Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BWhaler

macrumors 68040
Jan 8, 2003
I hope the AppleTV update fixes the painful bugs. (Notably the grey screen that can happen when downloading a movie requiring a reboot to start playing, not being able to see iTunes libraries, general UI bugginess, etc.)

AppleTV has always been a dubious value proposition to me, but renting movies made it a modest addition to the living room. But the bugs were making it unusable--especially now that Tivo will let me rent the same movies.

I hope this fixes the issues...

Xavier

macrumors demi-god
Mar 23, 2006
Columbus
I have always wondered, does the Apple TV do 1080i? I am going to search the internet now to try and find the answer.

I thought that the Apple TV could output 1080i but most content on iTunes was 720p.

And I really like the Remote app now controlling Apple TV. It is another reason for me to write the check to finally own one.

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
What I'd really love to see in Remote is the ability to control another iPhone. Or to put it a better way, to put an iPhone into a mode where it shows up as a library in Remote, like you can do with iTunes and AppleTV.

Then, it'd be a snap to put the 1sthen iPhone I just replaced to work as a stereo. Or maybe even as a super-compact AppleTV :)

I think a simpler solution would be to add the ability stream via Airtunes from an iPhone.

msprouls

macrumors member
Feb 5, 2007
Always there. The UI can be set to 1080p. Video won't play (and is not available via iTunes) in that res. The tv's specs can't keep up.

Cool, I knew the content was not there. I just did not remember seeing it was an option.

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
I have always wondered, does the Apple TV do 1080i? I am going to search the internet now to try and find the answer.

I thought that the Apple TV could output 1080i but most content on iTunes was 720p.

And I really like the Remote app now controlling Apple TV. It is another reason for me to write the check to finally own one.

It will output 1080 to your TV but the highest resolution content it can play (either purchased or ripped) is 720 so it has to upscale it

Xavier

macrumors demi-god
Mar 23, 2006
Columbus
It will output 1080 to your TV but the highest resolution content it can play (either purchased or ripped) is 720 so it has to upscale it

Thank you.

Interesting. Hopefully with the next 'major' upgrade to the Apple TV, 1080 will be possible.

Looks like I am still holding out on an Apple TV

UMHurricanes34

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Dear Lord.

I updated and my AppleTV has never been so unresponsive and laggy. It's giving about 4 seconds between button press and response.

Tried starting an episode of Top Gear, heard the first note of the intro music and then nothing. Black screen, no sound. 40 seconds later it pops to the place in the episode it would have been by then.

This update worries me.

fgonz44

macrumors newbie
Mar 26, 2009
Love my ATV - Both of them

I have 2 ATVs and don't use a DVD player anymore. I am looking forward to the upgrade.
Now, If I could only get a third one, put it in my wife's car, and hook it up to my kids DVD players.

blizaine

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2003
I have 2 ATVs and don't use a DVD player anymore. I am looking forward to the upgrade.
Now, If I could only get a third one, put it in my wife's car, and hook it up to my kids DVD players.

I was thinking about getting a second. Does the second one only allow streaming instead of Syncing, like the first?

afd

macrumors 65816
Apr 12, 2005
Scotland
I really like the gestures for fast forward and rewind, works very well, a lot easier than with the apple remote. The only thing missing is the ability to switch off the Apple TV from the iPhone remote. It's pain having to switch the telly's input to the Apple TV just to switch it off after it mysteriously switches on.

chr1s60

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2007
California
I love my tv and use it at least a few times a week to watch a movie. I don't really use the photo or music features, but for watching movies and checking out the latest movie trailers tv is awesome. Good to see an update. Did Apple ever allow for YouTube HD? I've been meaning to check, but I keep forgetting. Anyway, I'll be updating tonight.

I really like the gestures for fast forward and rewind, works very well, a lot easier than with the apple remote. The only thing missing is the ability to switch off the Apple TV from the iPhone remote. It's pain having to switch the telly's input to the Apple TV just to switch it off after it mysteriously switches on.

Glad to see mine is not the only one that likes to turn on at random times.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.