Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
"There wasn't a problem with the software, it's just that the software was wrong."

If a contractor gave that excuse, you'd sack them on the spot, but Apple apologists will be tripping all over themselves to say how it's not Apple's fault, even though they're responsible for every step. I'm surprised Apple didn't blame their users, they do usually.

You can't make this stuff up.

----------

Who needs accountability when you have legions of pliable and obedient customers?

Excuse me but can you point to where Joswiak said it wasn't Apple's fault? Apple is responsible for software distribution. And those who updated via iTunes didn't have issues, only those updating via OTA. Seems like a distribution issue to me.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
I downloaded 8.0.1 through iTunes and it worked perfectly. I don't think Greg Joswiak was trying to pass the buck, he explained what happened and apologized. What more do you want him to do? Maybe he should give everyone who had a problem a solid gold :apple:Watch. Wanna bet someone would find fault with that?

People would complain they wanted the leather band instead of the sport band. :D

nutjob

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2010
Excuse me but can you point to where Joswiak said it wasn't Apple's fault? Apple is responsible for software distribution. And those who updated via iTunes didn't have issues, only those updating via OTA. Seems like a distribution issue to me.

Apple is using doublespeak to make it look like the problem wasn't with them. And looking at the posts on this forum, it worked.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
"You're downloading it wrong."

Again, where did Jozwiak blame anyone else, including consumers? What he said was factually correct. There was a problem with the OTA distribution. It's still Apple's fault, hence why he apologized. If only the people making lame smart-ass comments like yours would do the same. :)

princered

macrumors member
Jul 31, 2014
Georgia
I must be missing something here. I bought a Fitbit. It appears that its nothing more than an expensive pedometer and sleep monitor. Charging is a real pain in the a$$, and fastening the band totally $ucks.

I like the features of the App.. Idk which one you had, i had the Force. Always trying to outdo myself and take more steps or run further on my runs. Competing against my friends and earning badges (achievements). The whole experience was just great. The strap didn't give me any issues. After a while it was a little more lose around the screen but i think thats because I plunged it in water a few times on accident.. What charging issues did you have? I would only charge my Force every few days when it would show that it was low. I would charge it while I showered and shaved. Got ready for work and it would be about full. Charge it again during my evening shower and it was full charge. Not really a pain seeing as though i only had to do this once maybe twice a week if used it a lot.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Apple is using doublespeak to make it look like the problem wasn't with them. And looking at the posts on this forum, it worked.

How is it doublespeak when Apple is responsible for distribution? And those who updated via iTunes has no issues. How could updates via iTunes be bug free if the issue was with the software itself?

iolinux333

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2014
Well one of the watches is 18-karat gold. What do people expect that to cost?

----------

So that's why he said Apple was "very sorry"? Because he's blaming others? :rolleyes:

Well I've never committed a crime in my life, and can afford the gold apple watch, whatever it costs - but since the tech in it will soon be obsolete, I think it makes more sense for me to just mug the first person I see wearing the "edition" and get it that way.

shingo1

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2014
You got served!

"It's not the software (iOS 8.0.1) itself, it's the way it's distributed". If that was the case, why didn't Apple do the "correct distribution" the very next hour with an iOS 8.0.2 update?

What it actually means is "for those who downloaded iOS 8.0.1 onto your iPhone 6 and 6+, you were the ones who shouldn't have downloaded it. Apple didn't mean to distribute that to you. It's your own fault to apply the update so soon.. LOL :)

dtich

macrumors regular
May 27, 2007
"it was the way it was distributed" ??

Boy now I'm more confused.

:rolleyes:

i assume this means that the update process was flawed -- maybe that the order in which software modules got updated caused a baseband failure or something similar on some phones. makes fine sense. and now it doesn't matter anyway. :)

superman23

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2011
It means the high-end watch will indeed cost thousands of dollars. At least that's what I got from it.

what do you do with the gold band when the watch is obsolete and useless in 1-2 years...melt it down for 1/5th what you paid?

dtich

macrumors regular
May 27, 2007
...... er. does anybody else get a weird nag at the back of their minds when they see the name, "Joswiak"? it's an odd sort of combo of Jobs and Wozniak. weird.... anyway. :)

JHankwitz

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2005
Wisconsin
This sets off so many red flags...

Apple need someone to enforce accountability. As much as I admire Cook, I'm not convinced he can do it.

How do you know that no one is being held accountable? This isn't a government agency, so it's very likely several people are in deep doo doo over it. It wouldn't be proper for Apple to publish who did it. I'm sure that HR will handle it appropriately.

----------

That's more of a reflection on the intelligence of this forum than on Apple.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
I wish Google would apologise for all their mistakes and instances of illegal collection/selling of our personal data/information.

People want to copy Apple. If you want to copy Apple you have to do the following:
- Be able to apologise for your mistakes
- Sell quality products at a high margin
- have decent post sales support
- etc etc

Just reverse engineering an iPhone and cloning it into a less expensive, worse, but similar looking phone is not copying all the good of Apple.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
This must of been important if it needed a international coverage, and what better place to apologize than on D :) (where you would get the most on stage)

No one realizes anymore a simple apology made in email or on website is all you have to do.

So Apple stuffed up,,,, its not the first time, and i'm sure their not the only ones here...

Why make a big public attention out of something they released an update and fixed ?

Maybe Apple should of also apologized about the iPhoto 9 that came out that no one could open it, then Apple pushed a 9.1 update within 24 hours.... but we never hear of THAT do we..

I like how Apple priorities their stuff :) It doesn't matter so much that you cannot open software "we" patched, but "we" will make an appearance over a iPhone update....

All gotta say is... :eek:

Last edited:

kemal

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2001
Nebraska
The way it was distributed: Perhaps the iP6/+ got a firmware with incorrect carrier bundles. Perhaps that also causes lockout of secure enclave.

iWatch cost: Gold - I continue to believe $3500. Stainless, $650

JHankwitz

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2005
Wisconsin
What charging issues did you have? I would only charge my Force every few days when it would show that it was low. I would charge it while I showered and shaved. Got ready for work and it would be about full. Charge it again during my evening shower and it was full charge. Not really a pain seeing as though i only had to do this once maybe twice a week if used it a lot.

Removing the electronics capsule from the band, inserting it into the charging fixture, plugging it in, removing it from the charger, figuring which end to insert first into the rubber band, then trying to align the tiny titties in the band to fasten it (UGH!). All this to count my steps and see if I slept overnight? After two weeks of screwing around with it, I tossed it in the garbage.

I have much higher hopes for the Apple Watch. Biggest feature for me is monitoring heart rate during aerobic exercise without having to wear a chest band.

0xyMoron

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2012
California
Sometimes the excuses Apple come up with convict them even more. How do you distribute Software to millions of people without further testing it first?

This reckless approach developed a new mentality among iOS users, no one wants to update their iDevice first without reading forums and checking reviews, it didn't used to be like that before iOS 7/8.

chirop

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2013
PHP:
According to Joswiak, Apple's goal isn't to sell the most iPhones, but to provide a better experience.

Wait what?

Dear Joswiak it's not aprils fools yet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.