Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lepton

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2002
Cold Spring Harbor, NY
And from what we know, the internals are the same whether you're buying the aluminum watch or the gold one. Basically you're paying more based on materials not specs/functionality.
As a total aside, the watch comes in two sizes - I'd like a smaller watch, but I'll get the bigger one because I imagine the watch size affects the battery size, and battery life might be iffy. So, go for the bigger battery.

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
Greg Joswiak...

...the guy who said the iPhone is definatly gonna be a BIG flop because it doesn't do flash and Apple is stupid because they don't support it.

Why did Apple hire this idiot?

The question is who is stupid here? It wasn't Greg Joswiak that came from Adobe, it was Kevin Lynch.

StyxMaker

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2010
Inside my head.
I miss my FitBit. Thinking of buying another one.. I need more news for this Apple Watch. How silly would i look wearing both!

I currently wear one of my wristwatches on my left wrist and my Up band on my right wrist. I'll probably continue that after I buy an Apple Watch. If for no other reason than to compare the two outputs.

gimikinc

macrumors regular
Sep 28, 2008
Bay Area
Distribution?

How does how it was distributed the root of the problem and software was not flawed....as a NEW version was released? Wouldn't you fix the download problem as the software was ok?

Williesleg

Cancelled
Oct 28, 2014
Bugs, bugs and more bugs

Anybody else notice how buggy Apple's software's been lately?

They once had a huge lead over everyone else, that's gone now.

Remember the first iPhone? Everybody still had buttons on their phones, no real apps, no real integration. Fast forward a bunch of years and that gap is gone.

Go ahead, read (or re-read) Steve Jobs' biography. I, like everyone else, would love to see Apple succeed, but they're no longer the hungry company they once were.

They're no longer making great products, instead, they're trying to maximize their profits and maximize their SKU's.

Biggest problem is people like Greg Joswiak, instead of shutting up and fixing HIS problem (and mark my words, it IS HIS problem, I don't care what the actual problem may have or may not have been), he's making lots of excuses.

Get to work Greg. Cut your salary and work double-time. The world has zoomed past you.

rGiskard

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2012
What are you talking about? Joswiak apologize for it. What he said seems to be factually correct as those who updated via iTunes didn't have the problems those who updated via OTA did. If it was a problem with the core software wouldn't everyone have had the same issues whether they updated via OTA or iTunes?

All he needed to do was say he would do what's needed to make sure it never happens again. Instead he dodged responsibility by blaming it on distribution. "Oh it was those other guys sorry about that" isn't taking responsibility, it's weasel words. Furthermore, if he isn't responsible then WhyTF is he apologizing?

Anyhow, I don't believe 8.0.1 was that big of an effup. The problem as I see it is the premature release of iOS 8. It's the buggiest heap of dung I've ever encountered from Apple. I love most of the changes and the new features are great, but it simply was not ready for release. The strategy is entirely different than it was under Jobs, who only released software when it was ready.*

*For the haters, I'm not saying Jobs only green-lighted perfect software. I'm saying he waited until it was out of beta testing. iOS 8 was released to meet a deadline instead of releasing it when it met a predefined standard.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
I think Tim would rather make a bigger deal out of this one like that U2 guy apologized for something Apple did.

michaelsviews

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2007
New England
What happened to a simple, "We ****ed up and we apologize. We won't let it happen again." ?

You don't really think these over paid managers or what ever there titles are would admit that they down right F'd up and Big Tim is watching there every move while he's eating his granola bar asking Why

Jeremy1026

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2007
How does how it was distributed the root of the problem and software was not flawed....as a NEW version was released? Wouldn't you fix the download problem as the software was ok?

No, because then the people that didn't know that they need to downgrade or know how to downgrade wouldn't be able to have a fully functional device until 8.1 released. Because even if the download problem was fixed, you wouldn't be able to upgrade as you'd already show that you have the latest version.

nutjob

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2010
Either Joswiak was trying to ameliorate the blame or he essentially said:

"Let me tell you what went wrong, even though we have thousands of the best employees, managers, equipment etc, we forgot to test the OTA updates of the OS."

The kool-aid drinking Apple apologists would obviously understand it as the former, the less blinkered would see it as the latter.

Last edited:

Tubamajuba

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2011
here
Either Joswiak was trying to ameliorate the blame or he was essentially said:

"Let me tell you what went wrong, even though we have thousands of the best employees, managers, equipment etc, we forgot to test the OTA updates of the OS."

The kool-aid drinking Apple apologists would obviously understand it as the former, the less blinkered would see it as the latter.

Give me proof that Apple forgot to test iOS 8.0.1 OTA. One single shred of proof.

And no, don't tell me "Duh, it didn't work". Unless you claim to know the entire process of creating and packaging updates, stop pretending to know what happened. It is possible to simultaneously state that iOS 8.0.1 was inexcusable, and also state that you do not know how it was released. So do yourself a favor and stop trying to pontificate when you have no more of a clue than anyone else.

nutjob

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2010
Give me proof that Apple forgot to test iOS 8.0.1 OTA. One single shred of proof.

And no, don't tell me "Duh, it didn't work". Unless you claim to know the entire process of creating and packaging updates, stop pretending to know what happened. It is possible to simultaneously state that iOS 8.0.1 was inexcusable, and also state that you do not know how it was released. So do yourself a favor and stop trying to pontificate when you have no more of a clue than anyone else.

By definition, the fact that it failed widely shows there was no, or insufficient testing. I don't need to know how it's packaged, all I need to know is that the end result failed. You seem to not understand what software testing is, or how its done, because what you say makes no sense. They can release it by sacrificing a goat, that doesn't excuse that end result didn't work, and that testing is supposed to avoid that problem.

Apple was in charge of the whole thing. It's amazing you think they can somehow avoid responsibility. It doesn't matter who did the packaging or what happened. There are always problems, that's why testing is done. If it's not done obvious errors get through.

The only other possibility is that they tested, it failed but they released it anyway. That also makes no sense.

Tubamajuba

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2011
here
By definition, the fact that it failed widely shows there was no, or insufficient testing. I don't need to know how it's packaged, all I need to know is that the end result failed. You seem to not understand what software testing is, or how its done, because what you say makes no sense. They can release it by sacrificing a goat, that doesn't excuse that end result didn't work, and that testing is supposed to avoid that problem.

Apple was in charge of the whole thing. It's amazing you think they can somehow avoid responsibility. It doesn't matter who did the packaging or what happened. There are always problems, that's why testing is done. If it's not done obvious errors get through.

The only other possibility is that they tested, it failed but they released it anyway. That also makes no sense.

Now, that's a good statement. I completely agree that insufficient testing was performed. They obviously test every piece of software that comes out of Cupertino, but they missed something really big with 8.0.1. Nothing excuses it, but the techie in me would really like to know exactly what went wrong, how it went wrong, and the steps that led to such an oversight happening in the first place.

And I don't know where you're reading that I or anyone else in this read, either explicitly stated or implied, said that Apple isn't responsible for the failed release of 8.0.1. It's Apple branded software that was made by Apple developers; it was never in question that Apple is solely responsible.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.