Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mwd25

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2012
Tempe
This would be THE MOST POINTLESS feature ever, I hate watches with cellular radios, why? Whats the point? you look like an utter idiot talking into it, you can't hear anyone speaking back to you in noisy places, it's battery life will be even worst then it is now. It would also no doubt be thicker, unless they make the battery smaller!!

A smartwatch is supposed to be an extension of your smartphone, not replace it.

They have these things that came out, oh, about 14 years ago called a bluetooth ear peice. Pretty amazing, connects through wireless to your device. You should look into it.

Reactions: McCool71

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
I'm not sure the technology and battery life are there for a good cellular Apple watch yet. I would be happy to be proven wrong, but I don't see this happening any time soon. Unless Apple has a great surprise advancements up it's sleave technology-wise.

I would definitely buy one and leave my phone at home for many activities.

So you would be willing to pay for two cellular connections? iPhone + Apple Watch?
Just for those few times you could run out without the phone?
If it can't fully replace my smartphone why do I need LTE? The cost per year would be prohibitive.

big-ted

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2013
UK
Guess this is Apple trying a simcard less device, no popping in a cheap local sim when you cross the border

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
They have these things that came out, oh, about 14 years ago called a bluetooth ear peice. Pretty amazing, connects through wireless to your device. You should look into it.

Reeeaaaalllllyyyyyy and tell me, just WHEN did you last see people walking around wearing bluetooth headsets then? I think taxi drivers use them so I'll give you that, are you a taxi driver?

Your solution is also stupid, you are saying why not use cellular on your tiny watch, then use bluetooth too to connect a headset to it at the same time! Wow, what's your target for battery life? An hour?

Reactions: Flow39

rigormortis

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2009
The Timex ironman one GPS+ watch came out roughly the same time as the Apple Watch. It sold for 499 before dropping to around $250. It came with a free AT&T data plan for a whole year. After the first year the data plan was $40 a year. I think you guys are jumping the gun worrying that it will be $5 or $10 a month. I'm hoping for a free T-Mobile plan. Also a watch wouldn't need LTE. They could go with HSPDA. It would need to connect to all 4 carriers though.

Ever since watch os 2 came out you could do more on an Apple Watch with its companion iPhone turned off and left for dead because of known wifi networks. Yet I still see posts that think once you are out of Bluetooth range you can't use your watch at all.

If the next version of iOS / watch os supported sms messaging with wifi calling that would improve the watch. I've already noticed that I no longer need my iPhone on and on range of the watch for dictation to work.

Last edited:

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
Try reading my reply again.

No such presumption or knowledge is implied. :rolleyes:
Is this not what you wrote in reply to irfuel's quote?
If not, the current battery life is perfectly adequate for your needs.
If no such knowledge of irfuel is presumed or implied, how can you know the current battery life is perfectly adequate for his/her needs?
Maybe you should ready your reply again as well. Just sayin'.

GSPice

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2008
Or maybe not as there are allready offers available that share one data plan over 2 devices.
Perfect solution would be 2 devices on just 1 celluar number, so one would get calls on the watch if the phone isn't near.

Maybe the carriers got this ready in advance?

http://www.cnet.com/news/t-mobile-and-sprint-to-allow-one-phone-number-for-multiple-devices/

I'd think that at any given moment the data I'd consume via my watch would mostly be data I wouldn't consume via my phone (and vice versa), so an increase in cumulative data usage would be marginal.

That, and would the Apple Watch consume that much data on its own anyway?
:: prepares to eat words in 4 years ::

rigormortis

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2009
People who complain that the Apple Watch needs cellular because wifi isnt everywhere and that you have to carry your iPhone with you are the same people that tell us not to buy cellular enabled iPads because they can always tether their iPhone and wifi is everywhere. It's a loop.

rp2011

macrumors 68020
Oct 12, 2010
So you would be willing to pay for two cellular connections? iPhone + Apple Watch?
Just for those few times you could run out without the phone?
If it can't fully replace my smartphone why do I need LTE? The cost per year would be prohibitive.
Well I have a Family plan, and if its like a tablet where it costs $10 extra a month, yeah sure.

StyxMaker

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2010
Inside my head.
Burns my eyes looking at this abomination.
[doublepost=1461596482][/doublepost]
I only need it to be round. I could not care less about everything else.

You can argue that you want it to be round because you prefer round watches. You can't argue that it has to be round because it's a watch. Watch manufacturers have been making square watches as long as they've been making round watches.

MortalWombat UK

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2008
GPS capability is far more important than cellular, don't know why this article suggests that cellular capability would enable GPS function, (I am quite aware that aGPS uses cell towers to aid triangulation, but you don't need cellular capability for accurate GPS... ask Garmin).

Also phone batteries die quicker in big cities, ever wonder why? Oh yeah, searching for cell signal when going in and out of subways or between tall buildings. This is what eats your battery so quickly. One way to really kill the watch would be to further cripple it's already questionable battery life by adding cellular capability.

If Apple truly are contemplating cellular as a priority function, they need their heads read...

Reactions: apolloa

Little Endian

macrumors 6502a
Apr 9, 2003
Honolulu
cellular connectivity will be reality and is a must for Apple watch and other wearables to become must have items. Battery life and processing power issues will be worked out in the next 1-3 years. There is a lot of tweaking that can happen to make cellular connectivity a working and livable reality. Apple watch is currently on 28nm for its S1 processor. Subsequent generations will get us down to 14nm then 10nm and possibly even 8nm. Die shrinks with improved cell, GPS radios, software, and battery designs will get us there.

I would never use a cellular connected watch as a primary tool for phone calls but it would be great life saver in certain situations where your phone battery is dead or your phone is not within reach. Think emergency situations. I would also like a waterproof Apple watch that I can go swimming or surfing with. It would be a dream come true if I could still get texts and other important info while out surfing at the beach or swimming in the pool. A cellular connected watch would also be great if you need to find your phone if it is outside of Bluetooth wifi range.

Reactions: koigirl

Jaro65

macrumors 68040
Mar 27, 2009
Seattle, WA
The battery required for adding a GPS/cellular connection will be the limiting factor. Can't see it happening for a few years yet. They may be working on it, but not yet. Jony Ive probably has a wearable battery pack that is truly stunning to go along with it.

Stunning for now. Though it may become "revolutionary" if Apple were to ever productize it.

kdarling

macrumors P6
A round smartwatch makes as much sense as a round smartphone.

People who make such comments should be put on a master list, and never allowed to buy a round Apple Watch... even after they change their mind because Apple said it was now okay! :D

This is just like the "I don't know why anyone would buy an iPhone with a larger screen" ridiculousness. You'd think that people would learn from history after a while.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
Maybe they could include a battery that lasts longer than 1.5 days

Yep... 1.5 days means you still have to charge it every night... or else you have a dead watch by 1pm the next day.

You honestly need want a watch that can last 2.5 days to guarantee it will last 2 full days.

So you are basically asking Apple to double battery capacity... or to halve power consumption.

I'm not sure we're there yet!

Last edited:

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
Who is gonna pay monthly just to give their watch a cellular connection? That's barmy. They just need to make it connect to WiFi in a way which isn't horribly sketchy and prone to drop outs.
[doublepost=1461614898][/doublepost]
A round smartwatch makes as much sense as a round smartphone.

The irony in your comment. The Apple Watch should have been round from the get-go, Apple following the crowd has been the single biggest issue with the Apple Watch since the start.

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
I dont know that I agree with that at all. Was the Ipod released too soon. I dont think you would find anyone who would say yes. You say the Iphone was too soon but I think your the only one making that claim. When a product essentially revolutionizes the market, was it too soon to be released??? I would say no.
Who claims Ipad was released too soon. I would say it hit at the perfect time.

Now, do people like the watch? Yes. Has it sold a ton? Yes. Was it a revolutionary product for smart watches? No. I know I dont speak for everyone, thats why I said, for me, it just wasnt a compelling product. Was the IPhone when it came out? Damn right it was. When I heard about this thing called a IPod that would hold your whole music collection in your pocket, was that compelling? Did I want one? Hell yeah. IWatch was announced and I thought, Meh. Who cares, I still need to carry my phone around with me. Why bother. Mind you, I concede Im not everyone. Had they announced the IWatch as something that you didnt have to have your phone with you, even if it took longer to release it, I would have thought.....WOW, that is cool, I want one, Apple has come up with another awesome product that no one else has anything even close........instead of, Meh.

No, I was using your "too soon" characterization as many people proclaimed the original iPhone was a flop because of poor performance and features, and with that drew an analogy to the same thing I'm hearing about the Watch. That's not my view, though.

The Watch is an accessory, rather than a flagship product like the iPhone. However, both started off life lacking to some. Like the iPhone and the MacBook Air, the watch will similarly evolve as technology improves and becomes available. That's just the way Apple works.

The Watch may not be for you, but for many others, including myself, it has become indispensable.

StyxMaker

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2010
Inside my head.
It's kind of hard not to speak awkwardly into it though. I mean, you're talking to your wrist in public. It's going to attract attention, and if it's quiet enough, everyone will hear your phone call. Or, you'll be yelling at your wrist if it's too loud. I don't see how to make it not awkward :D

Making it not awkward; use a Bluetooth earpiece, or dress like a Secret Service Agent and talk to your shirt cuff.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.