Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

levitynyc

macrumors 65816
Aug 19, 2006
As long as developers can find a way to make controls for the remote, nothing is stopping them for making actual good controls for third party controllers.

Good luck on getting a shooter to work with that remote.

displayblock

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2014
Well there goes Guitar Hero / Rock Band, which was specifically talked about @ the Keynote.

They could easily toss in control mappings for the touch pad, same as they did for the Wiimote's D-Pad on the Wii versions of their games. It'll just suck to play unless you buy the instrument controllers, but this is one of the few modern console games that can be done without analog sticks.

Games that do require control sticks won't be seen on this new Apple TV because of this policy.

Reactions: brendu

vannibombonato

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2007
Thus driving a nail in the coffin for any companies interested in making good games for it.

No one on earth is going to buy this for its gaming capabilities.

Why even bother if you need to be able to control it with that disaster of a remote?

The NES is 30+ years old and is a more capable gaming machine than the Apple TV.

You'll remember this when in 2 or 3 years here will be hundreds of games available.

It's very right not to require a controller, you would have people buying a game only to find that they can't use it, no matter how many times you wrote in the description that a controller was needed.

macrumors 6502
Dec 15, 2010
Seems like a pretty obvious policy and a non-issue. Developers can still create games around a dedicated controller and offer support for the included remote.

People would be up in arms after buying a game and finding out they can't play it until they buy a new remote.

brendu

Cancelled
Apr 23, 2009
Good move that doesn't force consumers to buy third party stuff just to play games.

Yeah except that it will guarantee that games are no more than iPhone clones or motion based. There won't be any first person games of any sort coming to Apple TV now. Too bad, Apple could have made a lot with their 30% take of all those games.

brendu

Cancelled
Apr 23, 2009
Do other "game" consoles require this? It doesn't seem that unreasonable to assume PS or xBox require's support of their own native controllers.
Those controllers are the culmination of decades of refinement to gaming controls. They are the best possible control layout and shape for console gaming at this time. Apples controller is a remote to select media. It is a pathetic input device for complex games with lots of input needs. It won't be a problem for casual games but it will prevent games such as first person shooters or adventure games like uncharted or tomb raider from ever coming to the platform.

_Refurbished_

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2007
I dare someone to port Dark Souls to the Apple TV and force consumers to beat it using the Apple Remote.

On a serious note, the Apple TV is a failure to me. I was excited for a few things:

1 - Gaming. Nope, it's a joke.
2 - "Recently Viewed" section of the interface ala Amazon FireTV. Nope, shows you a money grab for Top ITunes Movies on the home page.
3 - Cord cutting package. Nope, not ready or coming at all.

Siri looks good, but I don't always want to talk to my TV. The onscreen interface needs to be better.

Better luck next time Apple. Take your $200 box and rethink things.

geoffm33

macrumors 6502
Dec 27, 2010
How is it Apple develops a $99 "Pencil" accessory but they can't see the value of developing a dedicated game pad accessory?

That doesn't compute. The $99 Pencil is, as you indicate, an accessory. Sold separately and not needed to use the iPad. If Apple built a controller and sold it separately how would that relate to the current topic?

Reactions: Scrub175

rbrian

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2011
Aberdeen, Scotland
What about games like GTA? I bought San Andreas, because OMG! My favourite PS2 game in my pocket! I didn't even try the touch controls, it works fine with my Moga controller. Even with on-screen controls, you need both thumbs. How's that going to work when the touchpad is at only one end of the remote? If the buttons were in a diamond layout instead of a square, that could work, but they're not.

With games like that, the new Apple TV could compete with the PS3 and 360, without... Wii?

Reactions: ENduro and R3k

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
I think this is a smart, but temporary, step for Apple. They are going from no app support on the TV to supporting apps and games will be rushing in. This will slow down the games to more simplistic ones due to this requirement. Once they get some experience and work more closely with developers, I could see them releasing a separate section in the TV store for MFI controller only games in the future. Apple want to manage the experience and that is probably a good safe step. I also suspect that some developers with deeper pockets can create a easy mode for the remote and a pro mode for the controller. All theories of mine of course, but for me this is fine. I play CoC and ashfault 8 on my ipad. I dont see any issues with those on the TV. Other games where its FPS kill everything, maybe this will not be the way to go yet.

brendu

Cancelled
Apr 23, 2009
You'll remember this when in 2 or 3 years here will be hundreds of games available.

It's very right not to require a controller, you would have people buying a game only to find that they can't use it, no matter how many times you wrote in the description that a controller was needed.

There will be hundreds of games alright. None of them will get me to game on this platform when I can play much better, more engaging games with a true console.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
If Apple wants to require that their remote work with games, shouldn't they design their remote with games in mind? The Apple TV remote was clearly designed with being a remote in mind first and anything else second.

People complained about the Wiimote (I personally thought it was pretty good), but this is crap. Motion sensing and a tiny touch screen space. The iPhone can have more complicated games than the Apple TV can. Zero physical controls that you can actually feel and use without looking at them.

npmacuser5

macrumors 68000
Apr 10, 2015
I like Amazon Fire TV approach to gaming. Use what fits the game and what device. Apple approach marks some sense, as the streaming games are for the entertainment gamer. Good news, introduces new users to gaming at an affordable price point. I think it will work.

Reactions: PrimeMatrix

canesalato

Cancelled
Jan 31, 2010
Not solely the reason, but definitely part of the reason:

A developer could create a free game that requires a $50 controller to play, essentially bypassing Apple's purchase structure.
no. Because the controller must still be an MFI one...
also...a free game still won't give apple any money, controller or remote...so...I think I have missed your point

PowerBook-G5

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2013
Apple should have also created a gaming controller with more advanced controls as a first-party solution to this.

davidg4781

macrumors 68030
Oct 28, 2006
Alice, TX
I can see consumers buying games and not realizing a controller is needed and then trying to get a refund on the game or something...No matter how clearly they put on the app store page for the game "EXTRA CONTROLLER NEEDED, DOES NOT WORK WITH REMOTE" you know a billion people are gonna buy it anyways and then complain/be upset when it doesnt work with the remote and leave 1 star reviews "DIDNT WORK WITH MY REMOTE!!! AVOID THIS GAME ITS A SCAM"....the problem is people are dumb....

I see what you're saying but I wouldn't necessarily say people are dumb. Why should a consumer be required to read the entire description to make sure a new game is full compatible with a new device that is specifically in that devices App Store? If I see Toe Jam and Earl on there, I'm buying straight away. I'm not going to worry about reviews or the description. And I want to play it for the next hours as soon as it downloads.

This is Apple. Not Google or Microsoft. It's better to sacrifice a bit but have a user experience far superior than others.

Reactions: PrimeMatrix
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.