Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Swiss-G

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2010
United Kingdom
Doesn't make sense.

I ordered 2 black sports within seconds or the launch. 4-6 week delivery.

Yesterday I ordered a white sports. Out for delivery tomorrow!

They both use the same Taptic engine!

Well if you consider that Apple anticipated that the SG BSB was going to be the most popular model you would expect them to ramp up production early.

If those :apple: watches then suffer from taptic engine fault and need to be scrapped that would explain the shortage.

afx128

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2014
Doesn't make sense.

I ordered 2 black sports within seconds or the launch. 4-6 week delivery.

Yesterday I ordered a white sports. Out for delivery tomorrow!

They both use the same Taptic engine!

sounds like the SG is using the taptic engine sourced from the Shenzun supplier.

jthesssin

macrumors regular
May 6, 2013
Matthews NC
that doesn't explain the lack of...

Space Black watches in the wild! If they were having Taptic Engine issues, it would affect all models equally. Nice Try Apple! WHERES MY WATCH! :D:D

whawhat

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2006
Cook said this week that they planned to launch the watch in more countries at the end of June so it sounds like Apple are addressing this issue and ramping up production.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Nice of Apple to own up to this.

They switched suppliers and are rectifying the issue. What else do you expect? My guess is that they knew about this issue on April 10th and defaulted to the June shipment dates to give themselves cushion to get the shipments out.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
I'd be curious as to which taptic engine was in iFixit's teardown sample.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
I wonder if people will tweak out wondering if you can tell if your watch tactic engine was made in Japan or China?

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
Cue the "38mm Blue Strap Preorders made on launch day between 3:00-3:15am; post your serial number and your Taptic functionality on a scale of 1-100 here!" threads.

whawhat

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2006
this is gonna be bad for those people waiting and waiting only to quite possibly receive a defective watch.

Do people even read articles anymore? It clearly states that apple discovered this issue during production and scrapped the defective watches. All the watches that have/are shipping are using the taptic engine supplied from Japan.

tkukoc

Cancelled
Sep 16, 2014
And this is also why there are so many defects in week 14 production watches. From taptic to band peeling to the dreaded lifting of the screen. Glad mine is week 16.

troygridrion

macrumors newbie
Apr 29, 2015
All I really want to know is who the latest group of people receiving their watches are.

I ordered mine at 6am (MT)... had to wait until morning because I was waiting for a pay check.. little did I know that apple doesn't charge your account until shipment.. Had one in the cart at 1:01am....... uh

Anyways, order confirmation April 10, 6:20am. SS 42mm BSB

Where are people with that watch in order line? Anyone that ordered after the first hour have any status updates, or is apple still shipping out to people who ordered within the first few seconds....?

I Ordered at 12:06 42mm SS BSB on 4/10 and my shipping status changed from processing to preparing for shipment this morning and my credit card was charged this am as well.

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
And this is also why there are so many defects in week 14 production watches. From taptic to band peeling to the dreaded lifting of the screen. Glad mine is week 16.

What is also why? This makes zero sense. You have no idea which watches are affected by Taptic issues, if any even made it out of the factory.

It's been proven time and again that defects happen across production weeks, in different factories, for every Apple product.

salamence502

macrumors member
Sep 29, 2007
Can any of you read? The reason your watches haven't shipped yet is because Apple decided to ship you a working unit instead of a defective one (at least, without a defective Taptic Engine part).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.