Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

doelcm82

macrumors 68040
Feb 11, 2012
Florida, USA
I think that this will go down as a mistake for Apple and maybe land on the head of Angela. This has all the markings of a product rushed to market, with not enough inventory, part constraints, mixed and even contradictory messages. This is not the smooth launches that Apple is known for. The fact that a customer cannot walk into a store and purchase it is a serious problem. The fact that they stated a launch date of 4.24 only to back track since nothing is actually launching anytime soon is a problem.

Love apple and can't wait to get my watch in the mail. But this was one hot mess from a marketing and customer service perspective.
Apple is not known for smooth product launches.

dilbert99

macrumors 68020
Jul 23, 2012
With a given amount of supply and initial demand, perhaps Apple shouldn't be so ambitious. Launch in the US, provide a better experience, then move on to other countries as production ramps up. Apple had choices to make here.

Did they make the right choice? I think they did. It's a problem I'm sure other companies would love to have.

I assume you live in the US? That would be a terrible way to treat its user base. Why not roll out in Australia first, they have a smaller population an all of its orders could be fulfilled, a better experience, they they could go around the smaller populations before getting to the US last...You see where I am going with this :D

Its more a case of Apple hit parts supply issues and as a result couldn't make enough in time.

I'm (most likely) not pre-ordering a watch that is going to arrive in June. They can wait till they manage to get some in store. I'll have a chance to see real user reviews.

If they take too long to get them in store like some did with some phones, I'll pass and get one next year.

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
I can understand that they want people to order online for a new product, since they want the product to feel speciel, in that no one can get it right away. Annoying, but I get it.

But not even have it available to see it live in stores, like they did with the Macbook? That is just low.

Locoboof

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2008
Bay Area,Cali
Apple Watch Orders Will Remain Exclusively Online Through May, Deliveries Beg...

One would assume someone setting up a tent outside an Apple store is pretty clued in. Not seeing rope lines outside the store is a pretty good indication there's nothing to line up for.

Not true....there are plenty of people who just see a commercial and think that's the date. Not everyone is glued to the news or tech sites. I've been outside with people who were inline that didn't know the account holder had to be present to buy the phone. Or thought they could get a out-of-contract phone day one.
Also keep in mind,there are no ropes set outside of mall entrances where the Apple Store is located inside. There's simply too many entrances.

sammich

macrumors 601
Sep 26, 2006
Sarcasmville.
During my try-on appointment I saw that they had at least 40 :apple:Watches in the drawers set aside for try-on appointments. They also had several watches set in a glass case or set up for other demos.

It seems really odd to me that they would have so many products purely for display at a little mall store when they're finding it so hard to fulfill orders. If each of their 400 stores worldwide is like mine, that would suggest they have some 20,000 :apple:Watches worldwide just sitting in the stores, not being sold.

With estimates that there are 2.3 M preorders, it seems to me that around 1% of those preorders could be satisfied far earlier than the middle of July that they've been told so far, if Apple would just cut back on how many watches they have laying around the store.

What do you think would make a bigger stink?
a) a million people with pre-orders in the 2 week to 3 month delivery time, or
b) a million people (minus 20k) with pre-orders in the 2 week to 3 month delivery time, minus many tens or hundreds of thousands of people who can't visit an Apple Store and try them on in person?

You must not be in the 24/4-8/5 Club (translation: 4/24-5/8 Club).

Meanwhile, I'm eagerly awaiting my watch next Friday.

lazyrighteye

Contributor
Jan 16, 2002
Denver, CO
I have it on good authority that the real bottleneck holding up watch shipments is the Apple logo embroidery on the buffing cloth. They've enlisted all sweatshops in Asia they could find, but still...

Now we're talking!. Good to see someone else getting in on the buffing cloth joke. I've stared a trend.
Hi dotnet. Good to see you again. ;)

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
"This woman"? Wow, sexist much? What does her gender have to do with anything? And if they don't have enough supply to stock stores right now how is that her fault?

That doesn't mean it was intended to be sexist. People say get that guy out of there too when it's a man.

mateytate

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2014
Well, in UK the apple store wasn't even open till about 8:02, and on the very first second it was open (I was refreshing) I placed my order. And got the 2 weeks delivery window time, starting at 24th.

As far as I'm aware that's the earliest slot that was available, there never was a 24th April date only, just that 2 week window.

NoExpectations

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2008
Clearly they couldn't make enough. That's disappointing.

The real reason they are not selling watches in the stores is that Apple is "learning" what models sell in each specific area. There are simply too many models to stock in each store and there is a high risk of oversupply and undersupply of each model which leads to even more shortages. Once Apple has a better handle on what to stock at each store, they will begin selling there.

peteo

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2007
I think that this will go down as a mistake for Apple and maybe land on the head of Angela. This has all the markings of a product rushed to market, with not enough inventory, part constraints, mixed and even contradictory messages. This is not the smooth launches that Apple is known for. The fact that a customer cannot walk into a store and purchase it is a serious problem. The fact that they stated a launch date of 4.24 only to back track since nothing is actually launching anytime soon is a problem.

Love apple and can't wait to get my watch in the mail. But this was one hot mess from a marketing and customer service perspective.

They are obviously having issues with supply, which is not Angela's issue. i highly doubt the 24 launch date was set by her. Might have been smart to not have pre orders at all, but they probably calculated they would have additional supply's by the 24th "launch" date, but that obviously is not the case. Must be low yields on display. (Infact it seems like some store display models have subpar displays)

Launch would have went better if they had try on's start the 10th (with no pre orders) and then have sales start in store and online the 24th (when stores open)

This way people would have had a chance to try it on and pick the one they wanted and have a chance to actually get one on launch day. The big issue would be if the lines where huge, and they didn't have enough supply of the one you wanted, you wouldn't know while standing in line. Guess they could have had a "reservation" system when you went to try on the watch you could reserve it and it would send you and email the day before launch if it would be available launch day

macrumors 68000
Feb 5, 2007
The difference here is that Apple knows better and we know they know better

They do. Cook was a supply chain genius before becoming CEO. It's reported in Isaacson's biography of Jobs that Cook reduced their 6 month inventory window down to two weeks. This takes extreme precision in supply chain monitoring.

Is it possible they could have underestimated demand? Sure. Is it likely? No. They know *exactly* what they're doing by creating only a brief bottleneck of supply, on purpose, to fuel impressions that the Apple Watch, like every other product they deliberately held up inventory on at launch, is selling out.

In order to do this they have to know exactly how many units ahead or behind of their run rate they are at any time... and they can't be more than a few hundred units off because it takes only that many negative anecdotes to fuel bad PR. I work for a well known software company... social can really put a kink in daily sales.

Apple can afford to take a little bit of a hit but they still have ever-growing earnings projections to beat quarter in and quarter out, and maintain their reputation for beating those estimates which are themselves based heavily off one of the most precise understandings of supply chain of any company that sells physical inventory.

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
The difference here is that Apple knows better

There's something to be said for the press that goes along with demand outstripping supply. But even so, Apple is venturing into new territory with the Watch. It's conceivable that Apple couldn't anticipate such a great demand for an item with a high price and limited functionality. And I would think that manufacturing the Watch is difficult, given its high tech and tiny size.

So I'm not at all surprised they're having trouble meeting demand, but I'm very surprised at the sheer volume that's (reportedly) so quickly been ordered.

Euge

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2006
During my try-on appointment I saw that they had at least 40 :apple:Watches in the drawers set aside for try-on appointments. They also had several watches set in a glass case or set up for other demos.

It seems really odd to me that they would have so many products purely for display at a little mall store when they're finding it so hard to fulfill orders. If each of their 400 stores worldwide is like mine, that would suggest they have some 20,000 :apple:Watches worldwide just sitting in the stores, not being sold.

With estimates that there are 2.3 M preorders, it seems to me that around 1% of those preorders could be satisfied far earlier than the middle of July that they've been told so far, if Apple would just cut back on how many watches they have laying around the store.

Laying around in the store? Display models are important. People need to try them on and feel and play with them. Especially with the watch. If they sold all those models just to fulfill 1% of preorders that's a drop in the bucket and would do nothing for the bottom line.

When I used to work there when there was a shortage after an iPod launch, some guy came in and offered $100 over retail for a floor model (mostly joking). He asked why we didn't sell them. I said we don't sell display models, and if we did not only would he have nothing to look at, but we'd already be out and he'd have nothing to buy.

Think about it. If we sold all those display models it would go to maybe 30 people. They'd be gone in an hour or two. You have to look at the bigger picture.

Side note, when I was looking at one of the display cases there were a couple watches missing. They said they were still waiting on a couple display models, so they're even short on those.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Can you imagine how pissed off the campers will be if they wait in line for hours and get told to go home and order online?

One would assume these "campers" are die hard Apple fans. Are you suggesting they would have no clue the product won't be available in store on the 24th? Or wouldn't confirm it before they decide to camp out? They're just going to blindly show up at an Apple store and stand about for hours even though the store will have no rope lines, no store employees hanging about (that would normally manage lines). That's idiotic. Seems to me it wouldn't take long to figure out there's nothing to stand in line for.

Jungo

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2007
we'll know very soon how many of us will get 'hit' on the 24th ... I'm assuming tracking info will start in just a few days.

I'm 3:04 so I'm hoping for 4/24

I think future sales will be seeded from those of us that will be wearing and using ours in a few weeks. - I also believe many of my co-workers will be surprised at how useful this watch will be .

cardfan

macrumors 601
Mar 23, 2012
I assume you live in the US? That would be a terrible way to treat its user base. Why not roll out in Australia first, they have a smaller population an all of its orders could be fulfilled, a better experience, they they could go around the smaller populations before getting to the US last...You see where I am going with this :D

Its more a case of Apple hit parts supply issues and as a result couldn't make enough in time.

I'm (most likely) not pre-ordering a watch that is going to arrive in June. They can wait till they manage to get some in store. I'll have a chance to see real user reviews.

If they take too long to get them in store like some did with some phones, I'll pass and get one next year.

Why US first? That's Apple's home market. But I already alluded to why Apple wouldn't want to do that.

This is a problem other companies don't have to face much. I think it's amazing what they're able to do as it is when it comes to the Watch launch. This isn't simple by any means especially at launch.

lazyrighteye

Contributor
Jan 16, 2002
Denver, CO
"This woman"? Wow, sexist much? What does her gender have to do with anything? And if they don't have enough supply to stock stores right now how is that her fault?

Not how I would have worded things, but if Angela were a man, would anyone call a "get this guy out of Apple" a "sexist" remark? I'm guessing not. Interesting...

d0minick

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2011

This is it right here.

I preordered, but it said June. If that doesn't drop to May, or slips further, it will be canceled. This item is not a necessity, its an accessory impulse buy.

It was this watch or a mini vacation, I chose the impulse buy. If that date doesn't drop, I will cancel and go on my planned mini vaca.

Apple should know better, 2.5 million preorders is NOT a lot, especially for a company such as Apple and a "mastermind" of logistics such as Cook.

Very underwhelmed by the whole experience. If I wanted slipped dates and production issues then i would have backed a kickstarter.

lazyrighteye

Contributor
Jan 16, 2002
Denver, CO
Wait - what about Angela's boldly unapologetic “the days of waiting in line and crossing fingers for a product are over” statement? #aboutface
I'm confused.

Locoboof

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2008
Bay Area,Cali
If the store is open, they will be invited inside and assisted with their online orders.

That's assuming the store is open when the person goes outside to line up. Some people get outside at 1,2,3am. I just hope no one sleeps outside,that would be awful.

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
So there's really not a "Launch Day." It's more or less an "Order Day", then you get yours when you get yours.

I wonder if this has to do with the almost infinite amount of combinations you can purchase (watch material, bands, etc;). They could anticipate stocking the most common config's I guess, but could still run into problems.

----------

I'm thinking I should order mine now for Christmas delivery. :D

Yeah its more like a Delivery Day. I'd argue they shoudl've just let the watches trickle out like they did the macbook but maybe they have software updates coming and are waiting for those to come to the watches.

----------

That's assuming the store is open when the person goes outside to line up. Some people get outside at 1,2,3am. I just hope no one sleeps outside,that would be awful.

That would be stupid.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.