2010
At&t

Fine print, this feature will be carrier dependent. Only available under new data plans.

Iconoclysm

macrumors 68040
May 13, 2010
Washington, DC
What's the news here? The iPhone can already stream music over Bluetooth! A direct WiFi-connection initiated by the iPhone would be a horrible idea, just look at what Personal Hotspot over WiFi does to the device: It gets really hot and loses about 1% battery per minute.

Pairing is usually only required once - for a good reason. Otherwise everyone in range could just hack into your AirPlay speaker without having physical access.

A direct wifi connection is what iPhone already does, believe it or not. Pairing usually has a limit on the number of devices that can be paired at one time...I know what the reason is, that's not the point.

Beezzy

macrumors 6502
Apr 23, 2011
I want!

rainbowmouth-300x229.jpg

ChrisB1

macrumors member
Feb 21, 2006
Good. I hope this helps eliminate the periodic stuttering with music sent over my wifi network from my iPhone to a airport express. It is annoying and when bad, makes enjoying music impossible.

Chrisg2014

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2010
USA
Bluetooth is not the same...and requires device pairing.

A one time thing, Probably you'll have to do the same with this. If you're network doesn't have a password, anyone can play music on your speakers. It's 5 a.m. in the morning and your in a dorm or an apartment building or your home and your neighbor is still up and wants to play music on there speakers but "accidentally" (they might hate you and want to screw with you) picks your network. BLAST HARD CORE METAL MUSIC! (0_0) That would be an eye opener.

mex4eric

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2009
Ottawa, Canada
It doesn't use Bluetooth, it doesn't use NFC, it says clearly it uses "wifi direct". Wifi Direct is a new feature on the wifi spec and it is what is used for AirDrop, which also doesn't need a wifi "network" but just wifi and "proximity". The Macs which have the right wifi chips are exactly those for whom AirDrop works, which is only relatively newer Macs. No idea which iDevices have the same wifi chip, but I am sure Apple will let you know, and some one with knowledge of the parts, such as iSupply, will be happy to let us know sooner.

So old AirPlay uses wifi with a router, but AirPlay Direct uses the newer wifi chips, hence works with devices that have those newer chips.

Chrisg2014

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2010
USA
A direct wifi connection is what iPhone already does, believe it or not. Pairing usually has a limit on the number of devices that can be paired at one time...I know what the reason is, that's not the point.

Now the iPhone doesn't have a "set" limit of pairing. But I could see the speakers having one of maybe 15-20 devices. But who has that many? Yeah you might have a friend over.

Lets see,
Maybe 3-4 macs
Maybe 2-3 iphones
Maybe 2-3 iPads
Maybe 2-3 iPod touches

That's about 13 devices.

But who knows you might have more.

rdlink

macrumors 68040
Nov 10, 2007
Out of the Reach of the FBI
Now the iPhone doesn't have a "set" limit of pairing. But I could see the speakers having one of maybe 15-20 devices. But who has that many? Yeah you might have a friend over.

Lets see,
Maybe 3-4 macs
Maybe 2-3 iphones
Maybe 2-3 iPads
Maybe 2-3 iPod touches

That's about 13 devices.

Distance, people. Distance. Bluetooth has pretty crappy distance and obstruction limitations. WiFi does not.

Iconoclysm

macrumors 68040
May 13, 2010
Washington, DC

Lets see,
Maybe 3-4 macs
Maybe 2-3 iphones
Maybe 2-3 iPads
Maybe 2-3 iPod touches

That's about 13 devices.

My Bose Soundlink has a limit on the number of devices I can pair, I believe it's currently 2. Which is super lame.

----------

Distance, people. Distance. Bluetooth has pretty crappy distance and obstruction limitations. WiFi does not.

Bluetooth also only runs over 2.4 GHz, is a device and driver spec, compresses audio, etc.

gorskiegangsta

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Isn't this already called Bluetooth?

Airplay via Bluetooth? Very nice! It will be a lot easier to set up presentations or connect to speakers when outside!

No one says it'll require Bluetooth. From the looks of it, you just won't have to be connected to the network base station (i.e. router) and the connection will be direct between devices.

I like that, this may improve latency.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.