Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kstotlani

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2006
So you're getting an Apple Watch in 3 years? Have fun waiting :cool:

18 hours is more than reasonable. How many hours a day are you awake? If you sleep just 6 hours, the other 18 hours of the day, you can have the Watch on.

Take it off at night, put it on in the morning. 18 hours is a very comfortable margin for regular use without having to ever worry about the battery.

18 hours is reasonable if you didn't want sleep tracking. Apple doesn't have sleep tracking in the watch yet. If they had sleep tracking then 18 hours is not adequate. Also each battery has 500 cycles of charging that means you will need a battery replacement in less than 18 months. When a company says typical usage it means that your real world battery time would definitely be less than 18 hours. I am guessing the watch would get 12 hours on a single charge.

foodog

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2006
Atlanta, GA
Yes, that is exactly what I want to do. But why is the music then coming from the Watch and not from the phone? The Watch could serve simply as the control device while the music is streamed from the phone via Bluetooth. I REALLY hope that scenario will work, as that is one of my top 5 use cases for the Watch.

Yea that is a strange... I had the same thought... I just assume the watch is the manipulator but the BT headphone still connects to the phone.

cambox

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2010
omnipresent
I will keep with my Breitling thanks! Now where the hell is the replacement for the Thunderbolt display eh? Come on Apple you really are taking the biscuit here!

foodog

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2006
Atlanta, GA
18 hours is reasonable if you didn't want sleep tracking. Apple doesn't have sleep tracking in the watch yet. If they had sleep tracking then 18 hours is not adequate. Also each battery has 500 cycles of charging that means you will need a battery replacement in less than 18 months. When a company says typical usage it means that your real world battery time would definitely be less than 18 hours. I am guessing the watch would get 12 hours on a single charge.

I'm waiting for someone to tear it down and report on the difficulty of battery replacement.

ncstatered21

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2010
Anyone find the water resistance rating?

**Apple Watch is splash and water resistant but not waterproof. You can, for example, wear and use Apple Watch during exercise, in the rain, and while washing your hands, but submerging Apple Watch is not recommended. Apple Watch has a water resistance rating of IPX7 under IEC standard 60529. The leather bands are not water resistant."

http://store.apple.com/us/buy-watch/apple-watch-sport?product=MJ2T2LL/A&step=detail#

Right below features.

peteo

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2007
Dam, I was hoping that apple would be able to get a 15 min fast charge mode in the watch like the MotoX has. 15 mins for 8 hours worth of time.

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
That's not as bad as predicted and it sounds like I will be able to get a good days mountain biking out of it while fitness tracking.

I'm still waiting for the real world tests though. :)

MentalFloss

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2012
18 hours is reasonable if you didn't want sleep tracking. Apple doesn't have sleep tracking in the watch yet. If they had sleep tracking then 18 hours is not adequate.

Out of curiosity, if the Watch had sleep tracking, when would you actually ever charge it? You'd wear it at night for sleep tracking and during the day for timekeeping, notifications, etc. People are asking for water resistance, so you wouldn't even take it off when you take a shower. So when would you attach it to the charger?

I am not trying to applefanboyishly claim "They didn't give it sleep tracking so you can charge it!" But I guess at some point you HAVE to take it off, and the most obvious time for that is the night. Or if it had a three day battery life, would people accept to skip sleep tracking every third night?

iBug2

macrumors 601
Jun 12, 2005

18 hours is more than reasonable. How many hours a day are you awake? If you sleep just 6 hours, the other 18 hours of the day, you can have the Watch on.

Take it off at night, put it on in the morning. 18 hours is a very comfortable margin for regular use without having to ever worry about the battery.

Maybe he's gonna wait for other stuff, not battery life. Like I will.

peteo

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2007
**Apple Watch is splash and water resistant but not waterproof. You can, for example, wear and use Apple Watch during exercise, in the rain, and while washing your hands, but submerging Apple Watch is not recommended. Apple Watch has a water resistance rating of IPX7 under IEC standard 60529. The leather bands are not water resistant."

http://store.apple.com/us/buy-watch/apple-watch-sport?product=MJ2T2LL/A&step=detail#

Right below features.

Thats odd. TC said he showered with his which seems like it would get way more wet than rain, or washing hands

ChazSch

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2014
Rancho Santa Margarita, CA
No, because people over 40 have enough maturity and common sense to know this watch is useless out of the box.
The specs cited are extremely unrealistic, as is the price.

Apple's slide to obscurity begins in 3...2.....1...

and again, that is YOUR opinion. Apple is rising into legendary...1,2,3....

seriously, why such a sourpuss about this? If you don't like it, don't buy it and stop bad mouthing something you haven't seen in person and probably will end up buying on the download anyway

RooooG

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2012

I'd like to know where you're getting that 500 cycles figure from, as it's not necessary to replace an iPhone or MacBook battery every 18 months.

clukas

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2010

I work as a Pilot, as such I work very long days, often 12 hours + not including commuting and home time. As such 18 hours, would be just enough. Apart from that, there are many features we know apple wanted to implement but could not for technical reasons, this means that unless you want to splash out more money when the next generation comes out, waiting is reasonable, unless you're dying to get this one. Im not. I will buy it when it makes sense for me.

I4u

macrumors newbie
Sep 6, 2013
I'll Pass

$449 for a Band ...is this even real? awh c'mon apple ..

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
That's much better than I was expecting.

I am still concerned about skin oil and dirt getting in the charger port.

EDIT: port was the wrong word, but I'm worried about grime on the magnetic sensor. Probably it makes no difference, but it's still something I thought about.

I haven't seen any grime on my magsafe connnector but I've seen some users with disgusting ones, so you do have a valid concern here. Plus, people put lotion on their hands/arms.

However since it is a smooth surface, you just need to remember to wipe the surface every once in a while. I'm sure there'll be an app to remind you to do this.

I'm confused... How does "talk time" relate to the Apple Watch? I thought the device just alerts you to incoming calls. Why is the watch's battery life so affected when you're talking on your phone?

1. Siri? You can use Siri to dictate your messages and/or send audio messages.
2. You can talk on the watch, it's one of the geekiest moments that Cook had in the event.

And it's 18 hours of various uses, not 18 hours straight time-watching. Apple said 48 hours for time-watching and there's 72 hours of power reserve.

They've detailed the hours here: http://www.apple.com/watch/battery.html

For me, I'd like to have a watch that wakes me up in the morning. I cannot use a sound alarm, so a vibrating one on your watch works much better.

Nope. Most likely every 5 years. However it's upgradable.

Huh? Apple Watch isn't upgradable, Apple didn't say anything about this.

What is power reserve?

If your battery gets too low, Apple Watch automatically switches into Power Reserve mode so you can continue to see the time for up to 72 hours

So you're waiting for a device with infinite battery life?

2-3 days is good enough for me.

Apple is far better than most companies when listing battery times and for casual uses, they're fairly accurate.

You can see their battery tests here: http://www.apple.com/watch/battery.html

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.