Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pgiguere1

macrumors 68020
May 28, 2009
Montreal, Canada
Looks pretty good in press renders, but I'll wait until I see real pictures before making a final judgement.

The G Watch R press pictures looked pretty good too, and look how it turned out.

Expectations:
lg-shirt.0.jpg

Reality:
DSC08973.0.0.jpg

kdarling

macrumors P6
Thanks for the update on the opposition, but this is not a competitor to the  WATCH. Now, if it ran on iOS, then I would have to agree.

This. It's not competition unless it works with an iPhone. Just as the Apple Watch does not compete with watches that only work with Android / Windows phones.

The only competition is Pebble Watch, and the Alcatel One Touch Smart Watch.

It stuns me that Apple gave its competition months of free rein to take the Christmas and Valentine markets with something more jewelry like, and nobody seemed to grab the chance. A golden missed opportunity.

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
Despite everyone that has Apple Macs, iPhones, and iPads, AppleTV's, and iPods, and their attractive stores filled with employees in t-shirts, Apple is still considered a high end, one might possibly even say, "luxury" brand.

LG is not.

Apple is a consumer brand just like LG. Heck LG is even selling a TV for $99,999.99. Where is Apple's $100k product?

Anyhow with that said, I have an LG G Watch R and it has met all my expectations. I assume these will be good products as well.

Celf

macrumors member
Aug 4, 2008
Everyone else rushed out half-baked "F1RST" smart watch attempts after Apple's smart watch plans leaked as rumors. They failed to deliver much, while Apple's head start is about to release a more powerful and well-planned package.

It depends what you find to be the most useful and meaningful definition of "following."

you could also say:
It depends what you find to be the most useful and meaningful definition of "powerful and well planned";)

kds1

Suspended
Feb 17, 2013
New York, New York
Apple is a consumer brand just like LG. Heck LG is even selling a TV for $99,999.99. Where is Apple's $100k product?

Anyhow with that said, I have an LG G Watch R and it has met all my expectations. I assume these will be good products as well.

It's not about price, it's about perception.

tonyy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2011
Dallas
People still think Apple is a luxury brand? Not this again.

Anything mass produced in a Chinese factory is NOT luxury, people.

UAV

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2015
"Apple Watch Gets Another Competitor"

meh... thier is no competition if you ask me. for the main reason that there isn't even an apple right now that you can buy. the title of this thread just screams fanboyism:rolleyes:

darcyf

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2011
Toronto, ON
It will be interesting to see if a war ever breaks out between square and circular watch face proponents, much like the medium vs larger size smartphone screen debates of yore.

I do think the circular face looks more watchie and less techie than the square face. I wonder if Apple will ever find themselves suddenly switching gears (sorry) after several generations once they feel confident that they can deliver the experience they want in a circular face...

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Not surprising, so many companies are looking to roll out smart watches.

LG is just one in a long line. I can't even say competition is good at this point, because I don't think anyone really knows how a smart watch should work (both the manufacturer and the consumer) So much as to shake out before we see the actual potential of these products.

kds1

Suspended
Feb 17, 2013
New York, New York
I do think the circular face looks more watchie and less techie than the square face. I wonder if Apple will ever find themselves suddenly switching gears (sorry) after several generations once they feel confident that they can deliver the experience they want in a circular face...

It really doesn't matter, circular versus square.

Patek-Philippe_Ref_5200_front_LG.jpg

topmounter

macrumors 68030
Jun 18, 2009
FEMA Region VIII
I'm probably in the minority, but none of these "smart watch" products motivate me to want to go back to wearing a watch on a daily basis again. Especially if I have to remember to charge it every night.

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
It's not about price, it's about perception.

To me a real luxury item is one that the masses cannot afford to own. If Apple is a true high end "luxury" brand like so many around these forums believe how in the world can so many people afford it? There might be a perception of luxury by some, but it is a mass produced consumer brand just like the rest.

It's a premium consumer brand that competes with other name brand electronics makers in the mass market. It's nothing more and nothing less.

Would anyone honestly try and argue that Apple is not a mass market brand? I guess if it makes you feel better that you think your iPhone is a very exclusive product that most people can't afford to own then go ahead and think what you want.

Planins

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2012
The design actually looks pretty reasonable to me--I dislike it, but I can see many would like it.

But there are problems: functionality/power vs Apple Watch, developer support (we'll see) and that ugly low-DPI display LG is using (not to mention round, which looks nice but is terrible for text info).

It's a decent attempt if priced cheaply--because the pixelated face is going to stand out from the old-fashioned body like a sore thumb, outside of PR mock ups.

Are you kidding me, have you even seen one? It has the best display for a watch with deep blacks, great colours and viewing angles and it is by no means "low DPI" if you even have an idea what that means...

Looks pretty good in press renders, but I'll wait until I see real pictures before making a final judgement.

The G Watch R press pictures looked pretty good too, and look how it turned out.

Expectations:

Reality:

You do realise that if you change the watch face it would obviously look different, right? I love Apple but some of you are being ridiculous acting like the Apple Watch is something special, while great smart watches have existed for a while now.

Here's a picture of my watch if you don't believe it can look like the press photo one. Cheers!

Attachments

• IMG_0388.jpg
    IMG_0388.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 150

bse3

macrumors member
Dec 27, 2011
The thing I'm most curious about is... would I want such a device (be it :apple: Watch or another brand). With the iPad I was kinda sure it'll have a market, but that I'll probably not be that market. Got myself an iPad 3 that I rarely use, but it's really amazing for my parents -- 70+ and counting, doing most of their stuff on the web and in apps (thanks :apple:!).

But with a watch, I'm not too sure. I forbid most apps to issue push notifications, they bother me. It's like a second email inbox you have to take care of. So I'd like it even less in that case. A reminder for a meeting? Sure, I'd like a tap on my wrist. A reminder for a text? Depends on the situation. When I'm at work, I'd rather not be interrupted. When I'm at home, my iPad, Macbook & iPhone already ring. That's already too much, don't want a tap for that. When I'm out and I might have missed it... sure thing. For walking directions? Hell yeah!

All in all it may be too situational for me. I still hope that the device may appeal to me for some reason I don't know or understand yet.

filmantopia

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2010
I'm probably in the minority, but none of these "smart watch" products motivate me to want to go back to wearing a watch on a daily basis again. Especially if I have to remember to charge it every night.

You're actually in the vast majority right now. But over time when smartwatches, led by the Apple Watch, start winning people over you'll eventually find yourself in the minority unless you yourself change your mind. Which you probably will eventually.

kds1

Suspended
Feb 17, 2013
New York, New York
To me a real luxury item is one that the masses cannot afford to own. If Apple is a true high end "luxury" brand like so many around these forums believe how in the world can so many people afford it? There might be a perception of luxury by some, but it is a mass produced consumer brand just like the rest.

It's a premium consumer brand that competes with other name brand electronics makers in the mass market. It's nothing more and nothing less.

Would anyone honestly try and argue that Apple is not a mass market brand? I guess if it makes you feel better that you think your iPhone is a very exclusive product that most people can't afford to own then go ahead and think what you want.

You don't get it. It's not about price. Apple is perceived as high end, despite everyone and their dog having one. That's the way it is. LG has a $100,000 dollar television, but that doesn't give them the high end patina that Apple has, that's all I'm saying. Then you make this ad hominem argument:

I guess if it makes you feel better that you think your iPhone is a very exclusive product that most people can't afford to own then go ahead and think what you want.

I feel nothing of the sort, but you make that assumption.

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
I love Apple but some of you are being ridiculous acting like the Apple Watch is something special, while great smart watches have existed for a while now.

'Apple Watch is something special' and 'Great smart watches have existed for a while now' can BOTH be true.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.