Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

redscull

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2010
Texas
Fitness watch? Don't make me laugh! Give me a Garmin any day of the week.
I think that's a little unfair until we get some hands-on with the Series 2. Obviously the Series 1 doesn't make the cut. But I'm remaining hopeful that the Series 2, now with [fast-activating] GPS, will actually do what a Garmin does. Plus smart watch stuff.

My ex has a Garmin. I've seen first hand what that experience is like. The lack of GPS is why I didn't get the first Apple Watch. But my Series 2 is pre-ordered!

redscull

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2010
Texas
It feels so strange that Apple really fell into the one-year cycle for the Apple Watch.
I think it's too early to tell for sure what the Apple Watch cycle will be. The product line is still seeking a purpose and seeking a customer base. So when they incorporate a feature that they think will significantly boost the appeal, GPS and waterproofing this time, it makes sense to release sooner vs later. I, for example, declined the first gen specifically because it lacked GPS despite my love for gadgets. The decision was easy for me this time around. Next year they might release another new version to nab those holding out for some other must-have feature (LTE? multi-day battery?), once they have the known must-have features, they could slow the release pace down.

NoahK17

macrumors member
Apr 24, 2009
Westeros
The 42mm Series 2 Stainless Steel (non-coated) with a Sport Band went to ~2 weeks delayed within 4 minutes of the store making things available.

I might've been able to place an order sooner if I thought to use the Apple Store app on my phone instead of trying to use the website. The app was very responsive, whereas the website was still giving "We're getting ready" messages until nearly 3:10 AM EST.
Welcome to every Apple release. Always always always use the "Apple Store" app to pre-order items.

Reactions: Wondercow

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Well, I am looking forward to work for my Apple Watch. I have waited about 2 years for this iteration. This one is much closer to what I think Apple Watch should be.

Reactions: Wondercow

kilcher

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2011
I'm sorry, but this is headline news why?

Because, as you yourself have proven, it generates pageviews and discussion (which generates even more pageviews).
[doublepost=1473460749][/doublepost]
I bought the original Apple Watch and I think I'm going to hold off for whatever they might do next year (or thereafter) it absolutely needs that speed boost of the new processor but I'm keeping hope that WatchOS3 will make a large difference for my current watch and make it feel "new" anyway. For anyone who didn't get the original watch I think this would be a great time to jump in. I have loved mine and I use it many times daily. I find that I don't swap my faces up very often on it though... I almost always keep the modular face because it has the most information on it at any given glance... I love the watch though, I think people that get this new one will love it just as much if not more.

I don't think you'all be disappointed, watchOS 3 helps a lot.

mdelvecchio

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2010
It feels so strange that Apple really fell into the one-year cycle for the Apple Watch. Who is buying a new watch every year? This is not a phone. Even a cheap plastic watch is meant to be worn for 2 to 4 years until it falls apart or the plastic glass is all scratched and unreadable. A big name expensive watch is worn 5 to 10 years. Gold watches are even given to your children. I still have my first "real" swiss watch (besides my old swatch) and refitted it with new bands and a new sapphire glass just out of nostalgia.

Apple should have at least gone for a two or three year cycle like the iPad or the Macs if they want to place it in the serious fashion and fitness department.
wtf are you talking about? the AW1 was announced 2 years ago. it's not a one year cycle.

Reactions: Johnny907

howhow1996

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2016

Apple-Watch-Nike.png
Just hours after Apple Watch Series 2 pre-orders became available, shipping estimates for most 38mm and 42mm models have slipped to 2-3 weeks in the U.S. for new orders placed through Apple's online store.

Apple Watch Nike+ models are expected to ship in late October, while the new 42mm ceramic Apple Watch Edition ships in 5-7 weeks. Apple Watch Series 1 models remain available for September 16 launch day delivery.

Best Buy, however, still appears to be offering shipped-to-home September 16 launch day delivery in the U.S. for several Apple Watch Series 2 models, including aluminum and stainless steel variants. It does not appear to be selling the ceramic Apple Watch Edition.

Apple-Watch-Series-2-Best-Buy.jpg

For those that elected not to or are uninterested in pre-ordering online, Apple Watch Series 2 models launch at Apple retail stores and authorized resellers like Best Buy on September 16. In-store stock will likely be very limited, with customers accepted on a first come, first served basis.

Apple Watch Series 2 models feature a built-in GPS, water resistance up to 50 meters, a faster S2 dual-core processor, and a display that is two times brighter than the original Apple Watch. Series 2 models will come with watchOS 3 preinstalled, while the software will be released as a standalone update on September 13.

Article Link: Apple Watch Series 2 Shipping Estimates Slip to 2-3 Weeks, Best Buy Still Promises Launch Day Delivery

I'm not sure is it because I'm Canadian, however my watch was slipped to 2 weeks after I preordered it around 5 minute after the website was opened up for preorder yesterday. Is this kind of thing normal?

I purchased black aluminum edition 2 38mm.

beanbaguk

macrumors 65816
Mar 19, 2014
Europe
Well congratulations and have fun - now take your hate for the product and run into a forest with it, feel free to bring your Garmin

I don't hate. Hating is a very negative attribute and very extreme.

I do however dislike the Apple Watch. I've got one through work and after trying it for a month, I gave up. I then gave it to my brother in law who also tried it for a short while and switched back to his Garmin.

Short of the long is the "Series 1" is terrible.

Also regarding positioning....number 2, eh?

Those Apple marketing geniuses really have people duped!

Last edited by a moderator:

KiwiAdventure

Suspended
Dec 7, 2010
New Zealand
Waiting 2 years for Apple watch to have GPS now I can purchase and it will be the Nike watch. Their's a but though as Nike has updated their run app in August and it's a shocker update. I have moved over to MapMyRun as it's so much better than Nike Run at this stage.

Their's so many Nike app runners who have complained to Nike. Read Nike Run app reviews.

Last edited:

xDKP

macrumors 68020
Feb 27, 2011
Denmark
Short of the long is the "Series 1" is terrible.

Again no... YOU think it's terrible and of course you are in your every right to think so, but to make it a general statement? Just no.

I've had several running watches and a lot of mechanical watches both new and vintage and haven't used any of them since I got my Apple Watch a year ago. Terrible? Not at all. For everyone? Of course not

MachineShedFred

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2010
This means nothing. It could be limited stock to Best Buy. It could be supply chain issues. It could be a whole host of things. And the Apple Watch has never sold well and nor will it. The "Series 2" proves this with it's incalculable number of variants.

Fitness watch? Don't make me laugh! Give me a Garmin any day of the week.

They've sold more smart watches that all the competition combined. They've sold more wrist watches, smart or not, in the same period of time than everyone except Rolex. Just how many do they need to sell before it's "selling well" by your metrics?

Also, my girlfriend linked me this article because she is eagerly waiting to dump her Garmin in favor of a Series 2 for her morning run, because it will do everything the Garmin does, and then still be useful for other things the other 23 hours of the day.

Reactions: xDKP

clibinarius

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2010
NY
watchOS 3 seems like it turns my existing one into a whole new watch. I don't require gps so will probably pass this time around.

My wife is both a runner and a swimmer, so its a welcome addition for her, and despite our use of homekit extensively (My watch is incredibly valuable on this point), we waited for this to come out.

As for me, I don't really require GPS, and won't upgrade, at least til the price comes down.

Reactions: xDKP and Peepo

tedson

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2002
The smarter play is to wait for Black Friday. You will be able to pick up an Apple Watch for $80—$100 off MSRP.

kdarling

macrumors P6
They've sold more wrist watches, smart or not, in the same period of time than everyone except Rolex. Just how many do they need to sell before it's "selling well" by your metrics?

No, not "everyone except Rolex", if by "everyone" you mean a company and not a brand name sold by that company.

Always look carefully at anything Cook says. Especially when he's trying to make things look like they're selling better than they are. He often uses numbers that are a bit misleading unless you know exactly what he was referring to.

When Cook said, "We became the number two watch brand in the world", he was using the brand stamped on a watch. He wasn't using a metric that anyone else uses. Everyone else goes by the brand's parent corporation.

The image he put up was:

applevrolex.jpg

That chart was carefully arranged to make Apple look just behind Rolex, by using watch branding, instead of the parent company.

Investors don't care about the sub branding as much as the source organization, which are often umbrella corporations that can include a dozen brands. For example:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
- The Swatch Group owns Longines, Tissot, Omega, Breguet, Rado, Hamiltion and many other brands.

- The Richemont organization owns Cartier, Jaeger-LeCoultre, A. Lange & Söhne, Azzedine Alaïa, Baume & Mercier, Chloé, Dunhill, IWC Schaffhausen, Giampiero Bodino, Lancel, Montblanc, Officine Panerai, Piaget, Peter Millar, Purdey, Roger Dubuis, Shanghai Tang, Vacheron Constantin, and Van Cleef & Arpels.

- Rolex makes Rolex and Tudor brands.

- The Fossil Group's brands include Fossil, Relic, Abacus, Michele Watch & Now Coach NY, Skagen,and Zodiac Watches, and they also make watches for Adidas, Emporio Armani, Karl Lagerfeld, Michael Kors, Marc by Marc Jacobs, Burberry, DKNY, Diesel and Armani Exchange.

- Citizen makes both Citizen and Bulova brands.

- LVMH makes Bulgari, Chaumet, De Beers, Hublot, TAG Heuer, Zenith.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thus the way that market share ranking is usually done, is by the parent group. For 2015, that was:

18.3 % - Swatch Group
15.7 % - Richemont
11.8 % - Rolex
_5.2 % - Fossil (USA)
_3.9 % - Citizen (Japan)
_3.4 % - Seiko (Japan)
_3.0 % - Patek Philippe
_2.1 % - Casio (Japan)

So, where Apple itself as the parent company fits in that normal ranking, depends on how many Fossil branded watches (vs other brands) that Fossil sells, and so forth, which is info we don't have, and Cook counts on that along with people not paying close attention to his meaning.

Last edited:
Reactions: Johnny907

Johnny907

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2014
Because people believe that the watch doesn't sell well, when clearly it does.
Not as well as they claim though, because here we are on Monday the 12, and all Watches are available for 9/16 delivery. Whats more, most iPhone 7 models (excluding Jet Black) are still available for in store pickup on the 16th. So either they A) aren't selling all that well and Apple is just artificially constricting their own stock to create a false sense of urgency, or B) people aren't aware they can buy Apple products from Best Buy. Given that Apple is refusing to release launch weekend sales numbers this year, and has never released sales numbers at all for the Watch, I guess we'll never know which was the case.
[doublepost=1473709821][/doublepost]
It feels so strange that Apple really fell into the one-year cycle for the Apple Watch. Who is buying a new watch every year? This is not a phone. Even a cheap plastic watch is meant to be worn for 2 to 4 years until it falls apart or the plastic glass is all scratched and unreadable. A big name expensive watch is worn 5 to 10 years. Gold watches are even given to your children. I still have my first "real" swiss watch (besides my old swatch) and refitted it with new bands and a new sapphire glass just out of nostalgia.

Apple should have at least gone for a two or three year cycle like the iPad or the Macs if they want to place it in the serious fashion and fitness department.
Year and a half actually. The Apple Watch was released early Spring of 2015.

godofredog

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2012
Not as well as they claim though, because here we are on Monday the 12, and all Watches are available for 9/16 delivery.

Not true, I ordered on Friday 9th, and got "Delivers 10 Oct, 2016 - 21 Oct, 2016"

screen-shot-09-12-16-at-04-22-pm-png.650713

Best Buy is offering delivery for the 19th, but I would (personally) never trust Best Buy over Apple.com:

screen-shot-09-12-16-at-04-27-pm-png.650716

Attachments

• Screen Shot 09-12-16 at 04.22 PM.PNG
    Screen Shot 09-12-16 at 04.22 PM.PNG
    19.1 KB · Views: 239
  • Screen Shot 09-12-16 at 04.27 PM.PNG
    Screen Shot 09-12-16 at 04.27 PM.PNG
    41 KB · Views: 225
Last edited:

Johnny907

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2014
Not true, I ordered on Friday 9th, and got "Delivers 10 Oct, 2016 - 21 Oct, 2016"

screen-shot-09-12-16-at-04-22-pm-png.650713

Best Buy is offering delivery for the 19th, but I would (personally) never trust Best Buy over Apple.com:

screen-shot-09-12-16-at-04-27-pm-png.650716
Seriously? BBY is saying they'll have your watch to you a week from right now, over Apple's "yeah maybe you'll see it in three weeks, maybe you'll see it in a month. What do you want from us? We're Apple and you let us get away with this sort of BS with your blind idolatry." I've been an Elite Rewards Member with BBY for going on 6 years now (basically as long as they've had the program) and I've never had them miss a shipment date once. On top of that, BBY gives you twice as long to return items than Apple, plus BBY also gives you points for every purchase which can be used for gift certificates towards your next purchase. Every 250 bucks gets you 5 bucks back in coupons. It's not a lot, but it's a heck of a lot more than Apple offers, which is to say not a GD thing at all. So loyalty rewards, longer return period, and a solid guaranteed delivery date two days after the official launch versus Apple's rough ballpark figure a month from now, but you're going with Apple because you wouldn't (personally) trust Best Buy?

Ok man. You be you.

Reactions: godofredog
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.