Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Aluminum213

macrumors 68040
Mar 16, 2012
Despite everyone that has Apple Macs, iPhones, and iPads, AppleTV's, and iPods, and their attractive stores filled with employees in t-shirts, Apple is still considered a high end, one might possibly even say, "luxury" brand.

LG is not.

When even homeless people are seen with iPhones, apple isn't a luxury brand

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
No kidding? We purchased one for our oldest son last Christmas. He was obsessed with it. Knew many people who swore by them. I'm still old school. Although my Sky Hawk has the Eco Drive, and a radio time/day/date/year receiver. Although my wife shows interest in the Apple watch, myself and our 3 sons (not "My Three Sons.") seem distracted by it. I don't know how I feel about that, given between us we have owned every product manufactured by Apple since 1989. :apple:

The Eco Drives are nice watches, I bought one for my wife for Christmas a year ago. I've worn Casios/G-Shocks for a long time. They have been quite rugged and dependable. Soaked in gasoline? No problem. I like the Tough Solar as it syncs every night with the Atomic Clock in Denver so the time is always spot on. Granted it's a casual watch, but there is never a thought about ruining it. The resin bands are impervious to just about everything. I would love to see a smart watch with this kind of durability.

I honestly have to see what the Apple Watch looks like in person and what it actually does before I can make a judgement if I will find it worthwhile or not. I'm not impressed by it's looks from the pictures I have seen.

Last edited:

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
I he Eco Drives are nice watches, I bought one for my wife for Christmas a year ago. I've worn Casios/G-Shocks for a long time. They have been quite rugged and dependable. Soaked in gasoline? No problem. I like the Tough Solar as it syncs every night with the Atomic Clock in Denver so the time is always spot on. Granted it's a casual watch, but there is never a thought about ruining it. The resin bands are impervious to just about everything. I would love to see a smart watch with this kind of durability.

I honestly have to see what the Apple Watch looks like in person and what it actually does before I can make a judgement if I will find it worthwhile or not. I'm not impressed by it's looks from the pictures I have seen.

It's not gasoline proof. Just fyi...

rjlawrencejr

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2007
LA/OC/IE
Took a good look at the gallery of photos

I took a good look at the gallery of photos supplied by LG. It's a nice looking watch; but isn't it supposed to be more than a watch? My problem is with LG only showing the classic timeface in their marketing materials. Why not show some images of the Android Wear OS? After all, isn't that the main reason for the wearable device?

Many of you may not like Apple's entry, but at least their marketing materials show the device as more than simply a watch.

kds1

Suspended
Feb 17, 2013
New York, New York
I guess we will see how many $5,000 gold ones they sell. That should be pocket change for the average Apple customer if they are truly a company that targets the highest socio-economic groups.

Look I understand your point, but it's a false perception. That's all I am saying.

Apple is considered high end. That's all I'm saying. It's expensive, well made, and attractive.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
I took a good look at the gallery of photos supplied by LG. It's a nice looking watch; but isn't it supposed to be more than a watch? My problem is with LG only showing the classic timeface in their marketing materials. Why not show some images of the Android Wear OS? After all, isn't that the main reason for the wearable device?

Many of you may not like Apple's entry, but at least their marketing materials show the device as more than simply a watch.

Like this? http://www.lg.com/us/smart-watches/lg-W110-g-watch-r

A MacBook lover

Suspended
May 22, 2009
D.C.
Apple watch project supposedly started after Jobs died. How long ago was that? How many companies are currently selling smart watches? How many has Apple sold? You're right, the other companies read MR and brought a watch to market years before Apple. It probably only took them a couple of weeks to go from drawing board to the store shelves, all because Apple was rumored to be working on a watch. That's why Toyota came out with the Prius, due to the rumors of an Apple car.

The amount of anti-apple in here, lol.

Last edited:

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Wrong, everyone else is following Apple. WSJ announced THREE YEARS ago that Apple was working on a wearable and everyone tried to rush manufacturer their own.

A rumor is not an announcement.

Read up on your history of smart watches.

Learn more about the R&D and production process for bringing a product to market.

Not wrong.

Again - why do people insist that other companies couldn't possible be working on similar projects as Apple at the same time.

poppy10

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2012
UK
Got to admit this looks far more stylish than the :apple:watch. We'll see what the performance is like, but design is far more important for a watch than a phone or a tablet - it will spend most of its time switched off, it needs to look good. I wouldn't be embarrassed to wear this.

A MacBook lover

Suspended
May 22, 2009
D.C.

Learn more about the R&D and production process for bringing a product to market.

Not wrong.

Again - why do people insist that other companies couldn't possible be working on similar projects as Apple at the same time.

I guess they followed the mp3, smartphone, and tablet industry - right? Definitely not leading those categories, lol.

pickaxe

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2012
Here's an Apple Kool-Aid test. Can you admit that this looks more attractive than the Apple Watch? No? You're an Apple Kool-Aid drinker!

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Thank you, but I was speaking specifically to their latest announcement. Right now they're only showing it as a "luxury" watch.

Fair enough. But Android Wear looks the same pretty much across devices. Apple had to showcase their OS because the Apple Watch is the only watch that uses it's OS.

I am sure more visuals will come out. I would imagine LG thinks simply that people who are in the market for Android Wear knows what it looks like. It's better to show it as a "classy" time piece.

----------

I guess they followed the mp3, smartphone, and tablet industry - right? Definitely not leading those categories, lol.

There's little point in discussing something like this when you fail to understand history. Have a lovely day.

UAV

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2015
Wrong, everyone else is following Apple. WSJ announced THREE YEARS ago that Apple was working on a wearable and everyone tried to rush manufacturer their own.

lol.. thinking about something and actually bringing it to market are 2 totally different things. sure apple may have been working on it. but the simple fact that they were not the first to bring to the market voids that they were actually first. hell i have been thinking about a smartphone and virtural reality way back in 70's but i never brought it to market. does that mean apple is following me?

whats next? when apple comes out with it's new car. are you gonna say ford and all the other car mfg's are copying apple because apple was thinking of it first. lol...

rjlawrencejr

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2007
LA/OC/IE

Not wrong.

I think you're right. It only makes sense that companies began to look at the wrist as the "next frontier." However, I do believe they truncated their timetables in hopes of beating Apple to the market. While other's products might equal or exceed Apple's on any number of levels, none can compete with the Apple marketing machine.

A MacBook lover

Suspended
May 22, 2009
D.C.
lol.. thinking about something and actually bringing it to market are 2 totally different things. sure apple may have been working on it. but the simple fact that they were not the first to bring to the market voids that they were actually first. hell i have been thinking about a smartphone and virtural reality way back in 70's but i never brought it to market. does that mean apple is following me?

Valid point, being first doesn't matter. What matters is making the best possible product, not the fastest to market.

iSee

macrumors 68040
Oct 25, 2004
Why would anyone be embarrassed by wearing a smart watch?

What you wear communicates something about yourself to the world. In the middle class you get to choose many aspects of what you wear, so it's even more revealing. Choosing a large, ugly smart watch built to a feature list says something about it wearer.

Now, I might wear such a watch anyway because I really want some feature, like notifications, etc. But I'd be a little embarrassed about some of what it communicates to people about me.

I'd have to see this watch in real life -- some of these look a lot worse on a wrist than they do in person, but I don't think I'd object to what wearing this watch would communicate about myself.

tonyy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2011
Dallas
The amount of phandroids in here, lol.

It goes both ways. I've been a huge Apple fan since forever and anti-Android just as long.

The way certain Apple enthusiasts have been treating the Apple Watch like the second coming is embarassing.

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
Apple is considered high end. That's all I'm saying. It's expensive, well made, and attractive.

It's well made and attractive, but I wouldn't call it expensive. A $100,000 TV is expensive. An $80,000 Cadillac Escalade is expensive. An iPhone on contract for $199-299 or a $349.00 watch (likely by far their best seller) is not expensive. That's all I am saying. I don't fool myself when it comes to luxury. If I can afford it on my lower middle class salary it's not luxury.

I think we just define luxury a little different, but I can't say carrying my Apple stuff around with me has ever made me feel wealthy.

Dmunjal

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2010
But there are problems: functionality/power vs Apple Watch, developer support (we'll see)

Developer support?

Android Wear has a dedicated store with hundreds of applications available today with more being added every day.

A MacBook lover

Suspended
May 22, 2009
D.C.
It goes both ways. I've been a huge Apple fan since forever and anti-Android just as long.

The way certain Apple enthusiasts have been treating the Apple Watch like the second coming is embarassing.

They are probably excited for a product from a company with a history of great products. Reserving judgement until I actually see it myself

winston1236

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010
Um...

You might be a tad out of touch, I think.

If I could buy more Apple products, I would. But I'm using my vintage (almost obsolete) Macs because I can't afford to replace them. I won't be getting the first Apple Watch because I can't afford one. I do have the latest and greatest iPhone, but I skipped several generations because I didn't have the money to buy the other ones.

Not trying to hurt your feelings so don't take it so personal but anything made in China and sold in Walmart isn't luxury. Apple's bottom line depends on the masses buying their product, not a select few able to afford it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.