Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kar98

macrumors 65816
Feb 20, 2007
Hmmm... if I throw Windows 10 on my Mac mini and install Plex to stream to the XBox, I could get rid of my AppleTV altogether...

Reactions: alvindarkness

juniormaj

macrumors regular
Dec 28, 2001
Newbury Park, CA
This should be fun to play on my 65" TV.
Snake.jpg

Quu

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2007
You'll remember this when in 2 or 3 years here will be hundreds of games available.

It's very right not to require a controller, you would have people buying a game only to find that they can't use it, no matter how many times you wrote in the description that a controller was needed.

If in three years there are only hundreds of games available it will be classed as a failure. It needs 2,000 titles atleast in three years to be considered a success.

Reactions: ackmondual

canesalato

Cancelled
Jan 31, 2010
You don't NEED to.

All this means is that games have to work with the included remote, not that developers CAN'T support third-party controllers. They just can't require that you buy one to use the game at all.
I think you are not looking at the big picture (eg: from a game developer POV): as a user you don't need to use the remote, but as a developer you are required to make your game fully playable with that thing...which means that most of traditional games won't be on Apple tv, because their control scheme is to complex to scale down to the remote and developer can't just use external controllers! Sure, there will be games that will be GOOD with the remote...it's just that those games are the freemium, short and casual ones. But these kind of games already dominate the iOS e ecosystem and personally I was hoping for something a bit deeper than my iPhone. Not less. Well, eventually they will realise how dumb this is and will change the requirement. But this is one of things that worries me about today Apple. they used to nail products...now they look to me a little out of touch...a bit "let's try this, let's try that, eventually we'll make it work"

gaximus

macrumors 68020
Oct 11, 2011
This is not a gaming console, its just for light weight games. People also said that games would never be good on a smart phone with touch screen control, yet there are a ton of good games.

I can see consumers buying games and not realizing a controller is needed and then trying to get a refund on the game or something...No matter how clearly they put on the app store page for the game "EXTRA CONTROLLER NEEDED, DOES NOT WORK WITH REMOTE" you know a billion people are gonna buy it anyways and then complain/be upset when it doesnt work with the remote and leave 1 star reviews "DIDNT WORK WITH MY REMOTE!!! AVOID THIS GAME ITS A SCAM"....the problem is people are dumb....

They could get around this by not letting games be downloaded if the apple tv doesn't detect an 3rd party controller. But Apple would never let that happen because for Apple, "everything just works". Apps that don't work without an 3rd party controller would make people upset, but apps that support an 3rd party controller will make people happy.

Reactions: rbrian

TheBuffather

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2009
Orlando, FL
I have no problem with this. This is no different than any other game console. You build the game to work with the controller that comes with the console. The fact that developers can work in compatibility with other controllers is good. But building games that cannot use the default Apple controller, or must require a different controller? Not a good idea in my book.

Glassed Silver

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2007
Kassel, Germany
Wii Mote (landscape) ergonomics 2.0.

But this puts a beautiful label on what I - personally - consider a terrible choice for gaming anyways.
Remote requirement yes or no.

Glassed Silver:mac

usarioclave

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2003
You don't need to use it to see that it's an ergonomic mess, just like the previous ATV remotes.

And the unwashed masses speak. As an ATV user since the 1 and a frontrow user before then, I can say that the remote is just fine for what it does.

PeterJay

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2010
Newcastle upon tyne
Well there goes Guitar Hero / Rock Band, which was specifically talked about @ the Keynote.
You could probably use the touchpad to represent the six buttons on the new controller (just tried this out with an iPhone in one hand) but I'm not sure how you'd handle strumming. Best I could manage was stabilising the body of the remote/iPhone with my other hand, then shaking up and down to represent finger strums over the strings. Not very precise.

garirry

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2013
Canada is my city
People forgot about the Wii. It may not have the best controls for most games, but they still tried to use them as best as possible with the quite pathetic Wii remote.

Kar98

macrumors 65816
Feb 20, 2007
This is not a gaming console, its just for light weight games. People also said that games would never be good on a smart phone with touch screen control, yet there are a ton of good games.

OK, there's Bejeweled and its clones. And ... ?

iSee

macrumors 68040
Oct 25, 2004
As Touch Arcade points out, the requirement is bound to be a hassle for developers, especially those with games that have complicated control schemes.

Don't be silly.

A developer would have to be pretty dense to spend money to develop or port a title to Apple TV and not make it work well with the only control they can be sure all of their customers have.

If this is a "hassle" for any developer, it would be a matter of Apple saving them from themselves.

The only real downside is a "showcase" title that is paired with a controller, like Wii Fit with its balance board. But it looks like that kind of thing is still possible.. they just can't make the controller required.

There will be games that will have control schemes that are too complicated for the remote, for sure. What if Apple rejects apps that feature terrible controls for the remote, designed only to achieve the bare minimum functionality?
Uh... that's a good thing, right?

Or developers with complicated controls decide to skip making their app compatible with the Apple TV because it won't be worth it?
Hm, so this policy might discourage developers who don't want to spend effort making their game work well on the Apple TV? This still sounds like a good thing.
Ideally, we don't want to get to a point where games aren't coming to the Apple TV, or being actively rejected, because they won't fit the remote.
Uh, yeah, I think that is what we want. No one needs half-assed ports of games designed for other consoles on Apple TV.

Boy, when Touch Arcade breaks it down like this, it sure seems like a good policy.

Reactions: geoffm33

iReality85

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2008
Upstate NY
Seems like an ill-conceived policy. It's not like the Apple Remote is a Wiimote, which is specifically made for gaming. Nor is a TV like an iPhone or iPad, where in the absence of a controller you can use a touch interface on screen.

The ideal set up would be for iPads/iPhones/iPods to act as controllers that link via Bluetooth with the Apple TV.

SlipperySlop

Suspended
Sep 14, 2015
Apple is so restrictive it's a wonder why I continue with them.
Seriously? It sounds like you should go elsewhere for your phones, computers, etc. Most companies certainly won't be as "restrictive". Have a good time with HP, Samsung, and all the rest.

verpeiler

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2013
Munich, Germany
OK, there's Bejeweled and its clones. And ... ?

Seriously? There are tons of good games out there. As a PC-gamer I was very sceptic about touchscreen controls, but there a lots of great games (adventures, strategy games, tower defence and really creative games) in the app store, especially for the iPad.

doelcm82

macrumors 68040
Feb 11, 2012
Florida, USA
I think you are not looking at the big picture (eg: from a game developer POV): as a user you don't need to use the remote, but as a developer you are required to make your game fully playable with that thing...which means that most of traditional games won't be on Apple tv, because their control scheme is to complex to scale down to the remote and developer can't just use external controllers! Sure, there will be games that will be GOOD with the remote...it's just that those games are the freemium, short and casual ones. But these kind of games already dominate the iOS e ecosystem and personally I was hoping for something a bit deeper than my iPhone. Not less. Well, eventually they will realise how dumb this is and will change the requirement. But this is one of things that worries me about today Apple. they used to nail products...now they look to me a little out of touch...a bit "let's try this, let's try that, eventually we'll make it work"
This will weed out the developers who can't figure out how to make games that are compatible with the Apple TV remote.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.