Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FuzzMunky

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2007
Not very secure. Crafty thieves would just have a slither of plastic at body temp to slide underneath the watch as they nab it. Im sure someone will start selling a tool. Bad idea to leave something authorised for a long time period. Asking for trouble.

gadgetguy03

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2012
Awesome!

It would be even better if the 5s could bypass the PIN using Touch ID. That way the only ones who have to enter a PIN are users of the 5 and 5c

snorkelman

Cancelled
Oct 25, 2010
I have bony wrists. With most watches I wear the back is rarely plastered up against the back of my wrist. How tight are people going to have to wear this thing? I think there's going to be a lot of re-entering your pin.

Yep implication for folks who wear their watches loosely was first thing that occurred to me when I heard of this security measure.

Also confirms there'll def not be any NFC payment capabilities when watch is out of juice (though that was pretty much a given the way Apple Pay is set up anyway).

cirus

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2011
Well if you prefer a loose fit prepare to enter and re-enter your password.

proline

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2012
Apple's ingenuity: 1
Jerks making up flaws in a system they know nothing about that isn't going live for another month: 0

Shookster

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2009
Is there a mechanism in place to prevent people from touching the watch with a sensor? For example, if you're standing in a crowd, someone standing next to you could potentially touch a sensor against the watch to initiate a payment.

It's harder to do this with the iPhone 6 when it's in your pocket because it requires Touch ID authorization, but the Apple Watch doesn't need this and it's easily accessible on your wrist.

UpperQuadrant

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2014
Love the idea. and I thought the mini card banks sent out was awesome. Plastic cards no more.

whoa there Cowboy, not every business has signed on to ApplePay yet, so it's probably wise to carry at least one CC just in case for the time being. It'll take quite a long time for 90% of the retail businesses to sign up for ApplePay.

gorbok

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2004
Auckland, New Zealand
Is there a mechanism in place to prevent people from touching the watch with a sensor? For example, if you're standing in a crowd, someone standing next to you could potentially touch a sensor against the watch to initiate a payment.

It's harder to do this with the iPhone 6 when it's in your pocket because it requires Touch ID authorization, but the Apple Watch doesn't need this and it's easily accessible on your wrist.

This is a concern with PayPass and PayWave credit cards. They don't need any PIN for transactions under $80 (at least here in NZ that's the case). The credit card companies are happy to refund any fraudulent transactions because it's worth their while to have people spending money more easily. I imagine the same is the case for Apple Pay.

coolnwo

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2007
Smart

Who ever came up with the skin idea needs a raise.

Thats such a great idea and very clever.

douglasf13

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2010
Yep implication for folks who wear their watches loosely was first thing that occurred to me when I heard of this security measure.

Also confirms there'll def not be any NFC payment capabilities when watch is out of juice (though that was pretty much a given the way Apple Pay is set up anyway).

Yeah, if you want any of the advantages of the rear sensors, you're going to have to wear the watch somewhat snug.

krravi

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2010
I have bony wrists. With most watches I wear the back is rarely plastered up against the back of my wrist. How tight are people going to have to wear this thing? I think there's going to be a lot of re-entering your pin.

And what about people with hairy hands?

krravi

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2010

I still think you have to authorize the payment. Failing which your watch could emit a loud beep..."Your digital wallet has been stolen"... upon which you catch the person next to you. Talk about getting caught sensor handed!

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley

If you're not wearing the watch close enough to measure your pulse (as just-for-show dangly jewelry?), just use your iPhone (and fingerprint sensor) to pay instead.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.