Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dgdosen

macrumors 68030
Dec 13, 2003
Seattle
These looks to be approaching Suunto-sized watches. I've got a pretty wide wrist, so I'd welcome these things - especially if you can cram a multi-day battery in there.

Just make them durable (ceramic/ss/titanium and sapphire) - none of that ion glass BS.

EntropyQ3

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2009
These looks to be approaching Suunto-sized watches. I've got a pretty wide wrist, so I'd welcome these things - especially if you can cram a multi-day battery in there.

Just make them durable (ceramic/ss/titanium and sapphire) - none of that ion glass BS.
Unfortunately, the larger display also draws more power so while battery life could improve slightly along with greater size and weight, it probably won’t be significant. (As the change in size from 44 to 47 isn’t all that much either.)
There are a lot of areas where the Apple Watch could benefit from improvement.

Looking at watches over time, apart from very specific sub-genres, the overwhelming majority of the market has been smaller, thinner and lighter, and for quite practical reasons.

Reactions: jamesrick80

Skyscraperfan

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2021
I never understood the appeal of an Apple Watch. Hardly any push notification is so important that you can't wait to see it the next time you look at your iPhone. Writing text messages on that tiny display is a pain and you can only do it with one hand. Battery life is very bad to a conventional digital watch, where the battery lasts tens years or more. The only smart watch that made sense was the one of Michael Knight, who needed it to call his car when he was in trouble.

Smartwatches should also work without an iPhone without and extra contract that alone costs you as much as a Netflix subscribtion.

If you really want a smartwatch, why not buy one by Xiaomi? Those are very cheap, because they are still in the phase of selling them at producing cost price to gain market share. They also did that with smartphones for a while.

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
This whole screen size variations are honestly annoying. At first there was 38mm and 42mm, then 40mm and 44mm and now it's 41mm and 45mm. What's next? 43mm and 47mm?

I mean it's way too fast and confusing whenever you try to shop for the bands. Just call it Small and Large Apple Watch for whatever major changes that happens every 2-3 years.

Blaine

macrumors 6502a
Dec 3, 2007
Abilene TX
Hopefully the crystal will be a really strengthened sapphire and not the ion glass that scratches like crazy. 😖

Vjosullivan

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2013
Will never buy an Apple Watch again, the resale value is appalling.

£800 watch I’m being offered £150 for a year and a half later that still isn’t sold after 2 months has put me off ever wanting another!
A good watch is a piece of functional jewellery that works just as well and looks just as good ten or twenty years down the line.

The Apple Watch isn't jewellery. The majority of watch faces are really not very good, particularly coming from a company that claims to be superlative at design.

It's not even a watch. It won't tell you the time until you pair it with an iPhone. It's just an extension screen for the iPhone, whose functionality actually degrades over time as its OS stops getting updated and eventually can no longer be paired with a current model of iPhone.

Reactions: SmugMaverick

EntropyQ3

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2009
A good watch is a piece of functional jewellery that works just as well and looks just as good ten or twenty years down the line.

The Apple Watch isn't jewellery. The majority of watch faces are really not very good, particularly coming from a company that claims to be superlative at design.

It's not even a watch. It won't tell you the time until you pair it with an iPhone. It's just an extension screen for the iPhone, whose functionality actually degrades over time as its OS stops getting updated and eventually can no longer be paired with a current model of iPhone.
Exactly. The Apple Watch is a short lived, maintenance intensive gadget. It does bring some additional features over a regular watch, but also some clear weaknesses and annoyances. (And of course, these days most young people don’t use watches at all, cell phones do the job.)

I think the Apple Watch is still looking for an identity or clear purpose, though health may eventually be it. At this point in time I can only really see it if you are suffering from certain heart conditions. The bouncing around in sizes and soon form factors just strengthens the impression that it mostly appeals to gadget happy people with cash to burn who don’t mind babying it. Nothing terribly wrong with that. But not very interesting to the wider public either.

sarc

macrumors 6502
Dec 3, 2016
I am hoping for two things with this 'pro' version.

One is more physical buttons. Having used a Fenix 7x for a few runs (and then returning it) this is one of the major features the Apple Watch is missing. When you want to navigate between workout screens (I have a SS S7) I find it very difficult to swipe especially when you have sweaty fingers. This is made worse in my opinion by now having to use the Digital Crown to navigate between workout screens in watchos9. Do you scroll up or down I never know. A button is much easier.

Two is maps that can display a route while in a workout. I know you can download the Workoutdoors app but I would like this built into the workouts app and have the apple look and feel to it. Also this should be able to work without cellular. So you should be able to download the maps. Many times I have been overseas and want to go for a run but don't have a cellular plan.

the future

macrumors 68040
Jul 17, 2002
You've completely missed the point. Apple currently don't sell a premium fitness watch that competes with a top end Garmin. This is likely the segment Apple are aiming for, and that's a good thing!

Sorry, I think you missed the point. Garmin may well have better „premium fitness watches“, I did not claim they don‘t because I have never used or even seen one. I just meant that, compared to Apple Watch, they really don‘t sell in numbers that I would agree to the term „like hot cakes“. But yeah, if Apple aims for that segment, it must be big enough for Apple to bother, so the numbers are probably quite nice.

Reactions: Indianwin2001

sarc

macrumors 6502
Dec 3, 2016
I think the Apple Watch is still looking for an identity or clear purpose, though health may eventually be it.
I don't think it's still looking for a purpose. With the first Apple Watch they thought it was going to be a fashion accessory and Apple quickly realised that no this is going to be a fitness device. Most of the adds you see for the watch are focused all around fitness/health.

I've had an Apple Watch from the S0 and I've never cracked the screen. I've not nursed it. I run, cycle, swim, hike everything with it. Yes the non SS versions the screen gets scratched up but with the SS version this is not an issue.

SmugMaverick

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2017
UK
The series 7 sport is the best selling watch, I never see anyone with the more overpriced models.

They’re just not worth it, they offer nothing more then the other aluminium models and really are bad buys.

The value on the watches drop badly compared to the iPhone, I’m always tempted by the stainless steel models but the prices are disgusting and the value a year later isn’t even half.

I stick to the aluminium and trade every few years now just so it’s worth it, these aren’t jewellery, they’re extensions of the phone and the batteries suck.

This Pro model will be just a gimmick with the same oled display, titanium that should be on the iPhone Pro and tiny fraction larger flat screen.

$1000 if true will be the biggest joke apple have pulled in a while.

ProfessionalFan

macrumors 603
Sep 29, 2016
The value on the watches drop badly compared to the iPhone, I’m always tempted by the stainless steel models but the prices are disgusting and the value a year later isn’t even half.
This is the case for all products. Base model always holds the best resale value. If you are buying an item for resell value, stick with the base model.

Look for example if you compare a base model Mac with one that was maxed out on SSD and RAM. The resell value will be pretty similar.

The series 7 sport is the best selling watch

This is the case for everything isn't it with all companies. Doesn't the entry level/base model always sell the best. Which in turn explains why the base model also holds the best resell value.

votdfak

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2011
Garmin Epix 2, I am getting two weeks of battery life in gesture mode. AW6 SS is collecting dust.

polyphenol

macrumors 68000
Sep 9, 2020
Wales
It looks as if we need permission from WSJ to wear a smaller watch! And they need celebs to endorse it.

As far as I am concerned, I'll wear what size I want/can get! 47mm is definitely too large. 45mm bearable (and ease of reading is my only reason to choose that - with aging eyes). 41mm would be my preference.

Indianwin2001

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2022
Exactly. The Apple Watch is a short lived, maintenance intensive gadget. It does bring some additional features over a regular watch, but also some clear weaknesses and annoyances. (And of course, these days most young people don’t use watches at all, cell phones do the job.)

I think the Apple Watch is still looking for an identity or clear purpose, though health may eventually be it. At this point in time I can only really see it if you are suffering from certain heart conditions. The bouncing around in sizes and soon form factors just strengthens the impression that it mostly appeals to gadget happy people with cash to burn who don’t mind babying it. Nothing terribly wrong with that. But not very interesting to the wider public either.
It’s main purpose for ME and MANY other people is to track our TRAINING.

Reactions: Tagbert

Bswails

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2016
People are going to look like a kid wearing their dads sweatshirt with this size watch ha.
Facts! Maybe the “Pro” is short for “Professional Athlete” as a watch that large must be for the big and tall people. most people don’t need anything larger than the 41, 47 will look silly on a lot people

• Disagree
Reactions: Wizec
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.