Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has quietly released a new software update to the Apple TV which brings the system software up to version 2.4. The exact changes have not yet been listed by Apple so we can't tell you everything that's been changed just yet. Apple typically updates this support document with the latest changes. The last update was the 2.3.1 update from February 2009.

One particularly notable feature however appears to be support for the newest version of Apple's Remote app [Free] which adds gesture support for controlling your Apple TV.

153757-controls_500.jpg

Apple TV's menu options can now be navigated with simple flick gestures. Similarly Video and Audio have new flick gestures that can be used to advance, rewind and replay. See the screenshots above.

Article Link: Apple TV 2.4 Update Now Available, Updated Remote App with Gestures

Ted13

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2003
NYC
How about Front Row support in Apple's remote? Yes it is full of third party FR remotes, but Apple should cover it too.

likemyorbs

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
NJ
Awesome, now if only they could update the actual appletv itself and make it useful and worth buying, that would just be amazing

elppa

macrumors 68040
Nov 26, 2003
Oh no, what dreadful fate awaits the crummy white remote with five buttons and a watch battery.

amac4me

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2005
I've been holding out for an updated Apple TV ... hopefully we'll see a new one released in September. :confused:

fanbrain

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2005
So. UT
Too bad I just sold my :apple:TV. The ability to stream music to the other room and control it with my iPhone was great. Watching movies was a secondary feature.

Terry W

macrumors member
Apr 20, 2007
NYC
Nice

I second the user who said he uses Apple TV all the time. I find it much better than netflix. Anyone know if you can now see RENTED movies that are on the Apple TV when viewing using the iphone remote? That's the last thing I need to permanently get rid of that annoying little white remote that my dog keeps finding and chewing to pieces.

Undecided

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2005
California
Good, maybe now I won't have to reboot my ATV when I want to purchase something (often, for some reason, I am left with being able to do everything except actually purchase, and must reboot for it to successfully complete a transaction).

iOrlando

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
i dont do apple tv updates because they break boxee and i really dont want to go through the hassle with the usb stick and downloading boxee and all of that.

the-oz-man

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2009
Awesome, now if only they could update the actual appletv itself and make it useful and worth buying, that would just be amazing

You obviously need to try the "special" ATV setup. Changes the way you watch TV and movies . . .

TCM333

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2008
I second the user who said he uses Apple TV all the time. I find it much better than netflix. Anyone know if you can now see RENTED movies that are on the Apple TV when viewing using the iphone remote? That's the last thing I need to permanently get rid of that annoying little white remote that my dog keeps finding and chewing to pieces.

Thats really funny, my dog eats mine too. She's addicted to little white remotes

kugino

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2003
Looks like I'll be spending some ime this afternoon instLling this update then re-installing atv patchstick to get the latest boxee on there.

ichrispod

macrumors newbie
Jun 24, 2009
I hope...

that this fixes the constant freezing and lagged responses I have with mine! Anyone else have constant freezes? Random pixels on the screen? Slow remote responses?

Also, when did they dim the little white light in the front?

BeyondtheTech

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2007
Ever since they upgraded to 2.0 it's been sluggish as hell. I've even had the pleasure of yanking out the power cord just to get back to the main menu. Features of 2.0 plus the speed of 1.0 would be fantastic, please.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.