Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
It sounds like that is already here since Apple would have to remove security/privacy features and backdoor their phones for government access which would kill Apple's entire selling point for their products.
Many would not care, I can tell ya. Even if iPhone is Android in terms of security and privacy, tons of people still will upgrade regardless.

svish

macrumors G3
Nov 25, 2017
Will be really good if the bill is not passed. Seems like too much control or surveillance.

laptech

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2013
Earth
All you downvoters on my posts and those complaining about too much control or surveillance are utter hypocrites because you know full well if a loved one of yours got caught up in a terrorist incident or kidnapping or other devious acts you would be shouting to the high heavens to get that loved one out of harms way and be asking the security authorities that they do everything to get the loved one back, but wait, they cannot because electronic devices that was seized from the criminals are protected by heavy encryption and passwords that cannot be broken OR can be broken but would take a long time to crack, time the loved one would not have.

How many terrorist incidents could have been avoided if the security services could access locked and/or encrypted electronic devices? How many children could have been protected from child grooming gangs if the police were able to access electronic devices to see the groomers messaging each other and what they were messaging. How many kidnapped people would be alive today if the security services were able to intercept communications between and from the kidnappers.

Not everyone lives in the comfort of a safety bubble which seems to be the case for many in here who are against governments and security services doing all they can to protect our lives from those who wish to do us harm.

ric22

macrumors 68000
Mar 8, 2022
Do you mean, Apple can provide selective updates to UK at Apple’s sole discretion, without anyone compelling them to do so (or not)?
Not the way the UK appear to want it. They want preemptive approval of global updates.

ric22

macrumors 68000
Mar 8, 2022
It sounds like that is already here since Apple would have to remove security/privacy features and backdoor their phones for government access which would kill Apple's entire selling point for their products.
They haven't passed any legislation yet.

ric22

macrumors 68000
Mar 8, 2022
Will they? Apple it is today would have a much harder time finding alternative market to make up for lost revenue, unless UK government expel them for non-compliance.

Every single government wants to.

Don’t say “never happen” too soon. And big tech giants are capable of managing what government is managing today?
They can't let one government screw up their worldwide business and reputation... plus it would open the floodgates to meddling from every government! Apple would fight this stupidity with all their legal and financial might, and I see them winning.

In the unlikely even the Conservatives in the UK remain in power much longer, and somehow win the court cases related to this, then Apple would face a very difficult choice, but compliance would be worse than removing features from UK phones, or even than entirely withdrawing from the UK market.

cupcakes2000

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2010
All you downvoters on my posts and those complaining about too much control or surveillance are utter hypocrites because you know full well if a loved one of yours got caught up in a terrorist incident or kidnapping or other devious acts you would be shouting to the high heavens to get that loved one out of harms way and be asking the security authorities that they do everything to get the loved one back, but wait, they cannot because electronic devices that was seized from the criminals are protected by heavy encryption and passwords that cannot be broken OR can be broken but would take a long time to crack, time the loved one would not have.

How many terrorist incidents could have been avoided if the security services could access locked and/or encrypted electronic devices? How many children could have been protected from child grooming gangs if the police were able to access electronic devices to see the groomers messaging each other and what they were messaging. How many kidnapped people would be alive today if the security services were able to intercept communications between and from the kidnappers.

Not everyone lives in the comfort of a safety bubble which seems to be the case for many in here who are against governments and security services doing all they can to protect our lives from those who wish to do us harm.
The point is, is that once there is backdoors in to encryption, then this can be used for any purpose, regardless of what ‘whoever in change at the time’ said they would do with it. It’s irrelevant to place a hypothetical burden in front of the reality and say ‘what about?’

Do you think that if they put holes in encrypted consumer chat, like WhatsApp, for example - terrorists would continue to use WhatsApp? No. They wouldn’t. They would move underground to a chat client that hasn’t got any backdoors. But all the millions of normal people using WhatsApp would have all of their chats potentially opened to malicious scrutiny by whatever entity decided they would like to.

A backdoor is a backdoor. Anyone can go in or out.

Don’t fall for the propaganda that ‘it’s the only way to save the children’. It’s not the only way, and it’s not a good way. It’s simply a way to gain control over the population. That’s it. There would be more petty crime solved, for sure. But the cost is too great and there would be no terrorist plots foiled.

The only way to save the children is to be better at saving them instead of blaming everything else.

laptech

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2013
Earth
The point is, is that once there is backdoors in to encryption, then this can be used for any purpose, regardless of what ‘whoever in change at the time’ said they would do with it. It’s irrelevant to place a hypothetical burden in front of the reality and say ‘what about?’
There is no hypothetical burden as you put it. There have been numerous public inquires of the past 20 years into terrorist atrocities on UK soil, kidnappings resulting in death, child grooming gangs, drug gangs and all these public inquires have one thing in come, the inability of the police/security services to be able to do their job due to the inability to hack into encrypted devices of the criminals, not only so they can catch them in the act but also to provide evidence of their wrong doing.

cupcakes2000

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2010
@laptech : It is hypothetical.

Mostly the cases you’re referring to describe breaking into criminals digital safes after the fact.

You and these types of bill is talking about realtime hacking of encrypted chat, among other things.

To put billions of people’s private communications within the hands of whoever wants them (a backdoor); able to be tampered with, planted with evidence, used to stop dissent, ability to track and coerce, bribe and blackmail, the list is entirely endless. This is to much power, regardless of the propaganda of good intentions.

Not only that, but where does it end? We all safely use the internet DUE to encryption. Should the government be able to pick and choose who benefits from that? How about some poor guy with a family, on benefits, taking a little bit of money ‘on the side’. Perhaps the dhss just use the power to snoop when he logs on To his bank to prove guilt and gather evidence. Lock the criminal up, I say.

Nobody is denying that more crime could potentially be solved with a kind of backdoor. But it’s not a magic bullet, and it’s not a necessary factor into solving crimes, as evidenced by all of the solved crimes in history.

The potential for misuse is far far far greater.

Last edited:

SmugMaverick

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2017
UK
Also, they have terrible cheese.
Unlike the country that doesn't even know what cheese is when it's not out of a can.

UK has some of the best cheese in the World, 2nd to only France.

Cheddar, stilton, brie, goats, red, etc etc etc

Terrible food in general, really.
Indian, Chinese, seafood, Italian etc make up our most eaten food, Just because some British themed pub thinks bangers and mash is a national dish, doesn't mean it actually is.

Thread/ 🧐

darkpaw

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2007
London, England
Look at how the UK was arresting protesters, for the crime of peacefully protesting against the monarchy during the funeral of Queen Elizabeth II. UK has lost their minds trying to replicate Russia's tactics in dealing with peaceful protesters.
I think this was during the coronation of Big Ears, wasn't it?

cupcakes2000

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2010
British themed pub thinks bangers and mash is a national dish, doesn't mean it actually is.
Proper bangers and mash with a nice onion gravy is pretty epic, to be honest.

The big problem comes with just eating ‘anywhere’ and assuming it’s a slice of the food that the British hold dear. It’s not a case of us having bad food, it’s a case of us having terrible eateries.

Unless you choose correctly, then you’re choosing badly. It used to be easier, but now even the traditional pub has been successfully mimicked and ruined by a chain.

Reactions: SmugMaverick

ric22

macrumors 68000
Mar 8, 2022
Unlike the country that doesn't even know what cheese is when it's not out of a can.

Indian, Chinese, seafood, Italian etc make up our most eaten food, Just because some British themed pub thinks bangers and mash is a national dish, doesn't mean it actually is.

Thread/ 🧐
Well said. I was born I Britain but have spent most of my adult life overseas- while I don't miss the politics back home, I do miss the cheese, and the food available in a city like London is excellent- just because our national food is mostly boring doesn't mean we can't cook foreign food well!

Edit: I will say I grew up dreading eating out with my parents in England, because of their preference for bland traditional "pub food". Luckily for me, the one thing I could tolerate in pubs was steak, and my dad got sick of paying for me to have it. Haha. As soon as I left home and went to university I quickly discovered that I loved Italian food, Greek food, Turkish food, Chinese food, Japanese food, Thai food, Ethiopian food, etc... though having lived a couple of those places since, it's easy to get bored of too much from one country.

Jim Lahey

macrumors 68030
Apr 8, 2014
Nobody is denying that more crime could potentially be solved with a kind of backdoor. But it’s not a magic bullet, and it’s not a necessary factor into solving crimes, as evidenced by all of the solved crimes in history.

The potential for misuse is far far far greater.

But, but, but. But when cyber crime goes through the roof we can have a Digital ID and programmable money. Yay! But, but, but, when that is also hax0rzed we can beg government for more regulation and AI pre-crime. Go government!! Yay!!!

Rinse and repeat ad absurdum. I respect diversity of opinion, but these plans are so dangerous that it's really difficult not to feel that anyone still championing them needs to give their head a wobble.

• Angry
Reactions: Shirasaki and I7guy

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
They can't let one government screw up their worldwide business and reputation... plus it would open the floodgates to meddling from every government! Apple would fight this stupidity with all their legal and financial might, and I see them winning.

In the unlikely even the Conservatives in the UK remain in power much longer, and somehow win the court cases related to this, then Apple would face a very difficult choice, but compliance would be worse than removing features from UK phones, or even than entirely withdrawing from the UK market.
And for that I’m in full support of government forcing Apple to do things they don’t like to do, even though I also question the goal UK government tries to achieve here And their intention.

It is now the time for governments around the world to tell Apple collectively how they should do the business just like Chinese government told them several occasions in the past few years.

• Disagree
Reactions: I7guy and ric22

Motorola68000

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2022
UK always thinks it is exceptional...but never recognizes that we are really very (very) poor at executing any significant decision.

Whether that be to build HS2 (Train line), Horizon (Post Office IT), Aircraft Carriers, new Nuclear reactors or to leave the EU (Brexit) etc etc. All have gone badly wrong.

UK is broken right now. FWIW: it won't always be, but at this moment in history, we are absolutely on our knees.
As a Brit. No, Uk is ok at making significant decisions, but usually the wrong ones.

Now completing on those decisions is something else. Too many stuffed brown envelopes change hands.

• Angry
Reactions: Shirasaki and ric22

jarman92

macrumors 65816
Nov 13, 2014

Thread/ 🧐

Indian, Chinese, and Italian food are Indian, Chinese, and Italian. Just because you can buy those things in the UK doesn’t make them British food.

You can buy all those things and more—and, with the possible exception of Indian, far better—in the US, but the US also has amazing American food: barbecue, burgers, Tex-Mex, wings, lobster rolls, cheesesteaks, clam chowder, Cajun…there’s simply no comparison. Nor, to be fair, should there be, considering the relative sizes of the US and UK.

• Disagree
Reactions: ric22 and Shirasaki

ric22

macrumors 68000
Mar 8, 2022
Indian, Chinese, and Italian food are Indian, Chinese, and Italian. Just because you can buy those things in the UK doesn’t make them British food.

You can buy all those things and more—and, with the possible exception of Indian, far better—in the US, but the US also has amazing American food: barbecue, burgers, Tex-Mex, wings, lobster rolls, cheesesteaks, clam chowder, Cajun…there’s simply no comparison. Nor, to be fair, should there be, considering the relative sizes of the US and UK.
What makes American Chinese food "far better" than British Chinese food, in your humble opinion? 😅😅 You do realise that people that speak Mandarin or Cantonese ask Chinese restaurants outside of China to serve more traditional food that isn't adapted for foreign tastes, which kinda makes the comparison null and void. 🤷🏼‍♂️

cupcakes2000

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2010

All the foods you’re claiming as ‘American’ 😂 I expect you think the us invented pizza too.

bigchrisfgb

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2010
Why on earth would someone support such law.
Because our government have made up and hid behind the excuse that it’s going to protect us from terrorists, and children from predators, when it isn’t designed to do either of those, and has been called out by security experts by not doing either of those. Yet the media will feed you those headlines, meanwhile our government is happy to start selling your data to every single company who has a penny to their name.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.