Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I'm hoping I end up with a Samsung display in my iPad Mini Retina. Apple replaced the horrid LG display in my rMBP with a Samsung and that is probably the most beautiful screen I've ever seen. My iPad 2 ended up having image retention issues too, but they really didn't manifest until my warranty had just expired. I thought somewhere people said those were also LG displays. If I have issues this time I'm going to keep returning until I get something decent. As much as a loathe Samsung as a company who tries to copy top-tier products by churning out plastic crap, their displays are amazing. It would be ideal if they would just shut down everything else and focus on making displays and chip fab. They're good at it.

RightMACatU

macrumors 65816
Jul 12, 2012
Oufff déjà vue with the 128GB SSDs.

Fast forward six months and the news will be "iPad Mini Retina with non-Samsung display are now known for their issues..." :D

Snowshiro

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2008
yup they claim to make hardware and software .. well the screen is part of the hardware yes?

Apple don't make ****. They outsource everything to Chinese, Taiwanese, Korean and Japanese companies. Tim Cook's primary contribution to the company during the Jobs era was to convince Steve to outsource their supply chain. It's what he's most famous for in business.

Last edited by a moderator:

lobeyonekenobi

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2010
Melbourne, Australia
Why is Apple simply not recognizing that they cannot get rid of Samsung as a supplier

these past years, all new product shortages have proven that current suppliers are not as reliable as Samsung

if Apple wasn't so stubborn, sales would have been much higher and customers not so disappointed about shortages :mad:

I have to agree with this, I may not like their phone division but you cannot argue Samsung are the only reliable suppliers of quality screens.

I understand Apple not wanting to deal with Samsung but they are cutting their noses off to spite their face if they lose sales due to their stubbornness, stick with them for screens for now and move along if and when they find someone as good or better.

STiNG Operation

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2012
The Zoo
The bad displays were LG, and the good displays were Samsung. I had to change mine from LG to Samsung.

It sure is irritating that nobody can deliver proper parts for Apple except Samsung. They can't seem to get rid of them.

They really should have addressed this issue publicly. It's the reason they don't have my money for a new laptop. I'm not playing that game on the chance I might get a bad display.

The forums have already proved they are still using screens from 2012 and there is video proof of IR problems on some of the late 13's. If they would just acknowledge they are fixing the problem I would be happy to buy a new macbook.

Bubba Satori

Suspended
Feb 15, 2008
B'ham
Samsung is evil.

Genocide is evil.
Seriously. :rolleyes:

----------

And that's the reason why Samsung are evil.
Copy after release, that's bad.
Copy by being frienemy, that's evil.

You really have absolutely no clue what evil is, do you?
How sad and what a frightening thought.
Artists have been copying/drawing inspiration from other artists for millennia.
Are they evil? :rolleyes:

Tubamajuba

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2011
here
I really don't like Samsung, and in general, I'm really glad that Apple is moving away from them as a parts supplier.

That said, they provide Apple with better displays than the other manufacturers, so Apple should keep using them. Preferably increasing the percentage of Samsung displays in their products.

Aluminum213

macrumors 68040
Mar 16, 2012
Yeah.

It's a business transaction however. Apple isn't paying anymore than any other client.

If they NEED Samsung to produce screens for them, who do you think has the upper hand in negotiating the prices?

This is business 101

G51989

macrumors 68030
Feb 25, 2012
NYC NY/Pittsburgh PA
I really don't like Samsung, and in general, I'm really glad that Apple is moving away from them as a parts supplier.

That said, they provide Apple with better displays than the other manufacturers, so Apple should keep using them. Preferably increasing the percentage of Samsung displays in their products.

The issue is, Apple is trying to move away from Samsung, and its straight up not working. No other company seems to be able to provide the Numbers Apple needs, and companies like LG and Sharp don't seem to be able to meet demand, or make screens that...work right

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008

To be honest it would be good if there was another company that could provide the quality and quantity that apple requires.

Sadly Apple is dependent on suppliers for their hardware.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
So Samsung can just dilly-dally at hold iPad mini screens hostage? This is an odd relationship, Mr. Cook.

Samsung still makes money on sales to Apple. I'm sure they don't mind the business.

I do wonder, sometimes, why Apple just doesn't make an offer to buy Sharp, or LG and/or Samsung's display businesses. Display yields always seems to be an issue. Perhaps that's why they are being so forceful with their IP lawsuits. A final final judgment in their favor could be good negotiating leverage.

----------

If they NEED Samsung to produce screens for them, who do you think has the upper hand in negotiating the prices?

This is business 101

Not necessarily. A few years ago Samsung would have gotten 100% of Apple's business. Now they are one of three suppliers. Sure, Samsung has more leverage if they are supplying, for example, 40% of the screens instead of 25% (if that's what Apple had originally planned). But they don't have as much leverage as they did when they were essentially Apple's sole supplier.

----------

The issue is, Apple is trying to move away from Samsung, and its straight up not working. No other company seems to be able to provide the Numbers Apple needs, and companies like LG and Sharp don't seem to be able to meet demand, or make screens that...work right

They are making inroads, however. They have found alternative SSD suppliers (though they might not be going back to Toshiba anytime soon). Plus, if no one invests in competitors that would leave Samsung with essentially a monopoly position, which would be bad for the industry as a whole.

LG does seem to be a bit ahead of the curve in terms of curved and flexible displays (at least so far as LG's first curved design is more aggressive than Samsung's).

FrankB1191

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2013
Pennsylvania
I'm not buying this, and think Apple is just preparing an explain how they got millions of Mini's on store shelves in time. Seems just a bit too convenient, and a little too last minute. Samsung is likely very busy at all times, and they could just set aside their own products to bail Apple out of its woes.

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
Isn't the iPad Mini Retina Display the same ppi as the iPhone 5/5C/5S ?

Why is it so hard to make that same display larger?
With that much more physical space, it is much easier for errors to creep in to any one unit during manufacture. The larger an LCD panel is, the smaller the yield rate, which is a percentage.

You want bad? Look at yields for camera sensors. Full frame sensors (35mm film size), like those in just the highest end Canon/Nikon, have ridiculously low yields with the comparatively large size and massive number of pixels. Hence the $5000+ camera prices. Or medium format is even worse, hence the $20000+ prices.

dgdosen

macrumors 68030
Dec 13, 2003
Seattle
I'm not buying this, and think Apple is just preparing an explain how they got millions of Mini's on store shelves in time. Seems just a bit too convenient, and a little too last minute. Samsung is likely very busy at all times, and they could just set aside their own products to bail Apple out of its woes.

What I'm not buying is the timing of the message... Today is the day they started shipping the device who's market will be a canibalized by the mini.

SurferMan

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2010
South FL
I have a friend who consults for a bunch of the companies in screen manufacturing. Sammy has the best production screens period, whether tv, or computer, or phones etc. There's a reason why in the tv world most the "big name" companies get majority of their screens from Sammy. Sony switched to LG and guess whose complaining now and wishing they stayed with Sammy partnership too lol.

techwhiz

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2010
Northern Ca.
The costs to run and maintain such a factory outweigh any advantages...

Yep.

They did invest in a panel factory, with, wait for it.......
Samsung back in 1999.
The partnership between Apple and Samsung goes back more than a decade.
People can point to the whole smartphone thing, but the bottom line is that Samsung *AND* Apple need each other.
Samsung needs to sell memory, displays, and wafers in their FABs.
Apple needs to buy all of the above.

Samsung tries to maintain a strict wall between the component side of the house and everything else.

Apple will continue to use Samsung as a supplier for the foreseeable future.
They cannot be completely replaced.

kdarling

macrumors P6
I've read that Samsung and LG will sometimes help each other with production problems.

Just last month, they also agreed to drop all patent infringement lawsuits against each other.

Now they are looking for ways to cooperate together to advance display technology without the previous constant worry that the other will sue them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.