Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NIKKG

macrumors 6502
Feb 23, 2012
I can imagine you in 2010 saying, "This thing is gonna be a dud. It'll sell well initially for the diehard Apple fans than it will fizzle out. Its not Apple's fault, people just don't want to use a large iPod Touch when they have a real computer to use, and if tablets with a real OS weren't successful for 3 decades before the iPad I don't think Apple, Google, or Samsung are going to reverse that trend with a mobile OS no matter what they try."

Tablets can replace the majority of the work for most people that previously needed a laptop. The iphone/android phones job is to replace the music players, gps, internet browser AND WATCHES among other things. I literally haven't worn a watch in almost 8 years now because the phone has all that functionality built-in, in fact I hardly see anyone carry a watch anymore. You can tell this thing is not going to be a big seller when at least half the people on the Macrumors website (which are majority Apple fanatics) aren't even that excited about it.

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
So, they give advice on what to wear and how to complement your Apple Watch, but no advice on where to put your iPhone?

'Remember ladies, you'll need at least a clutch purse no matter what.'

Or perhaps your partner/date will have to carry your phone?

I find this so silly - people here have been talking endlessly about 'nobody' wearing watches, but 'everyone' carrying around phones....

But we're going right to a world where people are wearing watches, but now don't want to carry around phones? And forgot how they did that?

----------

In all the photos the watch screen is lit up. This will not be the case normally. I'd like to see all the same photos with an unlit screen because otherwise it's misleading and you can't really tell how it will really look.

Phone screens are unlit more than 75% of the time. Are all the phone ads now misleading because they're showing the phones 'lit' on a home screen or 'lit' just sitting there with the cameras revolving around them?

NIKKG

macrumors 6502
Feb 23, 2012
Yep, no one wears watches anymore...I'm sick and tired of hearing this as an argument so let's put it to bed

People wear watches as a jewelry type of thing these days but not as an everyday item. I know when I'm going out somewhere and dressed in a suit, I'll put on my Movado, but at work, never. Even the ad in this column the iwatch is positioned as a jewelry/fashion piece targeted towards women.

diipii

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2012
UK
This daft device is going to get Apple owners a bad rep as gullible, superficial and stupid.

Chrjy

macrumors 65816
May 19, 2010
UK
I literally haven't worn a watch in almost 8 years now.

Oh well in that case Apple better cease production immediately...let me give Tim Cook a call. :rolleyes:

----------

People wear watches as a jewelry type of thing these days but not as an everyday item. I know when I'm going out somewhere and dressed in a suit, I'll put on my Movado, but at work, never. Even the ad in this column the iwatch is positioned as a jewelry/fashion piece targeted towards women.

You're argument is referring to you and the small social group you see daily, you cannot speak for over 7 billion people worldwide. The stats I posted would suggest otherwise.

Jiz

macrumors regular
Nov 29, 2011
Somethings wrong

Somethings wrong.
I never saw Apple do the 'hard sell' before. They are trying away too hard with this project.

iSee

macrumors 68040
Oct 25, 2004
This thing is gonna be a dud. It'll sell well initially for the diehard Apple fans than it will fizzle out. Its not Apple's fault, people just don't wear watches anymore as they used to, so I don't think Apple, Google, or Samsung are going to reverse that trend no matter what they try.

Think about *why* people don't wear watches anymore.

PBG4 Dude

macrumors 601
Jul 6, 2007
Looking very much forward to getting an Watch.

Not accustomed to reading Elle, but the "what to wear to match your watch" seems vapid to the point of being patronizing.

Reminds me of the fashion show Tim Cook and Christy Burns had on stage during the keynote.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Tablets can replace the majority of the work for most people that previously needed a laptop. The iphone/android phones job is to replace the music players, gps, internet browser AND WATCHES among other things. I literally haven't worn a watch in almost 8 years now because the phone has all that functionality built-in, in fact I hardly see anyone carry a watch anymore. You can tell this thing is not going to be a big seller when at least half the people on the Macrumors website (which are majority Apple fanatics) aren't even that excited about it.

I think it will be a big seller. Personally I'm not going to buy it, but I think it will sell tons. Why? Because in fashion people accept butt ugly designs like the Apple watch if they know it's "premium" and everyone else in the herd will be wearing one and judging them if they have one too. Look at the fashion industry, how many times per day do you wonder who the hell would wear x outfit or y jewelry, but sure enough there are people willing to spend tons of cash on ugly stuff in the name of fashion. All Apple needs is Taylor Swift photographed with an apple watch on and it will sell tons. Heck if they caught Taylor swift wearing a piece of dog poop on her wrist you can bet the public would stampede the dog poop store.

But more to your topic, I found a smartwatch VERY useful. Mainly in that I didn't have to access my phone all the time. This was nice in meetings, especially in the car while driving, etc. I keep hearing it's not a big deal to take the phone out of your pocket, but it IS a pita, especially when you do it several times every hour. Ultimately though fashion won out and I returned to my Rolex, which for all it's worth only tells time.

verniesgarden

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2007
Saint Louis, Mo
Phone screens are unlit more than 75% of the time. Are all the phone ads now misleading because they're showing the phones 'lit' on a home screen or 'lit' just sitting there with the cameras revolving around them?

But phones aren't marketed as fashion assecories like this watch is being touted as.

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
But phones aren't marketed as fashion assecories like this watch is being touted as.

But I thought that all Apple-haters think people buy Apple phones for the shiny Apple logo? This makes them fashion accessories.

Sure seems like a lot of ads DO show phones as fashion accessories as well:

Daria-Werbowy-Edward-Norton-Prada-LG-Phone-02.jpg

Daria-Werbowy-Edward-Norton-Prada-LG-Phone-04.jpg

unlinked

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2010
Ireland
Yep, no one wears watches anymore...I'm sick and tired of hearing this as an argument so let's put it to bed

Watch Industry Statistics Data
Number of watches sold annually worldwide 1,200,000,000
Number of Swiss Watches sold annually 29,200,000
Number of watches produced by China annually 663,000,000
Number of watches produced by Hong Kong annually 354,000.000
Average cost of a Swiss watch $739
Average cost of a China watch $3
Switzerland watch market share in terms of value 54 %

I think is a more complete picture.

orioncrystalice

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2014
ok, this ad is I think the best yet. The model is perfect, her clothes are great, the white band actually looks really good.

erinsarah

macrumors 6502
Mar 17, 2011
Not accustomed to reading Elle, but the "what to wear to match your watch" seems vapid to the point of being patronizing.

Wow, for someone who doesn't read Elle, I'm surprised you know their company slogan! :)

Elle: Vapid to the point of being patronizing, since 1964...

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Watch Industry Statistics Data
Number of watches sold annually worldwide 1,200,000,000
Number of Swiss Watches sold annually 29,200,000
Number of watches produced by China annually 663,000,000
Number of watches produced by Hong Kong annually 354,000.000
Average cost of a Swiss watch $739
Average cost of a China watch $3
Switzerland watch market share in terms of value 54 %

I think is a more complete picture.

No - that's irrelevant to the statement 'No one wears watches anymore'. Price is not part of that statement. A $3 watch worn by someone is STILL a watch worn by someone.

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010
You can tell this thing is not going to be a big seller when at least half the people on the Macrumors website (which are majority Apple fanatics) aren't even that excited about it.

You must be new here? Because you certainly must not have been here on Macrumors with the introduction of the iPod, iPhone, or iPad.

greytmom

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010
You can tell this thing is not going to be a big seller when at least half the people on the Macrumors website (which are majority Apple fanatics) aren't even that excited about it.

Sorry, that's just not a good indicator. In fact, I would guess most of the "I haven't worn a watch in 97 years" or "this thing is ridiculous and I don't see why anyone would need one" or "Apple is doomed" folks will be sporting one on April 24.

Nungster

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2011
I just dont get the appeal of apple watch. Maybe I'll want one when they get it to work without an iPhone. I haven't worn a watch in years.

That's OK, as long as millions others get/want it we'll be good to go. I am a watch fanatic, and will certainly get two of these.

I will still continue to wear my other mechanicals. To me, a watch is the ONLY piece of jewelry I wear in addition to my wedding band.

----------

Sorry, that's just not a good indicator. In fact, I would guess most of the "I haven't worn a watch in 97 years" or "this thing is ridiculous and I don't see why anyone would need one" or "Apple is doomed" folks will be sporting one on April 24.

Yeah, and in 2007, I had not used a smart phone in 37 years. Now I use one everyday!!!!

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
I think most women already have a purse and don't need to be reminded...

Considering the option for a standalone is a Gear that's 105% bigger than this thing, I'm sure they're ready to live with the limitations to not look like a total idiot.

I'm sure that the fashion world knows all about the Gear since Samsung marketed it so hard to that segment.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
Also, Elle is bought by 6 million, but most of those magazines are read by a lot more than that. They're routinely passed around A LOT. So, probably nearly 20M will see the ad.

Then, there's the fact that people who saw it are influencers which will then talk about it with others in their peer network...

Since the ads show up at the same time Apple is doing a launch PR push, there's a good chance some local media will refer to what's published in magazines. The models will talk about it when interviewed, or are seen wearing it.

At this stage, Apple wants visibility, they want people in the demo to know its coming and even make it a trending fashion item that people with Iphones already will see as a must have.

----------

In the developed world, I'd say probably one in 4 or 5 currently wears a watch. From what I see, in the younger set, women wear then more than men. As people mature, it balances out a bit more.

20 million. More made up numbers.

bommai

macrumors 6502a
May 23, 2003
Melbourne, FL
I am not a fashion conscious man! I wear cheap jeans with cheap shoes to work. I don't go to parties. I own one suit that I haven't worn in 15 years. I have an iPhone because I love technology. However, I also work with circuit boards and other stuff that could hurt anything I am wearing on my wrist. I have four kids at home that will tear apart anything on my wrist. So I don't think I will ever buy a watch.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.