Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Daalseth

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2012
But you have to charge it

So you enter your PIN and can make payments. Then every night you get home and take it off to charge and the next day you have to re enter the PIN. Sounds like just one more POS to remember every morning while I'm getting ready for work. No thanks.

EDIT: Apparently needfx realized the same thing I did.

angoverdiano

macrumors newbie
Sep 6, 2014
Awesome, but...

This would be awesome! But there are two points that aren’t so good:

1) If it’s waterproof, but not water-resistant. That means every time you are swimming, taking a shower or other activities, you have to take it off.
2) if the battery life is just for one day, you have to take it off everyday.

These 2 points are going to make you put the pin code almost every time you are buying something.

Wishbrah

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2013
So you enter your PIN and can make payments. Then every night you get home and take it off to charge and the next day you have to re enter the PIN. Sounds like just one more POS to remember every morning while I'm getting ready for work. No thanks.

If your world is on the cusp of crumbling because you have to enter a 4-digit code once per day, you might have bigger problems bro.

DrWeevil

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2009
And drag the dead body into a Walgreen's or Target to buy something? Seriously, some of these scenarios are as ridiculous as when people were saying "Watch out! People will start stealing your fingerprints off your coffee mug at work and fabricating fake fingers to unlock your 5S!" :rolleyes:

Your sentiment against dragging a dead body into walgreens I agree with… BUT… I can't believe nobody has addressed this:

Heavy sleepers / passed out drunk / etc: now anybody can access your phone with just putting your finger to the TouchID. It has made hacking their phones EASIER since there is no mental input required. That goes to speak about just accessing your contacts / bank or ANY now-TouchID-protected apps, messages, etc. Further, right now it's just walgreens… I can see them allowing person-to-person payments in the not-too-distant future… hell, prob will be done on Day 1 with Paypal/Venmo/Square… or BitCoin/Altcoin currencies… where there is no third-party viewing the transaction.

Hmmmmm

powerstrokin

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2013

Every single time you make a transaction withOUT the Watch, you're doing more steps than simply waving your wrist in front of a reader.

Jesus H Christ... what more do you people want?!

flux73

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2009
Hopefully it detects that the hand is warm to prevent thefts.
This again? So how do you imagine this playing out? A criminal slices off a person's arm above the Watch, and then takes it to the store to use to buy stuff? And nobody would notice a dismembered hand being used at checkout counter?

:rolleyes:

Last edited:

powerstrokin

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2013
Your sentiment against dragging a dead body into walgreens I agree with… BUT… I can't believe nobody has addressed this:

Heavy sleepers / passed out drunk / etc: now anybody can access your phone with just putting your finger to the TouchID. It has made hacking their phones EASIER since there is no mental input required. That goes to speak about just accessing your contacts / bank or ANY now-TouchID-protected apps, messages, etc. Further, right now it's just walgreens… I can see them allowing person-to-person payments in the not-too-distant future… hell, prob will be done on Day 1 with Paypal/Venmo/Square… or BitCoin/Altcoin currencies… where there is no third-party viewing the transaction.

Hmmmmm

Sigh.. are people so zombified and unaware of their surroundings that this is really a big issue?

A heavy sleeper probably knows he's a heavy sleeper and can take precautions against being around untrustworthy people.

The drunk who's always drunk and passed out probably doesn't have much to steal anyways, and maybe deserves whatever he gets for being a drunk. (sort of kidding..)

Seriously.. what the eff do you people want, anyways? You'll bitch and moan about everything apparently. Good grief.

genovelle

macrumors 68020
May 8, 2008
Not very secure. Crafty thieves would just have a slither of plastic at body temp to slide underneath the watch as they nab it. Im sure someone will start selling a tool. Bad idea to leave something authorised for a long time period. Asking for trouble.
If you just ignore the fact the the primary purpose of the sensors is to monitor your pulse via the flow of blood beneath the skin.

thewebb

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2014
AZ
not sure they'd use heartbeat to determine contact for purpose of payments, more likely just capacitive touch or pressure exerted - otherwise there really would be a problem for folks with prosthetics.

Interesting idea but it doesn't have capacitive touch or pressure sensors on the back of the watch

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
These 2 points are going to make you put the pin code almost every time you are buying something.

Many places in the world (non-US) use chip and PIN tech for their credit/debit cards, so how is this any different? I'm surprised only just now have we gone to chips and we're doing chip and signature which isn't really that much secure.

Daalseth

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2012
If your world is on the cusp of crumbling because you have to enter a 4-digit code once per day, you might have bigger problems bro.

If it's just a 4 digit code then as a security measure it's garbage.
No it's not a big thing but it's one more thing. Having to log into my wristwatch when I put it on is so kludgy, so cumbersome, so...not what Apple strives to be.

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
Is there a mechanism in place to prevent people from touching the watch with a sensor? For example, if you're standing in a crowd, someone standing next to you could potentially touch a sensor against the watch to initiate a payment.

It's harder to do this with the iPhone 6 when it's in your pocket because it requires Touch ID authorization, but the Apple Watch doesn't need this and it's easily accessible on your wrist.

"Taptic feedback" whenever it asks for a payment?

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Sounds reasonable I guess--but I'd hope ultimately the phone could (at least optionally) authorize the watch automatically, maybe the first time you unlock your phone after putting on the watch. Use TouchID instead of an annoying PIN. After all, you're using TouchID to unlock anyway.

And all objections come down to: is it MORE secure than previous solutions? Is it MORE convenient?

If "perfection" is impossible, I'll settle for MUCH, MUCH better!

P.S. The ratio of people-who-read-the-article to people-who-commented-with-concerns is exceptionally low today :)

Last edited:

CFreymarc

Suspended
Sep 4, 2009
Unless they take your wrist with the watch...

Necrosis, even in its early stage, is easily detectable via an IR skin detection systems. First, there is a rapid loss in skin temperature and then a loss in elasticity. Love to know if such detection is coded into these sensors.

The Mad Hatter

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2004
SoCal
This again? So how do you imagine this playing out? A criminal spots an Apple Watch, slices off his hand above the Watch, and then takes it to the store to use to buy stuff? And nobody would notice a severed hand being used at checkout counter?

:rolleyes:

Not to mention, that since it also detects your pulse ... If I remember correctly ... Severed hands don't have one. ;-)

powerstrokin

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2013
security wise, no
convenience wise, yes

maybe it should take a snapshot of the wrist skin area like touch id

Why don't we just cut out all the bull and go straight to implants?

Come on, we all know it's going to happen anyways.

Baby steps.. Screw that. Let's just get the implants already.

I actually am sort of serious. (Downside to any form of payment is those who control it, so really... there's no way around that one... unless the human race just goes extinct.. put us all out of our misery.)

gorbok

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2004
Auckland, New Zealand
Ultimately I think the Apple Pay/watch is a neat idea...but I don't think it's going to be prime-time for at least 5 years...so many issues to overcome. Some examples are all the stores that need to buy new equipment,

I'm not sure what it's like in the US or elsewhere, but here in NZ (and I know over in Australia) nearly every store already has NFC technology for PayPass (MasterCard) and PayWave (VISA) credit cards. Apple Pay uses the same technology, so the infrastructure is already in place. I could get an Apple Watch tomorrow and use it in nearly every shop I frequent without any hassle.

Kabeyun

macrumors 68040
Mar 27, 2004
Eastern USA
If the whole reassuring idea was that Apple Pay needed something as unique and secure as your fingerprint, what the hell is the point of circumventing that with skin contact and a few-digit PIN? Someone is going to figure out how to hack this. A chain is only as strong as its weakest link.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.