Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Do you actually think anyone believes the OPs statement is literally true? The "nobody" is obviously hyperbolic. I saw at least a few people wearing watches on the subway today. I know it's not literally true.

When I hear "nobody wears watches today," I understand to mean that watch-wearing is at historical lows, and it is so low that that compared to the heyday of watch wearing it is as if nobody wears watches today.

Thus, historical context is quite important.

To me, 'nobody' means very few people - nothing to do with 'historical lows'.

'Nobody' rides a horse to work anymore, of course doesn't mean 0%. But it means that something like 99% of people don't ride a horse to work.

I could also say the same thing about drones - 'nobody' flies drones, even though drone flying is probably at it's highest levels ever.

chumpy34

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2010
I also think people are missing all the ways you can now receive your emails, texts and notifications from your wrist in a manner that is not obtrusive or in some cases even legal. I just spoke to my neighbor who is a flight attendant for a major airlines and she said technically they are not supposed to have their phones out while working but of course do, in a "sneaky" manner.

Just think how now they can leave their phones in their pocket or bag and have access to all of their notifications. Students in all levels of school will be able to do the same (unless they get banned), etc.

I actually see this as the opposite of what people are saying, it will sell well at first but I think the majority of sales will pick up later on as everyone starts seeing how useful these are and when their coworker or neighbor or the guy at Whole Foods checks out by waving his watch at the NFC reader, they will want one.

This is going to be HUGE in my opinion.

Robert.Walter

macrumors 68040
Jul 10, 2012
I've talked to various females about this watch, all carry iPhones, ++=wears wrist watch, --=does not.)
- 82 yo++ mom (my) wants one, for activity monitoring (heartbeat during yoga), Pay, MFi hearing aid control, pill reminder, get phone calls w/o having to find iPhone (also as iPhone finder LoL), thinks it's sleek;
- 50 yo-- wants one for similar reasons as mom, also works at university hospital and thinks it will be useful there, originally trained as goldsmith/jewelry maker, thinks it is attractive;
- 14 yo++ daughter wears a watch every day, more for telling time, less as jewelry although she is fashionable, doesn't like form, sees it as too modern (will be interesting if she eventually gets one for health and fitness features);
- 40 yo++ watched part of the intro video and exclaimed "this is the future, I'm absolutely buying one!). Although fashionable, she wants it for the notification features, and will buy sport model;
- 40 yo++ watched video, and despite bad internet connection causing jerky video, asked how soon she might buy one. Didn't have time to interview her intentions or strength of interest;
- other women that I explained this to ranged from riveted to only mildly (possibly politely) interested (maybe due to my autism I didn't pick up on social cues that I was much more interested in telling than they were interested in hearing, LoL, but I dont think so.

Fashion breaks both ways, those that want to appear fashionable by embracing something new, others that want smth classic, others that just want functionality in a non ugly package.

Last edited:

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Cars are sexy too. Do you want to have sex with them? :p

*climbs down off car*

:eek:

He has no idea. He, like all of us are browsing a tech site. We don't know jack about fashion. At least some of us don't pretend to

Based on the response from my wife and one of her best friends, who have both been involved in the [higher end] fashion industry [in varying capacities] and are themselves extraordinarily fashionable, it's a winner. :cool:

Keirasplace

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2014
Montreal
I beg to differ. Apple have always pushed their products.

Don't you recall how many times you've seen bands like U2 rocking out with their iPods on; those iconic two color commercials?

And how many times did we see the MacBook Air in its thin glory, back when laptops were the size of a paving slab.

Then there's all the iPhone and iPad commercials.

In fact I'd argue that Apple love the hard sell on all their products. With this one they are trying to shape public perception that this isn't just a nerd toy like Google Glass.

Well, they did put an add in the 1984 Superbowl, that's as "hard sell" as you get, except maybe having top models on street corners at rush hour touting Apple watches ;-). I'd like to see that.

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
To me, 'nobody' means very few people - nothing to do with 'historical lows'.

'Nobody' rides a horse to work anymore, of course doesn't mean 0%. But it means that something like 99% of people don't ride a horse to work.

I could also say the same thing about drones - 'nobody' flies drones, even though drone flying is probably at it's highest levels ever.

Those examples are nor comparable to the amount of people wearing watches though as they are minuscule in comparison.

vpro

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2012
Meh..

Old men and young kids look good wearing watches, but the old school watches, distinguished and cut on kids. This product however is far from stylish, I'd rather ductape the next iPad PRO to my arm really.

Love you all!!

BruiserB

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2008
Do any of the fashion articles note where you discreetly tuck your iPhone so that it stays within range of the watch so that the watch is fully functional? I'm not sure that dress has a pocket capable of holding an iPhone 6 Plus.

CalWizrd

Suspended
Jun 21, 2011
NYC/Raleigh, NC
People who wear Rolex or Omega (whether real or fake) do it to show off as a status symbol like driving a big Benz S class. Those same people who wear a Rolex trying to be a mack daddy ...

How sadly uninformed you must be. Or maybe a little envy?

Attachments

• daytona.jpg
    daytona.jpg
    627.1 KB · Views: 84

Robert.Walter

macrumors 68040
Jul 10, 2012
Do any of the fashion articles note where you discreetly tuck your iPhone so that it stays within range of the watch so that the watch is fully functional? I'm not sure that dress has a pocket capable of holding an iPhone 6 Plus.

Captain Koons could suggest a good hiding place.

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place

Probably in the same places they tuck their iPhone now.;) Just a guess. Wearing a watch doesn't require finding a new place for your phone.

Recognition

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2013
How sadly uninformed you must be. Or maybe a little envy?

I'm sure that cost a fortune but looks very gaudy to me.
I wouldn't wear a watch like that as to me it looks tacky, too 'bling, bling' as the kids say.
But you probably wouldn't wear an Apple Watch for the same reasons.

ZCT

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
People who wear Rolex or Omega (whether real or fake) do it to show off as a status symbol like driving a big Benz S class. Those same people who wear a Rolex trying to be a mack daddy aren't gonna get a iwatch. I also bet the majority of fashion women aren't gonna get the iwatch either since most women don't like geeky stuff.

The usually people who are first to get tech items are the fat dumpy looking dudes with the oversized Walmart shirts you might see at a Microcenter or comics book store and nobody cool will want to sport an iwatch to be like them, that's for sure.

I wear an Omega, and most people have no clue about their heritage or that it was the original watch worn in space or during the moon landing. If I were merely trying to show off, I'd buy a Rolex.

I wear an Omega, because I believe it to be a very cool watch, my grandfather used to own a watch repair shop, and I find it amazing that a device with no electronics can tell time so well.

So I don't buy your premise that the ONLY reason people buy a nice timepiece is to show off. There is plenty of bling watches out there I could have purchased if that were my goal.

I do drive a Benz, but not an S-Class. But I've been driven in an S-Class, and I can assure you, it's not about the status. You're talking about a car that has features in it that ordinary cars will have in it ten years from now. The model I was driven in had tiny cameras in it that looked for bumps in the road, so that it could modify its own suspension to brace for potholes in the road. It was an engineering masterpiece. So again, I don't buy your statement that the only reason people buy them is to show off. That's more Bentley and Rolls territory.

I'm not even going to address your sexism regarding women and technology. I mean, there was a time when computers were seen as nerdy, and it was people like Wozniak playing with printed circuits in their garage. But those days are long gone. Women buy just as many smart phones and laptops today as men.

Wow, I just read your comment about Walmart shirts. Do you just inhabit a world made totally of stereotypes of your own creation? Hate to burst your bubble, but the world is not so black and white. And if you buy your shirts at Walmart, you are probably not Apple's target audience for the most part.

Keirasplace

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2014
Montreal

Most women (I am one) have a purse. The only other independent option, is a twice as big gear watch that would look like a techno-monstrosity with any dress; so. When not having a regular purse, a women would have a clutch to carry their phones.

But, there are other options too.

Blue tooth LE has a decent range (more than 100m in theory) (that's why bluetooth speakers exist after all). So, if your phone is within that range, it can be paired with bluetooth with it.

But even if your phone is not in bluetooth range, if the watch is on the same WIFI network, your watch can be paired with it.... This was confirmed at the march event...
http://bgr.com/2015/03/16/apple-watch-release-specs-android-wear/

With WIFI extenders, you could thus cover a very wide area where your phone is also in, without needing the phone nearby. An hotel with WIFI for example would fit the bill.

So, at home, people will not need to carry their phones around as much. That's a relief to me who somehow doesn't know where I put in when the call comes in :). If the watch can tell me where the phone is, that will be a great relief.

Last edited:

Chrjy

macrumors 65816
May 19, 2010
UK
Wow that's a big number with absolutely no context. What was that number 10 years ago? I bet it was even bigger.

What? The context is that it's an approximate figure of watch sales on an annual basis and as 69Mustang pointed out there will always be fluctuation.

Looks like you're over-analysing the post which was suggesting to those that state 'no one wears a watch' is not on argument based on approximate annual sales. Just because they don't wear a watch does not mean the other 7 billion people worldwide don't either!

Investor27

macrumors regular
Mar 8, 2012
Have you noticed how in all these magazines, the model who's wearing an Apple watch is always a girl? Is that consumer segment Apple's primary market for this watch?

----------

I wear an Omega, and most people have no clue about their heritage or that it was the original watch worn in space or during the moon landing. If I were merely trying to show off, I'd buy a Rolex.

I wear an Omega, because I believe it to be a very cool watch, my grandfather used to own a watch repair shop, and I find it amazing that a device with no electronics can tell time so well.

So I don't buy your premise that the ONLY reason people buy a nice timepiece is to show off. There is plenty of bling watches out there I could have purchased if that were my goal.

I do drive a Benz, but not an S-Class. But I've been driven in an S-Class, and I can assure you, it's not about the status. You're talking about a car that has features in it that ordinary cars will have in it ten years from now. The model I was driven in had tiny cameras in it that looked for bumps in the road, so that it could modify its own suspension to brace for potholes in the road. It was an engineering masterpiece. So again, I don't buy your statement that the only reason people buy them is to show off. That's more Bentley and Rolls territory.

I'm not even going to address your sexism regarding women and technology. I mean, there was a time when computers were seen as nerdy, and it was people like Wozniak playing with printed circuits in their garage. But those days are long gone. Women buy just as many smart phones and laptops today as men.

Wow, I just read your comment about Walmart shirts. Do you just inhabit a world made totally of stereotypes of your own creation? Hate to burst your bubble, but the world is not so black and white. And if you buy your shirts at Walmart, you are probably not Apple's target audience for the most part.

Hear hear! And the S-Class is a bargain for all that it is. One should go test drive it before making any comments about that car.

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
How is a watch sexy? Do you want to have sex with it?

Seriously? You do realize the word "Sexy" doesn't have to pertain to male or female body parts becoming aroused resulting in intercourse.

Nice sports cars are sexy, nice looking shoes can have sex appeal. Oh why am I even bothering explaining this to someone who posts such nonsense? :rolleyes:

iZac

macrumors 68030
Apr 28, 2003
UK
I, and many of my colleges (architects and nerds who discuss design as if it actually matters) have the same discomfort toward the iPhone 6/6+ as we do toward the apple watch, in that we dislike the design / functionality of both.

That being said, I've seen more iphone 6's in the wild as nearly any other iPhone now. Our complaints simply aren't shared by the greater population (of shanghai). Frustratingly I see that this thing will sell bucket loads...

Last edited:

RMferrer

macrumors member
Nov 27, 2007

Don't they sell Apple products at Walmart?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.