Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Thomas Davie

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2004
I'm not interested until it reaches at least 100mm.

No Apple Watch has ever given more than a single day's usage without needing recharging to last all the way through the next day. There's nothing to indicate that Apple see any problem with this.
Sure, that’s Apple’s perspective and it is entirely their right to hold that position. A 1 day battery charge is useless for me though and has kept me from buying an Apple Watch since day 1. My Galaxy Watch 3 has 6-7 day battery life, though I dislike the Samsung OS/ecosystem.

All I can do is shrug and wait to see what Apple has in store, no?

Tom

Thomas Davie

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2004
Why though? The Apple Watch battery life on series 6 without always on display (AOD) turned on is about 48 hours from 100% to 0%.

That’s easily all day and night battery life with a charge every day or two.

I do not want low power mode to see the information I want blazing into my eyeballs with the intensity of a million lumens. I do not want to have to charge every day, other day, third day and so on up to 1 week. At 6 or 7 days I would be satisfied.

Not ragging on Apple, just stating a simple preference.

Tom

t76turbo

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2012
People are going to look like a kid wearing their dads sweatshirt with this size watch ha.

not everyone. Some of us are larger sized people. I am 6’6” and about 270lbs. played sports all through school so still kinda an athletic build. A normal sized watch just feels small to me.
So much so that I don’t even wear a watch anymore. If this rumor is true I may buy this Apple Watch. Would be my first.

Reactions: Tagbert

lazyrighteye

Contributor
Jan 16, 2002
Denver, CO
Well there were technological reasons to go from, say, the 30-pin connector to Lightning; that was progress. What progress is there to make with the watch band connecting system? It was quite innovative, actually, when it first came out, making changing the strap of the Watch much easier and faster than that of „regular“ watches. So it‘s basically perfect already. Size would be the only reason to add another tier, but I assume that tier would still have the same connecting system. And we‘ll always have the sizes we have now, too, because not everyone has giant wrists. So while „not ever“ is a very long time, I actually do think the old straps will not ever become incompatible with new Watches.
Exactly my point: Apple pushes the boundaries and moves categories further. I’m all for it - which is why I’m surprised their initial - yes, innovative - watch band system is still in place.
But to believe that the current band system “will not ever become incompatible with new Watches” is silly. At some point, humans will evolve to gaseous clouds and not have wrists for Watch wearing. 🤪

t76turbo

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2012
sounds absolutely terrible. 47mm? already for a large chunk of people the 45mm is too large. guess the days of being able to purchase a reasonably sized titanium apple watch will be over. 47mm is hilariously large even by modern watch standards
Not even close to ‘hilariously large‘ by todays standards. It’s actually inline with many luxury brands. Maybe not the more common brands you have been looking at. (not an insult. Everyone has a target market they shop in)

you obviously don’t keep up with watch trends. Even Rolex has this sized watch. (Reason I mention this brand in particular is they are famous for smaller frame watches. But even they went big because of demand. The Rolex Sea Dweller ‘Deep Sea’. Which was in my list to buy since I sold my other rolexs because they felt too small. But prices went crazy with Covid and I just can’t justify the price anymore.

Reactions: Tagbert

JM

macrumors 601
Nov 23, 2014
I do not want low power mode to see the information I want blazing into my eyeballs with the intensity of a million lumens. I do not want to have to charge every day, other day, third day and so on up to 1 week. At 6 or 7 days I would be satisfied.

Tom
All good. Though “simple” is a bit of an understatement, haha.

I guess I understand the desire to not have to charge every day or two, and it would be nice to take the Watch camping without worrying about the need to charge it.

the future

macrumors 68040
Jul 17, 2002
But to believe that the current band system “will not ever become incompatible with new Watches” is silly. At some point, humans will evolve to gaseous clouds and not have wrists for Watch wearing. 🤪

At some point Watches may be passé per se, yes. But as long as Apple makes and sells Watches, they will a) be rectangular and b) have human-wrist-friendly sizes and thus c) will be compatible with aaaaalllll the straps. Because the system is perfect already.

But maybe I just lack imagination. Newest rumour is the old bands won‘t fit the new „Pro“ Watch. Very curious if this will be just a size thing or if the new Watch actually has a different connector/system.

iPhoneFan5349

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2021
Yeah, never try to sleep with mine. Watches are always noticeable when on my wrist. Hard enough to sleep without more distractions. Imo
But the watch is just not comfortable to use. I can sleep fine with any other watch because they are made to sit right around your wrist. I’m thinking nobody at Apple has used this thing to sleep. This is the one product where you have to put form over function, seems like they did it backwards.

ColdShadow

Cancelled
Sep 25, 2013
I don’t know how I feel about this..
Apple watch already looks too big and nerdy on many people because of square design,now they’re making it larger AND flat it will look hideous and very geeky..a watch needs to look aesthetically nice too..the new Galaxy watch 5 Pro is large but because it’s round it looks natural.
Also $1000 price is just ridiculous.

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle
This whole screen size variations are honestly annoying. At first there was 38mm and 42mm, then 40mm and 44mm and now it's 41mm and 45mm. What's next? 43mm and 47mm?

I mean it's way too fast and confusing whenever you try to shop for the bands. Just call it Small and Large Apple Watch for whatever major changes that happens every 2-3 years.
The Apple Watch 7 comes in 41mm and 45mm. They use the same bands as the last several models of Watch.

The rumor is for a new model somewhere around 47mm and called a “Pro”. There is no indication that the regular watches will change sizes. The mostly likely outcome is 3 models of watch at 41mm, 45mm, and ~47mm. There are some suggestions that this new “Pro” Watch might need a new band size/shape.

Last edited:

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle

Tom
“Damn you, physics, damn you!” 😊

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle
But the watch is just not comfortable to use. I can sleep fine with any other watch because they are made to sit right around your wrist. I’m thinking nobody at Apple has used this thing to sleep. This is the one product where you have to put form over function, seems like they did it backwards.
I have no problem sleeping due to the watch. I always wear it at night and have always worn my watches at night. I has not been a problem. The only issue is that I need to enable Theater Mode so that the screen doesn’t come on when I roll over.

jbachandouris

macrumors 603
Aug 18, 2009
Upstate NY
I'll have to see one in person to try it on. No way am I ordering it sight unseen.

Either way it'll be this one or an AW8......assuming I can find a buyer for my AW7.....

Might end up selling my iPad Pro 11" (2nd gen) LTE that I almost never use.

TKSX

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2021
Wow. I need to "upgrade" my wrist size to make sure it will work with the larger apple watch... As if.
I think 44mm / 45 mm is good enough. Anything bigger will mean I need to put it on my biceps or else it will look weird.

iRun26.2

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
I’m guessing my present watch looks to big for my wrists as it is. Doubt I could pull off a 47mm without taking testosterone.
Me too. I have a small wrist but I will still buy it. If they just make it flat, to the edges, it shouldn’t be much bigger.

e-coli

macrumors 68000
Jul 27, 2002
People said the same thing here when the iPod was originally announced. Someone needs to post the link to that thread. It is classic reading all the takes that went so wrong.
iPod was an entirely new class of product. Sports watches are long established with a wide breadth of use cases and known failure points. As an athlete who owns both an Apple Watch and a Garmin (as does a lot of the community), I’m simply relaying the general market sentiment.

steve09090

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2008

Tom
Question. I understand your preference. I think we’re all the same. My all multi-year lasting watch was great. But, do you charge your phone everyday?

When a phone (that we all carry around with us all the time) has a battery that last 3 or 4 days, then the argument of a Watch doing the same thing will be an real thing. People just forget the phone thing because it has wireless charging and many people have Qi Chargers sitting around the desk, but that is ultimately just a work-around. We never used to plug our Nokia 5510's into a car to keep it connected and charged.

We still charge our phones overnight.

The problem with our watches (or phones) are that they use a lot of battery over a day, just doing what they do. So the problem isn’t with the watch (or phone), it still comes down to battery technology.

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G4
Jul 22, 2002
At some point Watches may be passé per se, yes. But as long as Apple makes and sells Watches, they will a) be rectangular and b) have human-wrist-friendly sizes and thus c) will be compatible with aaaaalllll the straps. Because the system is perfect already.

But maybe I just lack imagination. Newest rumour is the old bands won‘t fit the new „Pro“ Watch. Very curious if this will be just a size thing or if the new Watch actually has a different connector/system.
The current “small” watch bands fit the large watch, I know someone that was getting hand me down large watches that they just used with small bands. The only difference is the curve of the band doesn’t seamlessly flow into he curve of watch body, but that’s it. I’m guessing this will be more of the same.

EntropyQ3

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2009
The Apple Watch Series 7 is the best-selling smartwatch worldwide.

Not sure, what other metric would matter than that when discussing the interest in the product.
And the Cessna Citation XLS is the worlds best selling private jet. That doesn’t mean that it appeals to all consumers. Android is the biggest cell phone platform, but that doesn’t mean it cannot be improved.

I wear the Apple Watch Series 7 right now, and it’s just not an overall particularly good product. It is quite possibly the best smartwatch overall for me right now, but that really doesn’t say much, now does it? If I didn’t have heart arythmia in the family, (I seem to have no issues) I would be better served by my regular watch, (possibly complemented by a sport watch with GPS for running, although that serves basically no useful purpose).

Whether you compare smartwatches with regular watches (time keeping) or cell phones (mobile multifunction devices), they just aren’t particularly successful in the market place. And there are good reasons for that, some of which are actually adressable. So it makes sense to discuss them.

steve09090

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2008
Exactly. The Apple Watch is a short lived, maintenance intensive gadget. It does bring some additional features over a regular watch, but also some clear weaknesses and annoyances. (And of course, these days most young people don’t use watches at all, cell phones do the job.)

I think the Apple Watch is still looking for an identity or clear purpose, though health may eventually be it. At this point in time I can only really see it if you are suffering from certain heart conditions. The bouncing around in sizes and soon form factors just strengthens the impression that it mostly appeals to gadget happy people with cash to burn who don’t mind babying it. Nothing terribly wrong with that. But not very interesting to the wider public either.
I think Health is a major part of Apple Watch.. It is also super useful for card payments. I use it as a timer daily. I also use it for HomeKit. Oh yeah, fitness. And as I am in my 50’s fall detection is something I’m interested in. Credited for saving many lives. https://appleinsider.com/articles/22/04/15/police-officer-celebrates-cool-apple-watch-fall-detection

If you think the Apple Watch is looking for an identity or clear purpose, you most have it on upside down! It’s one of those "it’s you, not me things".

Saying it’s "short lived" is just like saying ”The Internet will never catch on!"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.