Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
Seven hours working out is much better. Looks like this thing may be good for an all day battery.

definitive

macrumors 68020
Aug 4, 2008
have fun testing apple's watch, and spending $350+ every year for an extra hour of battery life.

Recognition

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2013
I imagine a tremendous market for third-party guilding treatments on the stainless model.

Now that's not a bad idea!

The missus wanted the Rose gold watch, but a quick look on the store shows it's going to cost £13,500...

So that's a no!

Maybe the sport model, gold plated will suffice?!

Popeye206

macrumors 68040
Sep 6, 2007
NE PA USA
who in their right mind is gonna have a private conversation out in public like that tho? thats just rude

Walking in a daze texting, or texting over dinner is not?

Remember the Push To Talk phones? Like a walkie talkie feature... I remember when that was a big deal... for about 1 year. Saw this guy in WalMart using it to shop with his wife... it was sooooo ridiculous!

And... so will be people doing Dick Tracy on their Apple Watch.

BTW... I am going to check them out. I'm on the fence as to get one. I for one, does not like taking my phone out all the time for quick things.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    54.5 KB · Views: 125

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
Now that's not a bad idea!

The missus wanted the Rose gold watch, but a quick look on the store shows it's going to cost £13,500...

So that's a no!

Maybe the sport model, gold plated will suffice?!

Buy a SS and say it's white gold ;)

mspman

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2007
Minneapolis, MN
I will keep with my Breitling thanks! Now where the hell is the replacement for the Thunderbolt display eh? Come on Apple you really are taking the biscuit here!

I’m glad that a fellow Breitling owner is speaking up. These watches are ridiculous. I can see having extra special features that may push the price to $1k. But there is no possible way that a gold/ceramic digital watch is $10k+. That’s just absurd. I got my first Breitling before the iPhone came out. Can you imagine trying to use the original iPhone now? Gimme a break, these Edition watches won’t last more than a few years at most, just like every other electronics product made today. My Breitling still keeps perfect time to 1/8th of a second years after I bought it. My children will get my watches when I pass, but not my iPhones. :)

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
$449 for a Band ...is this even real? awh c'mon apple ..

Why would you expect it to be cheaper? It's Apple after all and Link Bracelet is a luxury accessory, of course it is going to be expensive.

SMIDG3T

Suspended
Apr 29, 2012
England
It's this simple. If Tim Cook can manage the battery life, we all can. He has, by far, a more productive life than all of us here.

Stop complaining. It's impressive considering how much it does and how small the battery is.

fredf

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2008
So you're getting an Apple Watch in 3 years? Have fun waiting :cool:

18 hours is more than reasonable. How many hours a day are you awake? If you sleep just 6 hours, the other 18 hours of the day, you can have the Watch on.

Take it off at night, put it on in the morning. 18 hours is a very comfortable margin for regular use without having to ever worry about the battery.

'More than reasonable'? I think not.
I was all in until the 18 hr battery life.

What if you take a vacation...wear your watch all day, get on the plane and then when you arrive you have to plug your watch in while you go out sightseeing?

Have you never done an all-nighter at work or school?

Of even if it's not an all-nighter... how about you stay out late at a friend's?
Sure, usually 18 hours will get your through. But don't forget it goes into restricted mode at some point and only functions as a timepiece. Is that at 16 hours?

And what about battery anxiety? Watching the battery run down and it's 8 pm and you're about to go out...do you become afraid to use 'notifications' lest your watch go dead?

Not for me. Not until there is a guarantee of at least 24 hours.

MentalFloss

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2012
have fun testing apple's watch, and spending $350+ every year for an extra hour of battery life.

Actually, I will have fun using it, while you have fun waiting. I remember being called a "beta tester" when I bought the first iPhone. Strangely, I didn't have the problems that people had predicted.

Poochi

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2010
Toronto
18 hours is better than I thought....although if you're using it for a fitness/sleep tracker you'll have to have it off during some period while its charged. (wonder how much charging can get done while you're in the shower?)

That's why you need 2 Apple Watches... 1 for day use, and 1 for night time tracking. Problem solved.

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010
What I don't get: The Watch always has to be paired to an iPhone, i.e. I always have an iPhone with me. So why would I use the Watch for music playback via Bluetooth, when I can do that from my iPhone for hours and hours?

My wife doesn't wear pants or pockets much. She carries her phone in her purse. I'm always frustrated when she's at home and I call her but she doesn't answer because she doesn't carry her purse around everywhere. With the Apple Watch that shouldn't be a problem.

Same goes for music playback. She works out a lot and it's much easier for her to control her music with a device attached to her wrist than having to stop her workout and dig through her purse to change the music on the phone.

A phone is great to have but it isn't the most convenient method for everything. Especially since the whole industry has gone to phones the size of small tablets almost.

Poochi

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2010
Toronto
'More than reasonable'? I think not.
I was all in until the 18 hr battery life.

What if you take a vacation...wear your watch all day, get on the plane and then when you arrive you have to plug your watch in while you go out sightseeing?

Have you never done an all-nighter at work or school?

Of even if it's not an all-nighter... how about you stay out late at a friend's?
Sure, usually 18 hours will get your through. But don't forget it goes into restricted mode at some point and only functions as a timepiece. Is that at 16 hours?

And what about battery anxiety? Watching the battery run down and it's 8 pm and you're about to go out...do you become afraid to use 'notifications' lest your watch go dead?

Not for me. Not until there is a guarantee of at least 24 hours.

I would "prefer" a battery that lasts at least a month. Or... at the very least 1 week.

But then again, if you travel a lot, you need 2 watches and carry a few battery packs.

nutjob

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2010
So when you forget to charge it, it turns into a "weight band" for working out your forearms. (It won't work as a door stop.)

NorEaster

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2012
and again, that is YOUR opinion. Apple is rising into legendary...1,2,3....

seriously, why such a sourpuss about this? If you don't like it, don't buy it and stop bad mouthing something you haven't seen in person and probably will end up buying on the download anyway

...The same can be said about posters who like to bash anything that doesn't have an Apple logo on it.

So when someone badmouths an Android, MS, Blackberry, or non-Apple device, can you please also post your above comments to them?

nutjob

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2010
My wife doesn't wear pants or pockets much. She carries her phone in her purse. I'm always frustrated when she's at home and I call her but she doesn't answer because she doesn't carry her purse around everywhere. With the Apple Watch that shouldn't be a problem.

Same goes for music playback. She works out a lot and it's much easier for her to control her music with a device attached to her wrist than having to stop her workout and dig through her purse to change the music on the phone.

A phone is great to have but it isn't the most convenient method for everything. Especially since the whole industry has gone to phones the size of small tablets almost.

There are other solutions to this problem than a $350 watch. You're reaching.

avanpelt

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
After months of being underwhelmed, I thought perhaps the marketing machine could've finally gotten me excited about the Apple Watch during today's keynote. Alas, it didn't happen.

I think the thing that keeps me from being enthused about the watch is that it doesn't seem to do a single thing that my iPhone 6 can't already do well. In fact, my iPhone 6 does a lot of things better than the Apple Watch, in my opinion. Being able to request an Uber my watch? That's nice and all, but I'd personally rather do that on my phone so I can have the full app experience and not an experience designed for a much smaller screen.

As for notifications, I've been spending the better part of the last several months slowly getting rid of "junk" notifications on my iPhone that aren't important and don't do anything but distract me from life. I'm sure the Apple Watch is very customizable in terms of the notifications it interrupts you with; but I'm just not convinced that I need or want yet another screen in my life.

The nice thing about the iPhone is that if I truly don't want to be distracted, I purposely leave it sitting on my nightstand while I'm doing things around the house or outside. Sure, I could do the same thing with the Apple Watch; but isn't a watch designed to be worn?

If I don't look at my phone for several hours, I don't feel like I wasted money by buying the phone. On the other hand, if I left my Apple Watch sitting on a nightstand for several hours on a consistent basis, I think I would feel like it was a waste of several hundred dollars because obviously, Apple has designed the thing with the intention that it will be worn often.

Taking calls on your Apple Watch? We think we want Dick Tracy technology until we think about the jerk we've all seen and heard who insists on taking calls on speakerphone in public so everyone around them can hear both sides of the conversation.

It will be interesting to hear the Apple Watch sales numbers at WWDC. I'm sure Apple hopes that the initial sales numbers will be high enough to encourage more developers to jump on board with WatchKit. We'll see what happens.

fredf

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2008
Seven hours with the heart rate sensor on? Nice, I thought it would be a battery hog. Can't wait to see the 3rd party running apps. (I noticed the Nike+ Running App on the Watch App Store during the keynote)

I have to run with my phone anyway because of Spotify so that's the GPS already sorted. The Apple Watch could replace a lot of people's Garmins + heart rate strap, depending on functionality in the apps.

Well, not so fast. I tried the Fitbit Charge HR with continuous heart rate monitor. It has notification and heart rate. But the heart rate monitor is not very accurate at high rates because the LED is not very powerful (to cut down on battery usage)...although it's fine at lower heart rates

The Mio Fuse has a stronger LED and is very accurate but can only do continuous heart rate monitoring for something like 4-6 before running dead. And it has no notifications function.

I would think that the iWatch has a tiny LED monitor and, therefore, will not be an accurate heart rate monitor for a true workout.

And, then Apple will say 'but who needs to monitor heart rate during a workout. We gave people what we know they wanted'. Isn't that the mantra, if Apple can't do it then you really don't need it.

But, we'll have to wait and see.

Recognition

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2013
who in their right mind is gonna have a private conversation out in public like that tho? thats just rude

I would definitely use this feature, not in public, but at work.
I'm an engineer so being able to talk on the phone to colleagues, hands free while I work on site without the risk of dropping my phone whilst at the top of some ladders will be of great benefit, to me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.